Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:14 pm
I found this fantastic Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe on a trip I took recently. This dish has a warm, comforting feeling that brings people together at the table. When I first tried it, I knew I had to share it with you all.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Finnish Makaronilaatikko is a type of baked pasta casserole that is loved by many people. It is a simple, yet delicious meal that has been popular in Finland for many years. When I first tasted it, I was amazed by the rich flavors and how satisfying it was.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
As I learned more about this dish, I discovered that it is perfect for busy days when you want a tasty and filling meal without too much fuss. What’s even better is that it uses everyday ingredients you can easily find at your local store. This makes it a great option when you need to whip up something tasty in a hurry.
I also found out that Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe is very adaptable. You can easily adjust the recipe to suit your own tastes or to use up any ingredients you have on hand. This is one of the reasons I love this dish so much it’s just so versatile!
When I made this dish for my friends, they couldn’t believe how delicious it was. They asked me for the recipe right away, so they could make it for their families too. This made me feel so happy because I knew I had found a real winner.
In the recipe card below, you will find all the ingredients and cooking instructions you need to make this tasty Finnish Makaronilaatikko at home. Give it a try, and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it just like I did. Enjoy!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
1. Easy to Make: One reason I love the Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe is that it’s so easy to make. When I first tried it, I was surprised by how simple the steps were. There’s no need for fancy cooking techniques or special tools. All you need is a baking dish, a pot, and a few basic kitchen tools. This is a big plus for me, as I’m always looking for recipes that don’t require a lot of time or skill in the kitchen.
2. Affordable Ingredients: Another reason people love the Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe is that it uses affordable ingredients. The main ingredients are pasta, milk, eggs, and ground meat. These are all easy to find and usually not too expensive. I appreciate that I can make a tasty and filling meal without spending a lot of money on fancy ingredients. This is perfect for when I want to make something delicious without breaking the bank.
3. Tasty and Satisfying: Lastly, the Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe is just so tasty and satisfying. When I first tried this dish, I was amazed by the rich, savory flavors. The combination of pasta, meat, and a creamy sauce creates a mouth-watering meal that fills you up without being too heavy. I love how the flavors all come together in a perfect harmony, making each bite a delight. This is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this recipe and sharing it with others.
How To Make Our Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
5 cups dry macaroni pasta
1/4 cups butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Emmental cheese
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Cook the macaroni pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
4. Add the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes to create a roux.
5. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps forming.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to stir until it thickens.
7. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and Emmental cheese to the saucepan, stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
8. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
9. Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat the pasta evenly.
10. Pour the Makaronilaatikko mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
11. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly.
12. Serve hot.
Nutritional Information For the Finnish Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Saturated Fat: 18g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Large saucepan for cooking the macaroni pasta
9×13 inch baking dish for baking the Makaronilaatikko
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finnish Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave or bake in the oven until heated through.
Substitutions For the Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Use any type of pasta you like, such as penne or fusilli, instead of macaroni
Use a different type of cheese, such as Gouda or Parmesan, instead of Emmental cheese
Add cooked bacon or ham for a meaty twist
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in the recipe
Use a vegetarian alternative to the Emmental cheese, such as vegetarian cheddar cheese
Add sautéed mushrooms or chopped spinach for extra flavor
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use a non-stick saucepan to prevent the cheese from sticking
Pre-shred the cheese to save time
Make the cheese sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Green salad with vinaigrette dressing
Roasted vegetables, such as broccoli or carrots
Garlic bread or dinner rolls
How To Serve the Finnish Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Allow the Makaronilaatikko to cool for a few minutes before serving
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
Serve hot and enjoy!
FAQ About the Finland Makaronilaatikko Recipe
Is traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe typically made with Emmental cheese?
Yes, traditional Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe typically uses Emmental cheese along with cheddar cheese for a creamy and slightly nutty flavor.
Can I use a different type of pasta instead of macaroni for traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of pasta you like, such as penne or fusilli, instead of macaroni. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
How can I make traditional Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe healthier?
You can make traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe healthier by using whole wheat pasta, reducing the amount of cheese or using a lower-fat cheese, and adding more vegetables such as broccoli or spinach to the dish.
Can I make traditional Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Just be sure to cover it tightly with foil and add a few extra minutes to the baking time if needed.
Can I freeze traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe?
Yes, you can freeze traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe. Just be sure to cool it completely before wrapping it tightly with foil or plastic wrap and storing it in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake in the oven until heated through.
After making the traditional Finnish Makaronilaatikko recipe at home, I couldn’t be happier with the results. This dish has quickly become a favorite in my household, and I’m eager to share my experience with you.
When I first cooked this dish, I was thrilled with how well it turned out. The aroma coming from the oven filled my home, making everyone excited to dig in. As we sat down to eat, I could see the smiles on my family’s faces as they took their first bites. It was clear that they loved the dish as much as I did.
One of the best parts about making Finnish Makaronilaatikko is that it’s a great way to bring people together. The dish is perfect for family dinners, gatherings with friends, or just a cozy night in. Everyone can appreciate the simple, yet delicious flavors of this baked pasta casserole.
I’m so grateful that I discovered this recipe on my trip and had the chance to bring it home to share with my loved ones. It’s a reminder that sometimes the best recipes come from unexpected places. I encourage you to give this traditional Finland Makaronilaatikko recipe a try. I’m confident that you’ll enjoy it just as much as I do, and it might just become a new favorite in your home too.
Finnish Makaronilaatikko Recipe
- Large saucepan for cooking the macaroni pasta
- 9x13 inch baking dish for baking the Makaronilaatikko
- 5 cups macaroni pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Emmental cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps forming.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to stir until it thickens.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and Emmental cheese to the saucepan, stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat the pasta evenly.
- Pour the Makaronilaatikko mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Serve hot.