Last updated on October 8th, 2023 at 03:04 am
An Australian Meat Pies recipe provides an instant sense of warmth and satisfaction. A real staple of Australian cooking, this tasty delight is stuffed with savory minced beef and topped with luscious gravy. In this essay, we’ll get down to the meat of the matter, discussing the techniques of making these famous pies from scratch without giving away any particular recipes.
The delectable filling, made of ground beef and a rich, thick sauce, is the lifeblood of an Australian meat pie. Minced beef or a combination of beef and lamb are usually the main attraction, seasoned with salt, pepper, and a variety of fragrant spices. The foundation flavor comes from sautéed onions and garlic, and Worcestershire sauce or tomato paste is added for depth. The addition of flour and stock gives the gravy’s silky texture and delectable flavor, making it ideal for coating the meat.
The flaky, golden pastry crust is an essential component of every Australian Meat Pies recipe. Puff pastry, an essential ingredient, may be purchased premade or, for the adventurous cook, cooked from scratch. Always remember that cold butter yields flakier, lighter dough, so keep the kitchen chilly when creating the crust.
Want more ideas to round-out your Australian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
- 30 Unique Australian Foods You Have to Try
- 25 Easy Australian Food Traditions to Try At Home
- The 12 Best Australian Chicken Recipes
- 33 Traditional Australian Food Recipes (Updated 2022)
Short-crust pastry is used for the bottom and puff pastry for the top of the pastry. Making a basic dough from flour, butter, salt, and water serves as the foundation. Overworking the dough is a common problem, therefore it’s best to deal with it as little and as soon as possible. Puff pastry, on the other hand, achieves its signature flaky layers via a multistep process of stacking dough and butter. Both varieties of pastry are refrigerated for a bit after preparation before rolling out and shaping.
The size and form of the pie pans or molds are only two of many considerations during assembly. Carefully pressing the short-crust pastry into the bottom of the mold ensures an equal layer throughout. The delicious filling is then carefully spooned into the pastry-lined pan. The next step is to wrap the puff pastry over the top, trim it, and crimp the edges with a fork.
When the Australian Meat Pies recipes have been put together, they are given a golden hue by being brushed with an egg wash. It is essential to preheat the oven so that the pies will have a crisp and flaky crust. After 20-30 minutes in a hot oven, the temperature is reduced so the filling may finish cooking without scorching the dough. The final result should have a golden, flaky crust that encases a savory filling that cries out to be eaten.
Making the genuine Australian Meat Pies recipes is an art form in itself, with careful attention to detail in the preparation of both the filling and the dough. The end product is a warm and satisfying treat that is representative of Australian cuisine.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
1. Traditional: One of the main reasons people love the Australian meat pies recipe is because it is a traditional dish that has been enjoyed by Australians for generations. The meat pie is a staple food in Australia, and it is often served at sporting events, picnics, and other outdoor activities. The rich history of the dish makes it a beloved part of Australian culture, and many people feel a sense of nostalgia and pride when they eat it.
2. Delicious: Another reason why people love the Australian meat pies recipe is because it is delicious. The pie is made with a combination of savory meat, vegetables, and gravy, which creates a rich and satisfying flavor. The crust is flaky and buttery, adding an extra layer of texture to the dish. The delicious taste of the meat pie makes it a favorite among Australians and visitors to the country alike.
3. Convenient: Another reason why people love the Australian meat pies recipe is because it is convenient. The pies are easy to make, and they can be eaten on the go. They are often sold at bakeries, cafes, and food trucks, making them a popular snack or lunch option for people who are on the move. The convenience of the dish makes it a practical and accessible choice for busy individuals.
How To Make Our Australian Meat Pies Recipe
Ingredients: (8 Servings)
For the Filling:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
For the Pastry:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
6-8 tbsp ice water
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
For the Filling:
2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain off the excess fat and set the beef aside.
3. In the same skillet, sauté the onion and garlic until they are tender.
4. Add the flour to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Gradually stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add the cooked beef and mixed vegetables to the skillet, and stir to combine.
For the Pastry:
8. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt for the pastry.
9. Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
10. Gradually add ice water until the dough comes together in a ball.
11. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
12. Cut the pastry into 8 rounds, using a biscuit cutter or large glass.
13. Press each round into a greased muffin tin.
14. Spoon the beef mixture into the pastry-lined muffin tins.
15. Cut out 8 more rounds of pastry, and place them on top of the beef mixture, crimping the edges to seal.
16. Cut a small slit in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
17. Bake the pies for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Nutritional Information For the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
Saturated Fat: 20g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes.
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
Biscuit cutter or large glass
Greased muffin tin
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
To store leftovers of the Australian meat pies recipe, allow them to cool to room temperature before transferring them to an airtight container or wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Substitutions For the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
Ground beef can be substituted with ground chicken, turkey, pork, or lamb.
