Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:14 pm
I recently discovered the Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe on a trip I took, and I just had to share it with you! As a food blogger, I love trying new and tasty dishes, and this one really caught my attention. Siskonmakkarakeitto is a traditional Finnish soup that has been enjoyed by families for generations. This hearty and delicious dish is perfect for a cozy meal on a chilly day.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
When I first heard about this recipe, I was excited to give it a try. I was told that it’s a simple dish that’s both filling and flavorful. The soup is made with special Finnish sausages, called Siskonmakkara, which have a unique taste that sets this soup apart from others. Mixed with fresh vegetables and a rich broth, this soup creates a perfect harmony of flavors.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
As I tried this recipe, I found that it was easy to make and didn’t take a lot of time. The ingredients were easy to find, and the cooking process was quite simple. In no time, I had a steaming pot of Siskonmakkarakeitto ready to be enjoyed. The smell alone was enough to make my mouth water, and I couldn’t wait to dig in.
Once I tasted the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe, I knew I had found something special. The mix of flavors was amazing, and the sausage added a unique touch that made the dish stand out. It was a warm, comforting meal that I couldn’t get enough of. I knew I had to share this incredible recipe with all of my readers.
So, if you’re looking for a new and exciting dish to try, I highly recommend giving this Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe a go. You won’t be disappointed! The soup is perfect for any time of year and can be enjoyed by the whole family. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll want to make it again and again.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
1. Flavorful and Unique Taste: The first reason I love the traditional Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe is because of its amazing flavors. The soup has a unique taste that you won’t find in other dishes. The Finnish sausages, called Siskonmakkara, give the soup a special flavor that is both new and exciting. The fresh vegetables and rich broth blend together to create a perfect harmony of taste. I couldn’t help but keep coming back for more!
2. Easy to Prepare: Another reason I adore this Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe is how easy it is to make. Even though it’s a new dish for me, I found the cooking process to be quite simple. The ingredients were easy to find, and I didn’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The soup came together quickly, and I was able to enjoy a delicious meal without any hassle. This made the recipe a joy to cook!
3. Hearty and Filling Meal: Lastly, I love the Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe because it’s a hearty and filling meal. The combination of sausages, vegetables, and broth make for a satisfying dish that leaves you feeling full and happy. It’s perfect for those days when you need a warm, comforting meal that will fill your belly and keep you going. This soup quickly became one of my favorites because it’s both tasty and filling.
How To Make Our Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
8 Siskonmakkara sausages (about 1 lb)
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
2 medium-sized carrots, diced
2 medium-sized potatoes, diced
1/2 celeriac, diced
1 leek, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp allspice
8 cups water
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, brown the sausages over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot, sauté onions, carrots, potatoes, celeriac, and leek for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
3. Add bay leaf, allspice, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the beef bouillon cube and let it dissolve.
4. Add the sausages back to the pot and let everything simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
5. Remove the sausages from the pot and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
6. Use a blender or immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
7. Add the sliced sausages back to the soup along with the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Let the soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
Nutritional Information For the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Saturated Fat: 14g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Large soup pot
Wooden spoon or spatula
Measuring cups and spoons
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
The traditional Siskonmakkarakeitto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Alternatively, it can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Substitutions For the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Potatoes: sweet potatoes or turnips
Carrots: parsnips or rutabaga
Leek: onion or shallot
Pork sausage: turkey sausage, chicken sausage, or vegetarian sausage
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Pork sausage: vegetarian sausage or omit altogether and add more vegetables
Beef broth: vegetable broth
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use a sharp knife to easily cut through the tough skin of the sausage.
Peel and chop the vegetables ahead of time to save time on cooking day.
If using fresh herbs, tie them together with kitchen twine for easy removal.
Add the vegetables in order of cooking time, starting with the longest cooking time vegetables first.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Crusty bread or rolls
Finnish rye bread
Green salad with vinaigrette dressing
How To Serve the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
Ladle the soup into serving bowls.
Serve hot with desired toppings such as chopped fresh herbs, sour cream, or croutons.
Serve with a side of bread or rolls if desired.
FAQ About the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
What are the main ingredients of traditional Siskonmakkarakeitto?
The main ingredients of traditional Siskonmakkarakeitto are Finnish sausages, potatoes, carrots, onions, and water. Some variations may also include milk or cream, flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup, and various herbs and spices for added flavor.
What type of sausage is typically used in Siskonmakkarakeitto?
The sausage most commonly used in Siskonmakkarakeitto is called “Makkara,” which is a traditional Finnish sausage made with a combination of beef, pork, and spices. If Makkara is not available, other types of sausage, such as smoked sausage or kielbasa, can be used as a substitute.
How is traditional Siskonmakkarakeitto prepared?
To make traditional Siskonmakkarakeitto, first, the sausages are cooked in water until they are fully cooked. The sausages are then removed from the water and sliced. Next, the vegetables are added to the water and cooked until tender. The sliced sausages are then added back into the pot, and the soup is seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
Can Siskonmakkarakeitto be made ahead of time?
Yes, Siskonmakkarakeitto can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving. It is best stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Is Siskonmakkarakeitto a common dish in Finland?
Yes, Siskonmakkarakeitto is a traditional dish in Finland, especially during the winter months. It is often served with rye bread or other hearty bread and is a popular comfort food among the Finnish people.
I am so happy I found the traditional Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe during my trip! Cooking it at home was a delightful experience that I wanted to share with all my readers. This soup has become one of my favorite dishes, and I can’t wait for you to try it too.
Not only is the Finland Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe easy to make, but it’s also a wonderful way to enjoy new flavors. The unique taste of the Finnish sausages combined with the fresh vegetables and rich broth creates a mouthwatering dish that is hard to resist. I was truly impressed by how well all the flavors came together.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it makes a satisfying meal that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It’s perfect for those days when you want something warm and comforting, yet easy to prepare. This soup is a true winner in my book.
In conclusion, the traditional Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves trying new dishes. It’s simple to make, full of amazing flavors, and provides a hearty and filling meal. I am so glad I discovered this wonderful soup, and I can’t wait to hear what you think when you try it for yourself. Give it a shot and let me know how you like it!
Finnish Siskonmakkarakeitto Recipe
- Large soup pot
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Serving bowls
- 8 Siskonmakkara sausages about 1 lb
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots diced
- 2 medium-sized potatoes diced
- 1/2 celeriac diced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp allspice
- 8 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, brown the sausages over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté onions, carrots, potatoes, celeriac, and leek for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add bay leaf, allspice, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the beef bouillon cube and let it dissolve.
- Add the sausages back to the pot and let everything simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the sausages from the pot and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Add the sliced sausages back to the soup along with the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.