Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:13 pm
I just tried a Finnish Lohikeitto recipe, and it was amazing! I found this recipe during a trip, and I was so excited to try it at home. As a food blogger, I love to explore new dishes from around the world. This time, I was lucky enough to discover a dish from Finland that is not only delicious but also easy to make. In this post, I’ll share my experience of trying the traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe, and I hope you’ll enjoy making it too. When I first learned about Lohikeitto, I was intrigued by its name. It turns out, Lohikeitto is a Finnish word that means “salmon soup.” This soup is a warm and cozy dish perfect for chilly days. It has a creamy base and is filled with chunks of fresh salmon, potatoes, and other simple ingredients.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
As I prepared to make the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe, I was happy to find that most of the ingredients are easy to get. The main star of the dish is, of course, the salmon. I used a high-quality salmon fillet to ensure a rich and flavorful soup. The other ingredients, like potatoes and onions, are common in many kitchens. What I loved most about this recipe was its simplicity. The process of making Lohikeitto is quite easy and doesn’t take much time. It’s a great dish for anyone who wants to try something new without spending hours in the kitchen. Plus, the result is a hearty and delicious soup that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
As I cooked the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe, I was amazed by the wonderful aroma that filled my kitchen. The smell of fresh salmon, potatoes, and dill made me even more excited to taste the final result. When the soup was ready, I couldn’t wait to try my first spoonful. The taste was incredible! The creamy broth, tender salmon, and flavorful veggies all came together in a perfect harmony of flavors. I’m so happy I found this Finnish Lohikeitto recipe during my trip. It’s become one of my favorite dishes to make, and I can’t wait to share it with my friends and family. I hope you’ll give it a try too and enjoy this delicious taste of Finland.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
1. Tasty and Flavorful: One reason people love the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe is because it’s so tasty and flavorful. When I tried it, I was amazed by how the simple ingredients come together to create a delicious dish. The fresh salmon, potatoes, and dill all add unique flavors to the soup. The creamy broth makes it even more enjoyable. I think this amazing taste is a big reason why people love Lohikeitto.
2. Easy to Prepare: Another reason people love the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe is because it’s easy to prepare. I found that I didn’t need any special skills or tools to make this dish. It’s perfect for people who are new to cooking or who want a quick and simple meal. The steps are easy to follow, and the ingredients are easy to find. I believe this ease of preparation is a key reason why people love this recipe.
3. Healthy and Nutritious: The third reason people love the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe is because it’s healthy and nutritious. Salmon is known to be a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for our health. The potatoes and other vegetables in the soup also provide essential vitamins and minerals. I was happy to find a recipe that is not only delicious but also good for me. This combination of taste and health benefits is another reason people love Lohikeitto.
How To Make Our Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
1 leek, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups fish or vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and leek to the pot and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
3. Add diced potatoes, bay leaves, and broth to the pot.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
5. Add salmon to the pot and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through.
6. Remove bay leaves from the pot.
7. Add heavy cream, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
8. Heat soup over low heat for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
9. Stir in fresh dill.
10. Serve hot.
Nutritional Information For the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Saturated Fat: 12g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Large pot for soup
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Allow soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutions For the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Instead of salmon, use another type of firm, white fish such as cod or haddock.
Instead of heavy cream, use half-and-half or milk for a lighter version of the soup.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Omit salmon and use vegetable broth instead of fish broth.
Add diced carrots and celery for additional flavor and texture.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use a sharp knife to cut the salmon into bite-sized pieces.
Prep ingredients ahead of time to make the cooking process smoother.
Use a hand-held immersion blender to blend the soup for a smoother consistency.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Finnish rye bread
Salad with vinaigrette dressing
How To Serve the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh dill on top.
Serve with bread or salad on the side, if desired.
FAQ About the Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
What is traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe?
Traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe is a creamy salmon soup made with potatoes, leeks, onions, fish or vegetable broth, heavy cream, and fresh dill. It is a popular dish in Finland, especially during the colder months.
Can I use other types of fish for traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe?
Yes, you can use other types of firm, white fish such as cod or haddock instead of salmon in traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe. This can be a good option if you prefer a milder flavor or if salmon is not available.
How can I make traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe vegetarian?
To make traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe vegetarian, you can omit the salmon and use vegetable broth instead of fish broth. You can also add diced carrots and celery for additional flavor and texture.
Can I freeze traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe?
Yes, you can freeze traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe for up to 3 months. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. When ready to eat, thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight and heat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What are some common side dishes to serve with traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe?
Common side dishes to serve with traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe include crusty bread, Finnish rye bread, and a simple salad with vinaigrette dressing. The bread can be used to dip into the soup, and the salad can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and creamy soup.
I’m so glad I discovered the traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe on my trip. I’m always on the lookout for new and exciting recipes to try, and this one did not disappoint. After cooking it at home, I can’t help but think about how much joy this dish has brought to my kitchen and my taste buds. As I enjoyed the delicious soup, I couldn’t help but appreciate the simplicity and beauty of the recipe. The combination of fresh ingredients and easy preparation makes it a perfect meal for any day of the week. I’m sure that this recipe will become a favorite in my household, and I’m excited to share it with my readers.
I believe that the traditional Finnish Lohikeitto recipe is a testament to the power of simple, quality ingredients. The fresh salmon, potatoes, and dill, along with the creamy broth, create a dish that is both comforting and full of flavor. It’s no wonder that this recipe has stood the test of time.
In conclusion, my experience with the Finnish Lohikeitto recipe has been nothing short of delightful. It’s a dish that I will definitely make again and again. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend giving it a go. I’m confident that you’ll fall in love with this tasty, easy-to-make, and nutritious dish just as I have.
Finnish Lohikeitto Recipe
- Large pot for soup
- Cutting board
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups fish or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and leek to the pot and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add diced potatoes, bay leaves, and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add salmon to the pot and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through.
- Remove bay leaves from the pot.
- Add heavy cream, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Heat soup over low heat for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in fresh dill.
- Serve hot.