Last updated on October 23rd, 2023 at 01:57 am
Many people have a soft spot in their hearts Australian vanilla slice recipe, a traditional delicacy also known as a custard slice. This decadent dessert is the ideal treat for any celebration, since it consists of layers of flaky pastry filled with silky custard and topped with a sweet, glossy frosting. In this detailed tutorial, you’ll learn how to make this delicious dessert from scratch, satisfying your sweet taste and wowing your visitors with an authentically Australian treat.
Start the Australian vanilla slice recipe by rolling out sheets of puff pastry, either store-bought or cooked from scratch according to your preferred recipe, to make the light, flaky pastry layers. Dock the surface of the pastry sheets with a fork to avoid excessive puffing while baking, then place on baking pans coated with parchment paper. Pastries should be baked in an oven warmed to 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the recipe, until they are brown and crisp. Pastry sheets should be cooked and then allowed to cool on wire racks.
Make the smooth custard filling while the pastry bakes. Sugar, cornstarch, and milk should be combined in a pot and whisked constantly over medium heat to avoid lumps, as per your chosen recipe. Keep whisking until the mixture thickens and has a velvety, smooth texture. Take the pan off the heat and add the butter and vanilla essence, whisking constantly until the butter has melted and everything is combined.
When putting together an Australian vanilla slice recipe, it’s best to use a dish that’s just a little bigger on both sides than your cooked pastry sheets. Trim the edges of one of the cooled pastry sheets to ensure a good fit in the bottom of the dish. The heated custard filling should be carefully poured over the pastry layer and smoothed out with a spatula. Place the second pastry sheet on top of the custard layer carefully, making sure it is lined properly with the first.
Want more ideas to round-out your Australian Recipes Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Make the frosting for the top layer while the constructed vanilla slice is chilling in the fridge. Mix together powdered sugar, softened butter, and a splash of milk or water according to your preferred icing recipe. Combine everything in a bowl and stir until it reaches a spreadable consistency. You may alter the icing’s color and taste by adding food coloring or extract.
After chilling the vanilla slice to firm the custard filling, take it out. Cover the top pastry layer completely with the frosting that you’ve made. Create patterns or swirls with a skewer or the point of a knife for more flair.
If you want the frosting on your vanilla cake to set completely, put the piece back in the fridge for another hour or two. After the dessert has cooled, cut it into squares or rectangles using a sharp knife and wiping it clean between cuts to ensure clean edges.
With the help of this comprehensive tutorial, you’ll be baking a delicious and enticing Australian vanilla slice recipe in no time. This traditional dessert has been a crowd pleaser for generations because to its layers of buttery pastry, smooth custard, and sugary frosting. Indulge your sweet tooth with a little piece of Australia in every mouthful.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
1. Delicious Taste: One of the main reasons people love the Australian vanilla slice recipe is its delicious taste. The combination of flaky puff pastry and smooth, creamy vanilla custard is a classic flavor pairing that never goes out of style. The sweetness of the custard is perfectly balanced by the buttery pastry, creating a flavor explosion that is simply irresistible.
2. Simple Recipe: Another reason people love the Australian vanilla slice recipe is its simplicity. The recipe only requires a handful of ingredients, and the process of making it is relatively straightforward. Even novice bakers can easily create a beautiful vanilla slice with just a little bit of practice.
3. Crowd-Pleaser: Finally, the Australian vanilla slice recipe is a true crowd-pleaser. It is a dessert that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, making it a perfect option for family gatherings or office parties. Its beautiful presentation also makes it a show-stopping dessert that is sure to impress guests.
How To Make Our Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 sheet of puff pastry
2 cups of milk
4 egg yolks
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of cornstarch
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and cut it in half. Place the two halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and prick them all over with a fork.
3. Bake the puff pastry for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, egg yolks, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Whisk everything together until smooth.
5. Heat the saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and let it cool to room temperature.
7. Once the puff pastry and pastry cream are both cool, spread a thick layer of the pastry cream over one of the puff pastry halves. Place the other half of puff pastry on top of the cream layer.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut the vanilla slice into 8 equal portions.
9. Dust the tops of the vanilla slices with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Saturated Fat: 4g
Prep Time for: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
To store leftover vanilla slice, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It is best to keep the slices in a single layer to prevent them from sticking together. When ready to serve, allow the slices to come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Substitutions For the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Puff pastry: If you do not have puff pastry, you can use pie crust or phyllo dough as a substitute. However, the texture and flavor will be slightly different.
Milk: You can use any type of milk, such as almond or soy milk, as a substitute for dairy milk. However, this will also affect the flavor and texture of the pastry cream.
