Last updated on October 8th, 2023 at 03:03 am
The traditional Australian cheesy potato bake recipe is the perfect dish for individuals who want to treat themselves to something warm, comforting, and a touch decadent. Australians love this meal for its delectable combination of sliced potatoes, cheese, and a rich, creamy sauce. This tutorial will guide you through the steps of making your own Australian cheesy potato bake recipe at home, but it will not include the actual items needed to make it.
A sharp knife or mandoline slicer, a large mixing bowl, a saucepan, a whisk, and a deep baking dish are all things you’ll need to get started. In addition, make sure your oven is at the correct baking temperature by preheating it.
Preparing the potatoes is the first step in making the best Australian cheesy potato bake recipe. Choose good-quality, starchy potatoes that will bake evenly and keep their form. The potatoes should be washed, peeled, and sliced very thinly so that they cook evenly. For this job, a mandoline slicer comes in handy, although a sharp knife will do just well. Put the potato slices in a separate bowl.
The next step is to make the luxurious sauce that will coat the potato slices in deliciousness. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a pot and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Being the foundation of your sauce, the roux has to be cooked for a few minutes to remove the raw flour flavor.
Want more ideas to round-out your Australian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
- 30 Unique Australian Foods You Have to Try
- 25 Easy Australian Food Traditions to Try At Home
- The 12 Best Australian Chicken Recipes
- 33 Traditional Australian Food Recipes (Updated 2022)
Whisk constantly as you pour in the milk to avoid any lumps. Stirring constantly, keep cooking the sauce over medium heat until it thickens to a rich, velvety consistency. Take the sauce off the stove and stir in some shredded cheese. Incorporate the melted cheese into the sauce by stirring it in well. Add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings or herbs to taste to the sauce.
The fun part, constructing the Australian cheesy potato bake recipe, has finally here. Arrange the thinly sliced potatoes in an even layer in a deep baking dish, making sure that some of the slices overlap. Spread a bit of the cheese sauce over the potatoes so that it completely covers them. Maintain alternating layers of potatoes and cheese sauce, topping up with a healthy helping of the latter.
Bake the layered Cheesy Potato Bake in a preheated oven until the potatoes are soft, the sauce is bubbling, and the top is golden and wonderful, checking occasionally. Keep a close check on your creation while it bakes since the baking time will change based on the size of your potato slices and the depth of your baking dish.
After the timer goes off, take the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake recipe out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. You may pair this tasty dish with a green salad and your favorite protein, or eat it on its own.
The traditional Australian cheesy potato bake recipe will allow you to make and enjoy the delicious, soothing meal at home with your loved ones. Enjoy your meal!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
1. Comfort food: The Australian Cheesy Potato Bake recipe is the epitome of comfort food. It’s rich, creamy, and cheesy, which makes it a perfect dish to enjoy on a cold winter night. The soft and creamy potatoes make it filling and satisfying, while the melted cheese on top adds an extra layer of indulgence. People crave comfort food, and this recipe satisfies that craving perfectly.
3. Crowd-pleaser: This dish is a crowd-pleaser, which makes it perfect for potlucks, family gatherings, or any occasion where you need to feed a large group of people. The combination of potatoes and cheese is universally loved, and it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t enjoy this dish. It’s also a great option for picky eaters, as it’s a simple and classic dish.
3. Leftovers: The Australian Cheesy Potato Bake recipe is one of those dishes that taste even better the next day. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated in the oven or microwave. It’s an excellent option for meal prep, and you can enjoy it for lunch or dinner throughout the week. The reheated cheesy sauce is even more delicious, and the potatoes retain their creamy texture.
How To Make Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
2.2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream, milk, minced garlic, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
3. Layer half of the sliced potatoes in the greased baking dish.
4. Pour half of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
5. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
6. Repeat the layers with the remaining sliced potatoes, cream mixture, and shredded cheddar cheese.
7. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
9. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown and bubbly.
10. Let the dish cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Saturated Fat: 15g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Large mixing bowl
9×13 inch baking dish
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Leftovers of the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the desired portion in the oven or microwave until heated through.
Substitutions For the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Heavy cream can be substituted with half and half or whole milk.
Milk can be substituted with any non-dairy milk such as almond or soy milk.
Cheddar cheese can be substituted with any type of cheese such as mozzarella or Swiss cheese.
Dried thyme can be substituted with other dried herbs such as rosemary or oregano.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
The recipe is already vegetarian-friendly as it does not contain any meat products.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use a mandoline slicer to thinly slice the potatoes for even cooking.
If you prefer a crispier texture, remove the aluminum foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
For a creamier texture, use Yukon gold potatoes instead of regular potatoes.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Roasted vegetables such as carrots or broccoli
Grilled chicken or fish
Salad with a vinaigrette dressing
How To Serve the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Let the dish cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut into portions and serve hot. The dish can be garnished with fresh herbs such as parsley or chives for added flavor and presentation.
FAQs About the Australian Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe
Can I make the dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the dish a day ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. However, it’s best to add the shredded cheese on top just before baking to ensure a crispy and golden crust.
Can I freeze the dish?
Yes, the dish can be frozen before baking. Prepare the dish as directed, but do not bake it. Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, thaw the dish in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed.
Can I use different types of cheese?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you prefer or have on hand. However, be mindful that different cheeses have different melting points, which can affect the texture of the dish.
Can I use different herbs or spices?
Yes, you can use different herbs or spices to flavor the dish. Thyme is a classic herb used in this recipe, but rosemary, oregano, or parsley can also be used. Be sure to use dried herbs instead of fresh herbs, as the baking time is too long for fresh herbs.
Can I make a smaller or larger serving size?
Yes, you can adjust the recipe to make a smaller or larger serving size. Simply adjust the ingredient quantities accordingly. Keep in mind that the baking time may also need to be adjusted depending on the size of the baking dish and the thickness of the potatoes.
A dish that has been enjoyed by many for many decades is the Australian cheesy potato bake recipe. Everyone desires it because of its silky smooth texture and delectable melted cheese. The dish is simple to prepare, adaptable, and flexible, making it ideal for any event or feast.
This dish is one of my favorites because of how easy it is to prepare. You can make a great and filling meal with only a few items. Because of its adaptability, this dish is a great option for anybody with food allergies or other dietary needs.
The Australian cheesy potato bake recipe is fantastic because it can be prepared in advance and frozen for use. This makes it a great choice for meal preparation or when you need to serve a large group. It’s also a fantastic way to use up any leftover potatoes you may have in your cupboard.
The Aussie Cheesy Potato Bake is a recipe that never fails to please. It may be enjoyed at any time of year because to its warm and soothing qualities, and its adaptability makes it an essential ingredient in every recipe collection. Try this recipe the next time you need a simple meal that will wow your guests. You won’t be let down.
Australian Cheesy Potato Bake
- Large mixing bowl
- 9x13 inch baking dish
- Cheese grater
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Aluminum foil
- 2.2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream, milk, minced garlic, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes in the greased baking dish.
- Pour half of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining sliced potatoes, cream mixture, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let the dish cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tips and TricksUse a mandoline slicer to thinly slice the potatoes for even cooking. If you prefer a crispier texture, remove the aluminum foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking. For a creamier texture, use Yukon gold potatoes instead of regular potatoes.
You May Want to Join Our Boondocking Group on Facebook For More Information
You May Want to Join Our Campfire Recipes Group on Facebook For More Information
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape