Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 05:20 am
The Belizean Ceviche Recipe is a popular seafood dish that is typically made with raw fish or conch, mixed with vegetables, and marinated in citrus juices. This recipe is a perfect appetizer or light meal that is both flavorful and refreshing.
Want more ideas to round-out your Haitian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
When I stumbled upon this recipe, I was immediately intrigued by the unique blend of flavors and textures. As someone who loves to experiment with new dishes, I was excited to give this recipe a try.
What I loved most about this dish was the freshness of the ingredients. The citrus juices used to marinate the conch or fish really bring out the natural flavors of the seafood and give it a tangy kick. The addition of fresh vegetables like tomatoes, onions, and cilantro provide a nice crunch and balance out the acidity of the citrus.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
One thing to note about this recipe is that it requires a bit of prep work. The seafood needs to be cleaned and chopped before it can be marinated, but the end result is definitely worth the effort.
Overall, I highly recommend giving this Belize Ceviche Recipe a try. It’s a delicious and healthy dish that’s perfect for a hot summer day or a light lunch. Be sure to check out the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions on how to make this tasty dish.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
1. Unique Flavor Profile: As someone who loves trying new dishes, I was drawn to the Belize Ceviche Recipe for its unique blend of flavors. The combination of fresh seafood, citrus juices, and crisp vegetables creates a tangy and refreshing taste that is perfect for a hot summer day. The acidity of the citrus juices really brings out the natural flavors of the seafood and gives it a flavorful kick that’s hard to resist. Overall, the unique flavor profile of the Belizean Ceviche Recipe is definitely one of its biggest draws.
2. Healthy and Nutritious: Not only is the Belize Ceviche Recipe delicious, but it’s also a healthy and nutritious dish. The use of fresh seafood, vegetables, and citrus juices provides a wealth of vitamins and nutrients that are essential for a balanced diet. Seafood is a great source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids, while the vegetables add fiber and essential vitamins. Additionally, the dish is low in calories and carbs, making it a great option for those watching their weight.
3. Easy to Customize: Another great thing about the Belizean Ceviche Recipe is how easy it is to customize. You can use different types of seafood, such as shrimp or scallops, depending on your personal preferences. You can also adjust the amount of citrus juices and spices to suit your taste. Additionally, you can serve the dish with a variety of sides, such as tortilla chips or avocado slices, to create a complete meal. Overall, the flexibility of the Belizean Ceviche Recipe makes it a great option for any occasion.
How To Make Our Belize Ceviche Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
2 lbs conch or seafood of choice, cleaned and chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the chopped conch or seafood, diced onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper.
2. Pour in the lime juice and orange juice, and stir well to combine.
3. Add in the chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve cold with tortilla chips or crackers.
Nutritional Information For the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
Saturated Fat: 0g
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A (No cooking required as the seafood is marinated in citrus juices)
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
The Belize Ceviche Recipe doesn’t require any pots or pans as the seafood is marinated in citrus juices. You will, however, need a large bowl to mix and marinate the ingredients.
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
Leftover Belizean Ceviche can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. It’s important to note that the longer the seafood is marinated, the more it will break down and become soft. It’s best to consume the ceviche within 24 hours for the best texture and flavor.
Substitutions For the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
If conch is not available, you can use any other type of firm, white-fleshed fish such as cod or halibut. Additionally, you can substitute the orange juice with grapefruit or pineapple juice for a different flavor profile.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Belize Ceviche Recipe
To make a vegetarian version of Belizean Ceviche, you can substitute the seafood with diced tofu or hearts of palm. You can also add in some extra vegetables such as cucumber or mango for additional flavor and texture.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use fresh seafood and vegetables for the best flavor and texture.
Make sure to clean and chop the seafood and vegetables thoroughly before marinating.
Stir the ceviche occasionally while marinating to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly coated with the citrus juices.
Serve the ceviche cold for the best taste and texture.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
Belizean Ceviche is often served with tortilla chips or crackers. You can also serve it with sliced avocado, black beans, or a side salad for a more filling meal.
How To Serve the Belize Ceviche Recipe
To serve the Belizean Ceviche, spoon it into individual bowls or onto a large platter. Garnish with additional cilantro and serve with tortilla chips or crackers on the side. Enjoy the ceviche cold and refrigerate any leftovers promptly.
FAQ About the Belizean Ceviche Recipe
What is the origin of the Belize Ceviche Recipe?
The Belizean Ceviche Recipe originates from the Caribbean country of Belize, where it is a popular seafood dish that is often served as an appetizer.
Can the Belizean Ceviche Recipe be made with any type of seafood?
Yes, the Belize Ceviche Recipe can be made with a variety of seafood such as conch, shrimp, scallops, or even fish. The key is to use firm, white-fleshed seafood that can hold up to the citrus marinade.
How long should the Belizean Ceviche Recipe be marinated for?
It is recommended to marinate the Belizean Ceviche Recipe for at least 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. The longer the seafood is marinated, the softer and more “cooked” it will become.
Is the Belize Ceviche Recipe spicy?
The level of spiciness in the Belizean Ceviche Recipe can be adjusted to taste. The recipe calls for jalapeno pepper, which can be substituted with a milder or hotter pepper depending on your preference.
Can the Belize Ceviche Recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, the Belizean Ceviche Recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, it’s important to note that the longer the seafood is marinated, the softer it will become. It’s best to consume the ceviche within 24 hours for the best texture and flavor.
The Belize Ceviche Recipe is a delicious and refreshing dish that is perfect for seafood lovers. As a foodie who loves trying new dishes, I was excited to give this recipe a try and was not disappointed. The combination of fresh seafood, citrus juices, and crisp vegetables creates a unique blend of flavors that is both tangy and flavorful.
What I loved most about this dish was how easy it was to customize. You can use different types of seafood or adjust the amount of citrus juices and spices to suit your taste. Additionally, it’s a healthy and nutritious dish that’s low in calories and carbs. One thing to note about this recipe is that it requires a bit of prep work, but the end result is definitely worth the effort.
Overall, I highly recommend giving the Belizean Ceviche Recipe a try. It’s a great option for a light lunch or a refreshing appetizer on a hot summer day.
Belizean Ceviche Recipe
- 2 lbs conch or seafood of choice cleaned and chopped
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped conch or seafood, diced onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper.
- Pour in the lime juice and orange juice, and stir well to combine.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips or crackers.