Cornstarch: Arrowroot or potato starch can be used as a substitute for cornstarch in equal amounts.
Vanilla extract: Vanilla bean paste or vanilla powder can be used as a substitute for vanilla extract in equal amounts.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
The vanilla slice recipe is already vegetarian, as it does not contain any meat or animal products. However, if you want to make it vegan, you can substitute the dairy milk with almond, soy, or coconut milk, and use vegan puff pastry.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use store-bought puff pastry to save time and effort.
Make sure the pastry cream is completely cooled before spreading it onto the puff pastry to prevent the pastry from becoming soggy.
Dust the puff pastry with flour before rolling it out to prevent it from sticking to the surface.
Use a ruler or measuring tape to ensure that the puff pastry is cut into equal halves.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Fresh berries or fruit salad
Whipped cream or ice cream
Coffee or tea
How To Serve the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Remove the vanilla slices from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Dust the tops of the vanilla slices with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
Serve the vanilla slices on a dessert plate or platter, with a garnish of fresh berries or fruit salad on the side, if desired.
Add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream to make it even more indulgent.
Enjoy the delicious combination of flaky puff pastry and creamy vanilla custard.
FAQs About the Australian Vanilla Slice Recipe
Can I make the puff pastry from scratch?
Yes, you can make puff pastry from scratch, but it requires a bit more effort and time. You can find many recipes online to guide you through the process.
How do I prevent the puff pastry from getting soggy?
To prevent the puff pastry from getting soggy, make sure that the pastry cream is completely cooled before spreading it onto the pastry. Also, do not assemble the vanilla slice until just before serving. If the vanilla slice needs to be stored, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before serving.
Can I freeze the Australian vanilla slice recipe?
It is not recommended to freeze vanilla slice, as it can affect the texture and flavor of the pastry cream and pastry. It is best to consume it within 3 days of making it.
Can I use a different flavor for the pastry cream?
Yes, you can use different flavors for the pastry cream, such as chocolate, lemon, or coffee. Simply replace the vanilla extract with your preferred flavoring and adjust the quantity as necessary.
Can I use a different type of pastry for the Australian vanilla slice recipe?
Yes, you can use different types of pastry, such as pie crust or phyllo dough. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the vanilla slice may be slightly different. Puff pastry is recommended for the best results.
I’ve tried a lot of desserts, but the Australian vanilla slice recipe is something special. The combination of flaky puff pastry and smooth vanilla custard is simply divine. It’s not hard to see why so many people like this dessert.
One thing I like about this Australian vanilla slice recipe is how easy it is to follow. Even a beginner baker can make a beautiful and tasty dessert with just a few simple ingredients. The recipe is also flexible because it can be eaten as a snack in the afternoon or as a show-stopping dessert for special events.
Another thing that makes the Australian vanilla slice recipe stand out is that it brings back memories. Many people have a soft spot in their hearts for this dessert because it reminds them of their childhood. Whether it was a special treat from a bakery or something their grandmother used to make, the taste and smell of vanilla slice can bring back happy memories of simpler times.
Of course, no dessert is perfect, and when making a Australian vanilla slice recipe, there are some things to keep in mind. Before spreading the pastry cream on the pastry to keep it from getting soggy, you need to let it cool all the way. Also, the pastry can be a little fragile, so be careful when cutting and putting together the vanilla slices.
In general, the Australian vanilla slice recipe is a classic dessert that will never go out of style. It’s a real crowd-pleaser because it tastes great, is easy to make, can be used in many ways, and brings back memories. I really think you should try this recipe, no matter how much or how little you know about baking. Your taste buds will appreciate it.
Australian Vanilla Slice
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Medium saucepan
- Sharp knife
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and cut it in half. Place the two halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and prick them all over with a fork.
- Bake the puff pastry for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, egg yolks, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Whisk everything together until smooth.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the puff pastry and pastry cream are both cool, spread a thick layer of the pastry cream over one of the puff pastry halves. Place the other half of puff pastry on top of the cream layer.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the vanilla slice into 8 equal portions.
- Dust the tops of the vanilla slices with powdered sugar before serving.
Tips and TricksUse store-bought puff pastry to save time and effort. Make sure the pastry cream is completely cooled before spreading it onto the puff pastry to prevent the pastry from becoming soggy. Dust the puff pastry with flour before rolling it out to prevent it from sticking to the surface. Use a ruler or measuring tape to ensure that the puff pastry is cut into equal halves.
You May Want to Join Our Boondocking Group on Facebook For More Information
You May Want to Join Our Campfire Recipes Group on Facebook For More Information
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape