Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:16 pm
I recently discovered the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe, and I couldn’t wait to try it out. On my trip to Finland, I found this amazing dish and knew I had to share it with you all. The tasty combination of ingredients and flavors makes this pie truly special.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
When I first saw the pie, I was curious about its unique appearance. The lovely golden crust and delicious filling caught my eye, and I knew I was in for a treat. After tasting it, I was amazed by the rich flavors and the perfect balance between the pie and egg butter.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
Trying out new recipes is always exciting, and this one was no exception. I loved the process of making this traditional Finnish pie, as it was both fun and satisfying. The baking techniques used in this recipe are a bit different than what I was used to, but I found it interesting to learn and adapt to the new methods.
The egg butter that accompanies the pie adds a delightful touch. The creamy, rich taste perfectly complements the pie’s texture and flavors. It’s a match made in heaven, and it left me craving more.
As I enjoyed the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter, I couldn’t help but appreciate the culinary journey I was on. It’s always a pleasure to discover new dishes and bring them into my kitchen for you all to enjoy. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe for yourself and experience the delightful taste of this traditional Finnish pie.
I hope this Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe brings joy to your taste buds as it did to mine. It’s a fantastic dish to share with friends and family, and I’m sure it will become a favorite in your home. Happy baking and enjoy your delicious pie!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
1. Flavorful Combination: The first reason I love the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe is the flavorful combination of ingredients. When I tried this recipe, I was amazed by how the unique mix of flavors worked together so well. The pie filling has a delicious taste, and the egg butter adds a creamy richness that elevates the dish to a whole new level. It’s truly a mouthwatering experience that keeps me coming back for more.
2. Fun to Make: Another reason I enjoy this recipe is that it’s fun to make. As a food enthusiast, I’m always looking for new and interesting ways to prepare dishes. The baking techniques used in the Finnish Kraelian Pie recipe are different from what I’ve done before, and I found it exciting to learn and adapt to these methods. It’s a great way to expand my cooking skills and try something new in the kitchen.
3. Beautiful Presentation: The third reason I love the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe is its beautiful presentation. The golden crust and appetizing filling make this pie an eye-catching dish that’s perfect for special occasions or just a lovely treat for yourself. When I made this pie, I felt proud of the result and couldn’t wait to show it off to my friends and family. It’s a dish that’s as visually appealing as it is delicious, and that’s a big part of why I love making it.
How To Make Our Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
For the crust
2 cups rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
3 tbsp butter, melted
For the filling
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine rye flour, all-purpose flour, and salt for the crust.
2. Gradually add hot water and melted butter to the flour mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Mix until a smooth dough is formed. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, milk, melted butter, salt, chopped eggs, and parsley for the filling.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a thin circle on a floured surface.
7. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling on each circle, leaving the edges free.
8. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center, creating a ruffled border around the filling.
9. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Let the pies cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
Saturated Fat: 6g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
Large mixing bowl
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
The best way to store leftovers is to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The Kraelian Pie can be stored for up to 3 days.
Substitutions For the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
For the rye flour, you can use whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
For the all-purpose flour, you can use whole wheat flour or bread flour.
Instead of rice, you can use mashed potatoes or a combination of potatoes and turnips.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
Simply omit the hard-boiled eggs from the filling.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
When rolling out the dough, it can be helpful to use a pastry cloth or silicone mat to prevent sticking.
To save time, you can use leftover rice or cook the rice in advance.
If you have a food processor, you can use it to mix the dough.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
Pickled vegetables, such as cucumbers or beets
Smoked salmon or herring
Garden salad with a light vinaigrette dressing
How To Serve the Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
The Kraelian Pie can be served warm or at room temperature.
Cut the pie into wedges and serve as a main dish or appetizer.
For a traditional Finnish meal, serve the pie with pickled vegetables and smoked fish.
FAQ About the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
What is Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe made of?
Kraelian Pie is a traditional Finnish pastry made with a rye flour crust and a filling of rice, eggs, milk, and butter. It is usually served as an appetizer or snack and is a popular dish during festivals and holidays.
Can I make a Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Kraelian Pie ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the pie in a preheated oven for a few minutes until warmed through.
Can I freeze a Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe?
Yes, you can freeze Kraelian Pie for up to 3 months. Wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. To reheat, thaw the pie in the refrigerator overnight and then bake in a preheated oven until heated through.
Can I use a different type of flour for the crust?
Yes, you can use a different type of flour for the crust, such as all-purpose flour or wheat flour. However, using rye flour gives the pie its distinctive taste and texture.
Can I make a vegetarian version of the Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of Kraelian Pie by omitting the hard-boiled eggs from the filling. You can also add vegetables, such as mushrooms or spinach, to the filling for added flavor and nutrition.
After making the traditional Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe at home, I can’t help but feel grateful for the opportunity to explore new dishes and bring them to my kitchen. This pie has become a favorite of mine, and I’m excited to share my experience with you all.
The process of baking this pie was a delightful adventure. From learning new techniques to enjoying the satisfying smell of freshly baked pie, every step was a joy. It felt like I was bringing a piece of Finland into my own home, and that was a truly special experience.
When I finally tasted the pie, it was a moment to remember. The scrumptious flavors and the creamy egg butter melted in my mouth, creating an unforgettable culinary experience. I knew then that this recipe was a keeper, and it would be a dish I’d make time and time again.
The Finnish Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter recipe is not only a delicious treat but also a fantastic way to expand our cooking skills and bring new flavors into our lives. I’m so happy I discovered this dish on my trip and can’t wait to continue exploring more amazing recipes from around the world. Give this recipe a try, and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it just as I did. Enjoy your baking journey, and savor the delightful taste of this incredible pie.
Finland Kraelian Pie with Egg Butter Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- Rolling Pin
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
For the crust
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tbsp butter melted
For the filling
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 hard-boiled eggs finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rye flour, all-purpose flour, and salt for the crust.
- Gradually add hot water and melted butter to the flour mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Mix until a smooth dough is formed. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, milk, melted butter, salt, chopped eggs, and parsley for the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a thin circle on a floured surface.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling on each circle, leaving the edges free.
- Fold the edges of the dough towards the center, creating a ruffled border around the filling.
- Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the pies cool for a few minutes before serving.