Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Hi everyone! Today, I am excited to share the Finnish Fried Vendace recipe that I discovered on a recent trip. When I came across this traditional Finnish dish, I knew I had to share it with all of you. On my trip, I had the chance to taste this amazing dish at a local market. The vendor was very friendly and gladly shared the recipe with me. I could not wait to get back home and try making it myself. I must say, I was not disappointed! The Finnish Fried Vendace was crispy and full of flavor.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
This dish is made with vendace, a small freshwater fish that is popular in Finland. The fish are coated with a light, crispy batter and then fried to golden perfection. It is a simple yet delightful dish that showcases the natural flavors of the fish. One of the things I love about this recipe is that it is easy to make. You do not need any fancy equipment or ingredients, just a few basic items that you probably already have in your kitchen. Plus, it is a great way to enjoy a taste of Finland without leaving the comfort of your home.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
Before you start, make sure to check the Recipe Card below for the exact ingredients and cooking instructions. This will ensure that you have everything you need to create this tasty dish.
I hope you enjoy making and tasting the Finland Fried Vendace recipe as much as I did. It is truly a delicious and unique dish that brings a taste of Finland to your table. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
1. Delicious Flavor: One of the main reasons people love the Finnish Fried Vendace recipe is because of its delicious flavor. When I first tried this dish, I was amazed by how tasty it was. The fish has a mild, slightly sweet taste that pairs perfectly with the light, crispy batter. The simple seasoning allows the natural flavors of the vendace to shine through. Every bite is a delightful explosion of taste that keeps you coming back for more.
2. Easy to Prepare: Another reason people love this recipe is how easy it is to prepare. I found that I could quickly whip up this dish with just a few basic ingredients and tools. The batter is simple to mix, and frying the fish doesn’t take much time at all. This recipe is perfect for both experienced cooks and beginners who want to try something new in the kitchen.
3. Unique and Exciting: Finally, the Finland Fried Vendace recipe is loved because it is unique and exciting. As a food blogger, I’m always on the hunt for dishes that stand out from the crowd, and this recipe certainly does that. It’s not every day that you come across a recipe with such a distinct taste and texture. The combination of the mild, tender fish and the crispy, golden batter is truly a winning combination. Trying this recipe brings a sense of adventure to your dining experience, making it a memorable meal for you and your loved ones.
How To Make Our Finnish Fried Vendace Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
2 lbs. fresh vendace (or any small fish)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
Vegetable oil for frying
Lemon wedges for serving
1. Clean and gut the fish, removing the head and tail. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
3. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
4. In a large frying pan, heat enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan over medium-high heat.
5. Working in batches, fry the fish for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
7. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Nutritional Information For the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
Saturated Fat: 1g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Fried Vendace Recipe
Large bowl for dredging fish
Large frying pan for frying fish
Slotted spoon for transferring fish
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
Leftover fried vendace can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the fish on a baking sheet and warm in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Substitutions For the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
If fresh vendace is not available, you can use any small fish such as smelt or sardines. You can also substitute cornmeal for the flour in the dredging mixture for a different texture.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Fried Vendace Recipe
As this recipe is traditionally made with fish, it is not suitable for vegetarians. However, you can make a vegetarian version by using a similar dredging mixture and frying vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant instead.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Make sure the fish is completely dry before dredging to prevent the coating from falling off during frying.
Fry the fish in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and ensure even cooking.
Keep the heat consistent throughout the frying process to achieve a crispy exterior and fully cooked interior.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
Boiled or mashed potatoes
Mixed green salad
Roasted root vegetables
How To Serve the Finnish Fried Vendace Recipe
Serve the fried vendace hot with lemon wedges on the side. To make it a traditional Finnish meal, serve with boiled or mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam.
FAQ About the Finland Fried Vendace Recipe
Can I use frozen vendace for this traditional Finnish Fried Vendace recipe?
While fresh fish is preferred, you can use frozen vendace that has been thawed and pat dry with paper towels.
Can I use a different type of flour for dredging?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour or cornmeal for dredging if you have dietary restrictions.
Can I reuse the oil for frying?
It is not recommended to reuse the oil for frying as it can break down and become rancid, affecting the flavor of the fish.
Can I add other spices to the dredging mixture?
Yes, you can experiment with adding other spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, or cayenne pepper to the dredging mixture to suit your taste.
How can I make the traditional Finland Fried Vendace recipe healthier?
To make this recipe healthier, you can use a healthier oil such as avocado or grapeseed oil for frying and reduce the amount of salt in the dredging mixture. You can also serve the fish with a side of roasted vegetables or a mixed green salad.
I tried this amazing traditional Finnish Fried Vendace recipe during my visit to Finland, and I just couldn’t wait to make it at home. Once I got back, I decided to cook it for my family and friends. The fish used in this dish, called vendace, is small and tasty. It’s popular in Finland, and I think you’ll love it too.
When I cooked the recipe at home, I was amazed at how easy it was to make. The simple steps brought back memories of my time in Finland. The best part was how quickly I could prepare this delicious meal. My family and friends were excited to try something new and enjoyed every bite.
The crispy outside of the fish, combined with the tender inside, was a perfect match. The flavors were truly amazing, and it reminded me of the good times I had during my trip. It’s not just a tasty meal but also a way to share a part of Finland’s culture with my loved ones.
In conclusion, the traditional Finland Fried Vendace recipe is a must-try for everyone who loves fish and wants to experience a piece of Finnish cuisine. It’s easy to make and has a unique flavor that will leave you craving more. I’m so glad I found this recipe during my travels, and I know you’ll enjoy it just as much as I did.
Finnish Fried Vendace Recipe
- Large bowl for dredging fish
- Large frying pan for frying fish
- Slotted spoon for transferring fish
- 2 lbs fresh vendace or any small fish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Clean and gut the fish, removing the head and tail. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- In a large frying pan, heat enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, fry the fish for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.