Last updated on October 8th, 2023 at 02:50 am
Tender, luscious, and bursting with flavor, the Australian leg of lamb recipe is often the star of celebrations and family dinners. The roast is generally served with a combination of herbs and garlic for an extra layer of flavor. Here, we’ll show you how to prepare an Australian leg of lamb that’s sure to be a hit at your next dinner party.
For the Australian leg of lamb recipe look for a leg of lamb that is bright crimson in color and has a coating of white marbling to ensure that it is of great quality. After choosing your lamb, shave off any extra fat, leaving around 1/4 inch of fat covering to retain moisture throughout roasting. As you’re getting the other stuff ready, pat the lamb dry with paper towels and leave it aside.
Australian leg of lamb recipes are best when rubbed with a mixture of herbs and garlic. Making the rub is as simple as combining minced fresh garlic with a variety of finely chopped herbs including rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then add just enough olive oil to form a paste.
Apply the herb and garlic rub liberally to the lamb leg, coating it well and evenly with your hands or a spoon. Make a few slits in the meat with a sharp knife and stuff the rub mixture in there for extra flavor. After seasoning, the lamb needs at least 30 minutes to rest at room temperature. This will allow the flavors to blend and the meat to come to room temperature before cooking, resulting in more uniform results.
To bake successfully, preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) is required. The lamb should be placed on a rack in the center of the oven, with enough space between the rack and the top and sides to allow for browning.
Want more ideas to round-out your Australian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
- 30 Unique Australian Foods You Have to Try
- 25 Easy Australian Food Traditions to Try At Home
- The 12 Best Australian Chicken Recipes
- 33 Traditional Australian Food Recipes (Updated 2022)
Roasting rack + roasting pan = perfect lamb leg. By doing so, the meat will cook more evenly and quickly, while also developing a crisp exterior. To get the required doneness (medium-rare is normally 130-135°F, while medium is 135-145°F), roast the lamb in the preheated oven for around 1 to 1.5 hours. Remember that the lamb will continue to cook a little bit after you take it out of the oven.
Remove the lamb from the oven when it reaches the right temperature inside and let it rest, covered with foil, for 15 to 20 minutes. A juicy, tender roast is the outcome when the fluids are given a chance to disperse themselves throughout the meat. The lamb leg should be rested before being carved into small pieces.
Carved leg of lamb may be accompanied with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a simple green salad. Pan juices or your preferred gravy may be drizzled over the lamb for extra flavor.
After reading this, you’ll be able to crete a Australian leg of lamb recipe like a pro. The eyes and taste sensations of your loved ones will be captivated by this stunning display piece during your next celebration. Prepare to get your hands dirty, because it’s time to whip up a meal that will leave your visitors begging for more.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
1. Flavor: The Australian leg of lamb recipe is known for its rich, meaty flavor that is hard to resist. The lamb is marinated in a mixture of herbs and spices, including garlic, rosemary, and thyme, which gives it a delicious, savory taste. The marinade not only infuses the meat with flavor but also tenderizes it, making it juicy and succulent.
2. Nutritional Value: Lamb is a rich source of protein and nutrients, such as iron, zinc, and vitamin B12, which are essential for maintaining good health. The Australian leg of lamb recipe is a great way to incorporate lamb into your diet and enjoy its nutritional benefits.
3. Easy to Prepare: Despite its impressive flavor and cultural significance, the Australian leg of lamb recipe is surprisingly easy to prepare. With just a few simple ingredients and basic cooking techniques, you can create a mouth-watering meal that will impress your family and friends. The recipe can be adapted to suit your preferences, whether you prefer your lamb rare, medium, or well-done. So, whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner cook, this Australian leg of lamb recipe is a great option for a delicious and stress-free meal.
How To Make Our Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 leg of lamb, bone-in (about 4-5 pounds)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
1. In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create a marinade.
2. Place the leg of lamb in a large roasting pan, and use a sharp knife to make a few deep cuts into the meat.
3. Rub the marinade all over the lamb, making sure to get the mixture into the cuts.
4. Cover the roasting pan with foil, and place it in the preheated oven.
5. Roast the lamb for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare or 160°F (71°C) for medium.
6. Remove the foil, and continue roasting for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lamb is nicely browned on the outside.
