Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:13 pm
I discovered the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe on a recent trip, and I’m so excited to share it with you! This yummy dish has a unique taste and is very easy to make. I found this recipe when I visited a small town in Finland, and I knew I had to try making it when I got home. Let me tell you all about it. Kaalikaaryleet is a traditional Finnish dish that is made from cabbage rolls filled with tasty ingredients. These rolls are very popular in Finland, and they are perfect for a cozy meal with family and friends. The warm and hearty flavors make this dish a hit during the colder months, but you can also enjoy it any time of the year.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
When I first tried Kaalikaaryleet, I couldn’t believe how delicious it was. The cabbage was cooked just right, and the filling was bursting with flavor. I asked the cook at the restaurant where I had it for the recipe, and they were more than happy to share it with me. They even gave me some tips on how to make it just like they do in Finland! After I got home, I couldn’t wait to try making Kaalikaaryleet myself. I gathered all the ingredients and followed the recipe card that the cook had given me. I found the process to be quite easy, even for someone like me who doesn’t cook often. When I served the dish to my family, they all agreed that it tasted just like the one I had in Finland.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
The Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe is not only delicious but also very versatile. You can use different types of fillings to make it your own, and even try adding some of your favorite spices. The possibilities are endless, and I’m sure you’ll love experimenting with this dish just as much as I do. Since I started making Kaalikaaryleet, it has become a favorite in my household. We often enjoy it on special occasions, but it’s also a great dish for everyday meals. I’ve even shared the recipe with my friends, and they all agree that it’s a real treat.
In conclusion, I am so glad that I discovered the Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe on my trip. It’s a simple yet satisfying dish that has become a staple in my home. If you’re looking for a new and exciting meal to try, I highly recommend giving Kaalikaaryleet a go. It’s easy to make, and the delicious flavors will have everyone asking for seconds.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
1. Delicious Flavors: One of the reasons I love the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe is because of the delicious flavors. The cabbage rolls are filled with yummy ingredients that blend together so well. When I first tasted it, I was amazed at how tasty it was. Each bite has a perfect mix of flavors that make it hard to resist. I am always excited to cook this dish because I know it will be a hit with my family.
2. Easy to Make: Another reason I enjoy the Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe is because it is easy to make. I found this recipe simple to follow. The steps are clear, and I didn’t have any trouble putting it together. This makes it a perfect dish for me to prepare, even on busy days when I don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
3. Nutritious Ingredients: Lastly, I appreciate the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe because it uses nutritious ingredients. Cabbage is a healthy vegetable that is low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals. The filling also contains good-for-you ingredients like meat and rice. I feel good about serving this dish to my family because I know it is both tasty and healthy.
How To Make Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. Remove and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, salt, black pepper, allspice, and egg. Mix well.
4. Place a spoonful of the beef mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up tightly, tucking in the sides to form a neat package.
5. Arrange the cabbage rolls in a large baking dish.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and water until well combined.
7. Pour the mixture over the cabbage rolls, making sure they are fully covered.
8. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the cabbage rolls are fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Saturated Fat: 4g
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Large pot for boiling water
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
The best way to store leftovers is to transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Alternatively, the cabbage rolls can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through.
Substitutions For the Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Ground pork or turkey can be used instead of ground beef.
Quinoa or couscous can be used instead of rice.
Chicken or vegetable broth can be used instead of beef broth.
Maple syrup or honey can be used instead of brown sugar.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Replace the ground beef with a meat substitute, such as crumbled tofu, tempeh, or TVP (textured vegetable protein).
Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
Omit the egg or use a vegan egg substitute.
Add chopped vegetables, such as carrots, celery, and mushrooms, to the filling for extra flavor.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use a serrated knife to remove the tough stem from the cabbage leaves.
Place the cabbage leaves in the boiling water for just a few minutes, as overcooking can cause them to tear.
Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to portion out the beef mixture onto the cabbage leaves.
To prevent the cabbage rolls from unraveling during baking, use toothpicks or tie them with kitchen twine.
Make extra sauce and pour it over the cabbage rolls before serving for extra flavor.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Roasted vegetables, such as carrots, Brussels sprouts, or sweet potatoes
Steamed green beans or broccoli
Finnish rye bread
Lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce
How To Serve the Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
Serve the cabbage rolls hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or dill, if desired. Accompany with a side dish of mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or Finnish rye bread, and lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce on the side.
FAQ About the Finland Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
What is the origin of the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe?
The traditional Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe is a Finnish dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. The dish consists of cabbage leaves stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, rice, and spices, and then baked in a flavorful tomato sauce.
Can the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe be made in advance?
Yes, the cabbage rolls can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake. To refrigerate, simply store the unbaked cabbage rolls in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. To freeze, wrap the unbaked cabbage rolls tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
What is the nutritional value of the traditional Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe?
The nutritional value of the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe will vary depending on the specific ingredients and cooking methods used. However, on average, one serving (1/8th of the recipe) contains approximately 274 calories, 23g of carbohydrates, 17g of protein, 12g of fat, and 3g of fiber.
Can the traditional Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe be made vegetarian?
Yes, the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe can be made vegetarian by replacing the ground beef with a meat substitute, such as crumbled tofu or TVP (textured vegetable protein), and using vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Additionally, the egg can be omitted or replaced with a vegan egg substitute.
What are some tips for making the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe easier?
Some tips for making the traditional Finland Kaalikaaryleet recipe easier include using a serrated knife to remove the tough stem from the cabbage leaves, portioning out the beef mixture with a cookie scoop or tablespoon, and tying the cabbage rolls with kitchen twine or using toothpicks to prevent them from unraveling during baking. Additionally, making extra sauce to pour over the cabbage rolls before serving can add extra flavor.
I can’t help but rave about the traditional Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe I found on my trip. As a food blogger, I am always eager to try new dishes and share my experiences with my readers. When I returned home and cooked this amazing recipe, I knew I had to share it with all of you. The Finnish Kaalikaaryleet is a dish that truly stands out in terms of flavor and texture. The cabbage rolls are tender, and the filling is hearty and satisfying. My whole family loved it, and it quickly became a favorite in our home.
What I also love about this recipe is that it allows for creativity. You can experiment with different fillings and spices to make it your own. I believe this is a big part of the joy of cooking: trying new things and making each dish unique. I feel grateful for discovering this delightful Finnish Kaalikaaryleet recipe on my trip. It’s a dish that has added variety and excitement to our family meals. If you are a fellow food lover searching for something new to try, I encourage you to give this wonderful recipe a go. I am confident that you will enjoy it just as much as I do, and it might even become a staple in your home, too. Happy cooking!
Finnish Kaalikaaryleet Recipe
- Large pot for boiling water
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 egg
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. Remove and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, salt, black pepper, allspice, and egg. Mix well.
- Place a spoonful of the beef mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up tightly, tucking in the sides to form a neat package.
- Arrange the cabbage rolls in a large baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and water until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the cabbage rolls, making sure they are fully covered.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the cabbage rolls are fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.