Last updated on October 12th, 2023 at 12:44 am
I recently tried an New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe, and I want to share some factual information about this tasty treat. You can find the complete list of ingredients and cooking instructions in the recipe card below. Afghan Biscuits are a type of cookie that originates from New Zealand. They have a unique texture due to the combination of flour, butter, sugar, and cornflakes, which makes them crunchy yet tender. These biscuits also contain cocoa powder, giving them a rich chocolate flavor. The biscuits are often topped with chocolate icing and a half walnut, adding an extra layer of taste and texture.
Want more ideas to round-out your Haitian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
One of the benefits of making Afghan Biscuits is that they have a longer shelf life than many other cookies. This is because the biscuits are relatively low in moisture, allowing them to stay fresh and crisp for a longer period. This makes them an ideal choice if you want to prepare a treat ahead of time or if you’re looking for a dessert that can withstand some travel. In terms of nutrition, Afghan Biscuits contain moderate amounts of sugar and fat, which provide energy. The walnuts on top offer a source of healthy fats and some vitamins and minerals. However, it’s essential to enjoy these biscuits in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
The New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe can also be easily customized to meet different tastes and dietary needs. You can experiment with different types of nuts or chocolate chips to make them more suited to your preferences. In summary, Afghan Biscuits are a delicious, chocolatey treat with a unique texture and a longer shelf life than many other cookies. The recipe is straightforward and can be customized to meet individual tastes and dietary requirements. Give the recipe card below a try and enjoy these delightful biscuits.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
1. Easy Preparation: The New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe is a favorite because it is easy to prepare. I tried this recipe and found that it required minimal effort and no special skills. The instructions were straightforward, which made it a joy to make these biscuits. Even if you are new to baking, you can follow this recipe and create a delicious treat with ease. The process of making the biscuits is also relatively quick, so you won’t need to spend all day in the kitchen to enjoy them.
2. Unique Texture and Flavor: Another reason people love the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe is the unique texture and flavor. When I made these biscuits, I noticed that the combination of ingredients, like cornflakes and cocoa powder, created a delightful crunchiness and a rich chocolate taste. The biscuits are tender on the inside but have a crispy exterior, making them a one-of-a-kind treat. The chocolate icing and walnut topping add extra layers of flavor and texture, making these biscuits truly special.
3. Budget-Friendly Ingredients: The New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe is also popular because it uses budget-friendly ingredients. When I tried this recipe, I realized that most of the items needed were already in my pantry. This means you don’t have to spend a lot of money to make a tasty snack. The simple ingredients are easy to find and affordable, making this recipe accessible to anyone who wants to try it. Additionally, the fact that the recipe doesn’t require any fancy equipment or tools adds to its appeal, making it a great choice for people on a budget.
How To Make Our New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe?
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a separate bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add the vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until well combined.
6. Add the shredded coconut to the mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and roll it into balls before placing them on the lined baking sheet.
9. Flatten the balls slightly with a fork.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges start to firm up and the biscuits are cooked through.
11. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the biscuits cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
12. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Nutritional Information For the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
Saturated Fat: 10g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
Electric mixer (optional)
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
The Afghan biscuits can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. For longer storage, they can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Substitutions For the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
Instead of all-purpose flour, you can use whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour.
You can use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar for a richer flavor.
If you don’t have unsweetened cocoa powder, you can use hot chocolate mix as a substitute, but adjust the sugar amount accordingly.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
The Afghan biscuits recipe is already vegetarian.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Soften the butter before mixing to make it easier to cream with the sugar.
Make sure to sift the flour and cocoa powder to avoid lumps in the mixture.
If the mixture is too dry, you can add a little bit of milk or water to help bind it together.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
Tea or coffee
Fresh fruit salad
Whipped cream or ice cream
How To Serve the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
Serve the Afghan biscuits as a sweet treat or dessert with a hot beverage like tea or coffee. They can be served on their own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream for added indulgence. They also pair well with fresh fruit salad for a balanced and refreshing dessert option.
FAQ About the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
What are Afghan biscuits, and what is the origin of the Afghan Biscuits recipe?
Afghan biscuits are a sweet, chocolatey biscuit that is a popular treat in New Zealand. The origin of the recipe is not entirely clear, but it is believed to have been created by a New Zealand housewife in the 1950s.
Can I make substitutions in the Afghan Biscuits recipe to make it healthier?
Yes, you can make substitutions such as using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour or reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe. However, keep in mind that the original recipe is meant to be a treat and altering it too much may affect the taste and texture.
Can I freeze Afghan biscuits, and how long do they last?
Yes, Afghan biscuits can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. They can also be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I make a vegetarian version of the Afghan Biscuits recipe?
Yes, the Afghan biscuits recipe is already vegetarian as it does not contain any meat or animal products.
Can I make a larger batch of the Afghan Biscuits recipe?
Yes, you can double or triple the recipe to make a larger batch. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and use a larger baking sheet if needed.
After trying the New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe, I can confidently say that these biscuits are a delightful treat worth making at home. The experience of baking and enjoying these biscuits was both enjoyable and satisfying. The straightforward recipe made it easy to create the biscuits, which is perfect for people who are new to baking or just want a simple yet delicious treat. The unique combination of ingredients resulted in a biscuit with an incredible texture and flavor. The crunchy cornflakes, rich cocoa powder, and tender inside made each bite a delightful experience. The chocolate icing and walnut topping took the biscuits to another level of tastiness.
One of the things I appreciated about this recipe is that it uses affordable and easily accessible ingredients. This made it an economical choice for a homemade treat, and it didn’t require any special tools or equipment. The New Zealand Afghan Biscuits recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and unique treat that is easy to make and budget-friendly. The combination of textures and flavors, along with the simple recipe, make these biscuits a great addition to any baker’s repertoire. Don’t forget to check out the recipe card below to give these amazing biscuits a try.
New Zealand Afghan Biscuits Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a separate bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Add the shredded coconut to the mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and roll it into balls before placing them on the lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges start to firm up and the biscuits are cooked through.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the biscuits cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and let them cool completely.