7. Let the lamb rest for about 10 minutes before carving it into slices.
Nutritional Information For the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
Saturated Fat: 7g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
Large roasting pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
To store leftover Australian leg of lamb, let it cool down to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 4 days. To reheat, place the lamb in a baking dish, cover with foil, and heat in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes.
Substitutions For the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
For the leg of lamb, you can use lamb shoulder or beef roast as a substitute.
Instead of garlic, you can use garlic powder or minced shallots for a milder flavor.
Dried herbs can be used instead of fresh ones, but reduce the quantity by half.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
To make a vegetarian version of the Australian leg of lamb recipe, you can substitute the lamb with grilled or roasted portobello mushrooms. Marinate the mushrooms in the same herb and spice mixture as the lamb, and cook until tender.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Make sure to let the lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to settle.
To get a crispy crust, remove the foil covering for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.
You can add vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and onions to the roasting pan for a complete meal.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
Roasted vegetables (carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli)
Green salad with vinaigrette dressing
Creamy mashed potatoes
How To Serve the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
Slice the lamb into thin pieces and arrange them on a serving platter. Garnish with fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme. Serve hot with your favorite sides.
FAQs About the Australian Leg of Lamb Recipe
What is the best cut of lamb for the Australian leg of lamb recipe?
The Australian leg of lamb recipe is traditionally made with a bone-in leg of lamb, which is a tender and flavorful cut. However, you can also use a boneless leg of lamb or lamb shoulder as a substitute.
How long should I marinate the Australian leg of lamb recipe?
For best results, marinate the lamb for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat and tenderize it.
Can I grill the lamb instead of roasting it?
Yes, you can grill the lamb instead of roasting it. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and grill the lamb for about 25-30 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare or 160°F (71°C) for medium.
Can I make this Australian leg of lamb recipe in advance?
Yes, you can marinate the lamb in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook it. However, it’s best to roast the lamb right before serving to ensure it’s hot and juicy.
How many servings does this Australian leg of lamb recipe make?
This recipe makes 8 servings, but you can adjust the ingredients to suit your needs. If you’re serving a smaller group, you can use a smaller leg of lamb and reduce the amount of marinade accordingly.
I’ve been able to try lots of dishes from all over the world. But I have to say that the Australian leg of lamb recipe is one of my absolute favorites. This recipe has a lot to love, from the rich, meaty taste to the cultural significance of the dish.
One thing I like about the Australian leg of lamb recipe is that it can be used in many different ways. This dish will be a hit whether you’re having a fancy dinner party or a casual backyard BBQ. It’s easy to make and can be changed to fit many different tastes and diets.
But the taste is what really sets this Australian leg of lamb recipe apart. When garlic, rosemary, thyme, and olive oil are mixed together, they make a marinade that gives the lamb a tasty, savory flavor. The meat is soft and juicy, and the smell is just too good to resist.
I also like that this Australian leg of lamb recipe is good for your health. Lamb is a good source of protein and nutrients like iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. It’s a great way to eat lamb and get all the health benefits it has to offer.
Overall, anyone who likes meat should try the Australian leg of lamb recipe. It’s a classic dish that has deep roots in Australian culture and food, and it’s easy to see why it’s so popular. So, whether you’re a professional chef or just starting out, try this Australian leg of lamb recipe to taste the delicious flavors of Australia.
Australian Leg of Lamb
- Large roasting pan
- Sharp knife
- small bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 leg of lamb, bone-in (about 4-5 pounds)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create a marinade.
- Place the leg of lamb in a large roasting pan, and use a sharp knife to make a few deep cuts into the meat.
- 3. Rub the marinade all over the lamb, making sure to get the mixture into the cuts.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil, and place it in the preheated oven.
- Roast the lamb for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare or 160°F (71°C) for medium.
- Remove the foil, and continue roasting for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lamb is nicely browned on the outside.
- Let the lamb rest for about 10 minutes before carving it into slices.
Tips and TricksMake sure to let the lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to settle. To get a crispy crust, remove the foil covering for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking. You can add vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and onions to the roasting pan for a complete meal.