Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:12 pm
One day, I found a Finland Karelian Stew recipe that made me very excited. I love to cook and try new dishes from all around the world. I always search for unique and delicious recipes that can bring a new taste to my kitchen. This time, my taste buds were craving something from the beautiful country of Finland. On my recent trip to that amazing country, I discovered this traditional stew, and I just knew I had to try it at home.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
When I first heard about the Finnish Karelian Stew recipe, I was curious about what makes it so special. The people I met on my trip said that this stew is very popular in Finland, and many families enjoy it, especially during cold winter days. The mix of flavors and the warmth of the stew make it a favorite for many people. As someone who loves cooking, I couldn’t wait to try making this stew in my own kitchen. I got all the ingredients and followed the recipe card I received during my trip. As I started cooking, I noticed that the wonderful aroma of the stew filled my home, making me even more excited to taste it.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
After hours of simmering, the Finnish Karelian Stew was finally ready to be served. I took a spoonful and tasted it. I was amazed at how delicious it was. The flavors blended so well together, and the texture was perfect. It was like a warm hug on a cold day. This traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe has now become one of my favorite dishes to cook for my friends and family. Every time I make it, I remember my trip to Finland and the lovely people I met there. It brings back so many memories and reminds me of the joy of discovering new flavors from different parts of the world.
I am so glad I took that trip and found this recipe. It has not only brought a new taste to my kitchen but also taught me a lot about cooking and how to create unique and delicious dishes. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to visit Finland, and I can’t wait to go back one day and learn even more about their cuisine. I hope you’ll also enjoy this Finnish Karelian Stew recipe as much as I do. It is a perfect dish to serve on a cold winter day or whenever you want to enjoy a warm and comforting meal. The blend of flavors and the love that goes into making this stew will surely make it a favorite in your home too.
So, the next time you want to try something new and delicious, think about making this traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe. I am sure it will bring a unique taste to your table and make your loved ones ask for more. And who knows, maybe it will inspire you to take a trip to Finland and discover more wonderful recipes to bring back home.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
1. Delicious Taste: The first reason people love the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe is its delicious taste. When I first tried this stew, I was amazed by the mix of flavors. The ingredients work so well together, creating a perfect balance of savory, sweet, and slightly tangy notes. It’s not too heavy, but still filling, making it a perfect meal for any time of the day. Every time I cook this stew, I can’t help but be excited to taste it again.
2. Easy to Make: Another reason people love this Finland Karelian Stew recipe is that it’s easy to make. I was surprised by how simple the recipe is. I didn’t need any special skills or fancy tools to cook it. Just basic kitchen tools and some time to let the stew simmer. This makes it a great dish for beginner cooks or anyone who wants to try something new without too much effort. I love how I can make this tasty dish without spending too much time in the kitchen.
3. Adaptable to Personal Taste: The third reason people love the Finnish Karelian Stew recipe is that it’s adaptable to personal taste. While the recipe has a basic set of ingredients, it’s easy to adjust the flavors to your liking. I’ve tried adding different spices or using different meats, and the stew still comes out delicious every time. This flexibility makes it a great dish to experiment with and to make your own. I always enjoy finding new ways to make this stew even more delicious, and I’m sure you will too.
How To Make Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups water
2 cups beef broth
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup sour cream
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and parsnip. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the flour and paprika, stir well to coat the meat and vegetables.
5. Add the water, beef broth, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf to the pot. Stir well to combine.
6. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 2-6 hours, or until the beef is tender.
7. Add the chopped potatoes to the pot and cook until tender, about 30-40 minutes.
8. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the sour cream. Adjust the seasoning as necessary.
9. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Nutritional Information For the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Saturated Fat: 8g
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Cooking Time: Approximately 3 to 6 hours
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Large pot or Dutch oven
Measuring cups and spoons
Wooden spoon or spatula
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finland Karelian Stew Recipe
The leftover stew can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It is best to allow the stew to cool completely before storing. To reheat, simply transfer the desired amount of stew to a pot and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Substitutions For the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Pork or lamb stew meat can be used instead of beef.
Rutabaga or turnip can be used instead of parsnip.
Heavy cream or plain yogurt can be used instead of sour cream.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finland Karelian Stew Recipe
Replace the beef stew meat with a vegetarian protein source such as seitan, tofu, or tempeh.
Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
Omit the sour cream or use a non-dairy alternative.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Brown the meat in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot and to ensure that it browns evenly.
Use a sharp knife to chop the vegetables into uniform pieces.
If you have a slow cooker, you can cook the stew on low for 6-8 hours instead of simmering on the stove.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Crusty bread or rolls
Cooked grains such as rice, barley, or quinoa
Roasted vegetables such as Brussels sprouts or carrots
How To Serve the Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
Ladle the hot stew into bowls.
Serve with crusty bread or other desired side dishes.
FAQ About the Finland Karelian Stew Recipe
What is the origin of the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe?
The Karelian stew is a traditional Finnish dish that originated in the Karelia region, which is located on the border of Finland and Russia. It is a hearty and warming stew that has been enjoyed by generations of Finnish families.
Can I make the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe in advance?
Yes, you can make the Karelian stew in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply transfer the desired amount of stew to a pot and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Can I freeze the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the Karelian stew for up to 3 months. It is best to freeze the stew in an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat, thaw the stew in the refrigerator overnight, then transfer to a pot and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Can I use a slow cooker to make the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe?
Yes, you can use a slow cooker to make the Karelian stew. Simply brown the meat and vegetables as directed, then transfer to a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Can I make a vegetarian version of the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of the Karelian stew by using a vegetarian protein source such as seitan, tofu, or tempeh. Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth, and omit the sour cream or use a non-dairy alternative.
I recently tried the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe, and I can’t stop thinking about it. As a food blogger, I’m always on the lookout for amazing dishes to share with my readers. After visiting Finland and learning about this stew, I knew I had to make it at home and share my experience with you all. The process of making this stew was an enjoyable adventure. I loved how the rich flavors developed as the dish simmered on the stove. The aroma filled my kitchen, making me even more eager to taste the final result. When it was ready, I took my first bite and was blown away by the depth of flavors and the heartiness of the dish.
After making and enjoying this stew, I can truly understand why it’s such a beloved dish in Finland. It’s not just a meal; it’s a warm, comforting experience that brings people together. I feel so grateful to have discovered this recipe and to be able to share it with all of you. In conclusion, the traditional Finnish Karelian Stew recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves hearty and flavorful dishes. It’s simple to make, yet the result is incredibly satisfying. I encourage you to give this recipe a try, and I’m confident it will become a favorite in your kitchen, just like it has in mine. Happy cooking!
Finnish Karelian Stew Recipe
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 3 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and parsnip. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the flour and paprika, stir well to coat the meat and vegetables.
- Add the water, beef broth, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 2-6 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Add the chopped potatoes to the pot and cook until tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the sour cream. Adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.