Mixed vegetables can be substituted with any vegetables of your choice such as mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, and green beans.
For a different flavor, you can add cheese to the filling, or use different herbs and spices.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Australian Meat Pies Recipe
Ground beef can be substituted with soy crumbles, textured vegetable protein (TVP), or lentils.
Vegetable broth can be used instead of beef broth.
The mixed vegetables can be substituted with any vegetarian or vegan protein such as tofu, tempeh, or chickpeas.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use chilled butter and ice-cold water when making the pastry dough to ensure a flaky crust.
Pre-cook the vegetables before adding them to the filling to ensure that they are tender and fully cooked.
To prevent the pastry from sticking to the muffin tin, grease the tin well or use muffin liners.
Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut the pastry into rounds to prevent the dough from tearing.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
How To Serve the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
The Australian meat pies can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature. They can be enjoyed as a main dish or as a snack. They can be served on their own or with a side dish of your choice. To add some extra flavor, you can serve them with ketchup, mustard, or hot sauce.
FAQs About the Australian Meat Pies Recipe
What is an Australian meat pie?
An Australian meat pie is a savory pie that consists of a pastry shell filled with diced or minced meat, gravy, and vegetables. It is a popular snack or meal in Australia and is often sold at sporting events, bakeries, and cafes.
What type of meat is used in Australian meat pies?
Ground beef is the most common meat used in Australian meat pies, but lamb, pork, and chicken can also be used. The meat is typically seasoned with herbs and spices and mixed with vegetables and gravy before being baked in a pastry shell.
Can Australian meat pies be frozen?
Yes, Australian meat pies can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. To freeze, wrap the pies tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. When ready to eat, thaw the pies in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes.
How do I reheat Australian meat pies?
To reheat Australian meat pies, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the pies on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can microwave the pies for 1-2 minutes on high, but this may cause the pastry to become soggy.
Are Australian meat pies healthy?
Australian meat pies are high in calories, fat, and sodium, so they should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. To make them healthier, use lean meat, reduce the amount of salt and fat in the recipe, and add more vegetables to the filling.
I just tried the recipe for Australian Meat Pies recipe, and I can state without reservation that it is one of my new favorite foods. The combination of flaky pastry and rich fillings of meat, sauce, and veggies is irresistible. I was apprehensive to try the meal at first since I had never had a meat pie before, but after my first mouthful, I was hooked.
The instructions were clear, and I was able to find all the necessary components at my neighborhood supermarket. For the filling, I used ground beef and added vegetables like carrots, peas, and onions for flavor and nutrition. The pastry was buttery and flaky, and it went well with the filling.
The adaptability of the Australian Meat Pies recipe was one of its many appealing qualities. To suit various tastes and preferences, the filling may be altered. Every time I prepare the filling, I can alter the taste by adding fresh spices and veggies. It’s convenient to bring and eat on the move, making it a fantastic meal to offer during events.
The Australian Meat Pies recipe was very impressive since it was so warm and fulfilling. Pies with warm fillings and flaky crust are the ideal antidote to the bitter cold of winter. It was also a good recipe to prepare in advance, since the leftovers tasted just as good the following day.
In conclusion, if you’re searching for a hearty and satisfying lunch, I definitely suggest that you try this Australian Meat Pies recipe. It is a great option for busy people or anybody searching for a substantial supper since it is simple to prepare, adaptable, and filling. The Aussie Meat Pies recipe has certainly earned a place in my regular dinner rotation, and I can’t wait to cook them again.
Australian Meat Pies
- Large Skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Biscuit cutter or large glass
- Greased muffin tin
For the Filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
For the Pastry:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 6 to 8 tbsp ice water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
For the Filling:
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain off the excess fat and set the beef aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion and garlic until they are tender.
- Add the flour to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked beef and mixed vegetables to the skillet, and stir to combine.
For the Pastry:
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt for the pastry.
- Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water until the dough comes together in a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Cut the pastry into 8 rounds, using a biscuit cutter or large glass.
- Press each pastry round into a greased muffin tin.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the pastry-lined muffin tins.
- Cut out 8 more rounds of pastry, and place them on top of the beef mixture, crimping the edges to seal.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pies for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Tips and TricksUse chilled butter and ice-cold water when making the pastry dough to ensure a flaky crust. Pre-cook the vegetables before adding them to the filling to ensure that they are tender and fully cooked. To prevent the pastry from sticking to the muffin tin, grease the tin well or use muffin liners. Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut the pastry into rounds to prevent the dough from tearing.
You May Want to Join Our Boondocking Group on Facebook For More Information
You May Want to Join Our Campfire Recipes Group on Facebook For More Information
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape