Last updated on October 6th, 2023 at 04:14 am
5 Spokane Top Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
This city boasts a delightful array of Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants that cater to diverse palates and offer unique culinary experiences. Each of the five restaurants we’ve explored in this article, The Viking, Queen of Sheba, Hay J’s Bistro, Frank’s Diner Downtown, and Two Seven Public House, holds a special place in the hearts of locals and visitors alike.
From The Viking’s comforting Scandinavian-American fusion dishes to Queen of Sheba’s authentic Ethiopian cuisine, these establishments showcase the rich diversity of flavors available in Spokane. Hay J’s Bistro impresses with its commitment to locally sourced ingredients and historic charm, while Frank’s Diner Downtown delivers nostalgia and comfort in a railway car setting. Two Seven Public House rounds out our list with its welcoming neighborhood ambiance and a menu that combines pub-style classics with modern twists.
However, it’s important to note that Spokane’s culinary scene is not limited to just these five exceptional restaurants. The city is teeming with numerous other Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, each with its own unique character and offerings waiting to be discovered. Exploring Spokane’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants is a delightful adventure for food enthusiasts, and there are plenty more surprises awaiting those willing to venture off the beaten path. This is why these are some of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Top Spokane Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
1) The Viking
Address: 1221 N Stevens St.
The Viking is undoubtedly one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nestled discreetly in the heart of this vibrant city. This family-owned and operated gem has been a popular part of the Spokane dining scene for years. With its unassuming exterior and cozy interior, it’s a place that locals swear by, and once you step inside, you’ll understand why.
The Viking specializes in hearty and satisfying comfort food, offering a delightful fusion of Scandinavian and American cuisine. The ambiance is warm and welcoming, making it the perfect spot for a casual family dinner or a quiet date night.
Main Menu Items:
1. Viking Burger: The Viking Burger is a masterpiece of flavors. It starts with a perfectly seasoned beef patty cooked to your liking, topped with crispy bacon, melted Swiss cheese, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and a special Viking sauce. Served with a side of golden, hand-cut fries, this burger is a mouthwatering delight that keeps patrons coming back for more.
2. Swedish Meatballs: For a taste of Scandinavia, the Swedish Meatballs are a must-try. These tender, bite-sized meatballs are made from a secret family recipe and smothered in a rich, creamy gravy. Served with a side of lingonberry sauce and buttery mashed potatoes, this dish provides a comforting and authentic Scandinavian experience.
3. Halibut Fish and Chips: The Viking’s Halibut Fish and Chips are a seafood lover’s dream. The dish features fresh, flaky halibut fillets coated in a crispy beer batter and served with a generous portion of thick-cut fries. It’s accompanied by house-made tartar sauce and a zesty coleslaw, making it a satisfying and flavorful choice for those craving a taste of the sea.
“The Viking is a hidden treasure in Spokane! The Viking Burger is hands down the best burger I’ve ever had. The cozy atmosphere and friendly staff make it feel like a home away from home.”
“I come here for the Swedish Meatballs, and they never disappoint. It’s like a little slice of Sweden right here in Spokane. The portion size is perfect, and the lingonberry sauce is the cherry on top.”
“The Halibut Fish and Chips at The Viking are out of this world! Crispy, golden perfection. The staff is always welcoming, and I can’t recommend this place enough.”
The Viking is undeniably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, popular for its warm ambiance, family-owned charm, and delectable comfort food. From the mouthwatering Viking Burger to the authentic Swedish Meatballs and the delightful Halibut Fish and Chips, their menu offers a diverse range of flavors to satisfy every palate.
They are one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re a local or just passing through Spokane, a visit to The Viking is a culinary experience you won’t want to miss. They rank high among the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants for good reasons.
2) Queen of Sheba
Address: 621 W Mallon Ave #426
Queen of Sheba is truly one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nestled in the heart of the city. This family-owned and operated eatery has been a popular fixture in Spokane’s culinary scene for years. When you step inside, you’ll discover a warm and inviting atmosphere that perfectly complements the restaurant’s authentic Ethiopian cuisine.
One of the standout dishes at Queen of Sheba is the “Doro Wat.” This is a rich and flavorful Ethiopian stew made with tender chicken simmered in a spicy berbere sauce, which is a unique blend of chili peppers and aromatic spices. The dish is traditionally served with injera, a spongy Ethiopian flatbread used for scooping up the delicious stew. Doro Wat is a culinary masterpiece that captures the essence of Ethiopian flavors.
Main Menu Items:
1. Kitfo: Kitfo is a classic Ethiopian dish that showcases finely minced raw beef, seasoned with a mixture of spices and served with a side of homemade cheese and injera. It offers a bold and spicy flavor profile that’s sure to tantalize your taste buds.
2. Veggie Combo: For those seeking a vegetarian option, the Veggie Combo is a delightful choice. It includes a variety of colorful and flavorful vegetable dishes, such as lentils, collard greens, and potatoes, all seasoned with traditional Ethiopian spices. Served with injera, it’s a satisfying and wholesome meal.
3. Lamb Tibs: The Lamb Tibs are a savory delight. Tender pieces of lamb are sautéed with onions, tomatoes, and peppers, creating a succulent and aromatic dish that’s bursting with flavor. Served with injera, it’s a hearty option for meat lovers.
“Queen of Sheba is a hidden gem in Spokane. The Doro Wat is to die for; it’s bursting with spicy goodness. The warm and welcoming atmosphere makes every visit feel like a trip to Ethiopia itself.”
“I’m a vegetarian, and I can’t get enough of their Veggie Combo. The variety of dishes and the blend of spices are simply fantastic. The injera is the perfect accompaniment. This place is a must-visit.”
“The Lamb Tibs here are out of this world! The flavors are authentic and remind me of my travels in Ethiopia. The family that owns the restaurant is incredibly friendly, and the experience is always top-notch.”
In summary, Queen of Sheba stands as one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering a unique and immersive culinary experience with its authentic Ethiopian cuisine. From the iconic Doro Wat to the flavorful Kitfo and hearty Lamb Tibs, their menu is a testament to the rich and diverse flavors of Ethiopia.
They are absolutely one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re a seasoned fan of Ethiopian food or a newcomer to this cuisine, Queen of Sheba is a must-visit destination that promises a warm welcome and a memorable dining experience. They stand out among the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
3) Hay J’s Bistro
Address: 21706 E Mission Ave,
Liberty Lake, WA
Hay J’s Bistro is unquestionably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, discreetly tucked away in the heart of the city. This charming restaurant is a true family-owned and operated gem, known for its dedication to providing an exceptional dining experience. With an inviting atmosphere and a commitment to locally sourced ingredients, Hay J’s Bistro has carved its niche as a culinary treasure in Spokane.
One of the standout dishes at Hay J’s Bistro is their “Pan-Seared Alaskan Halibut.” This delectable creation features a perfectly pan-seared Alaskan halibut fillet served atop a bed of risotto, accompanied by seasonal vegetables, and drizzled with a citrus buerre blanc sauce. The dish captures the essence of the Pacific Northwest with its fresh flavors and expertly prepared seafood.
Main Menu Items:
1. Bistro Filet Mignon: The Bistro Filet Mignon is a carnivore’s dream come true. This succulent and tender cut of beef is cooked to perfection, topped with a flavorful demi-glace sauce, and served with garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans. It’s a dish that elevates the classic steakhouse experience.
2. Wild Mushroom Ravioli: For a delightful vegetarian option, the Wild Mushroom Ravioli is a must-try. Handcrafted ravioli is stuffed with a medley of wild mushrooms and ricotta cheese, then tossed in a truffle cream sauce. The dish is finished with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh chives, offering a harmonious blend of earthy and creamy flavors.
3. Lobster Mac and Cheese: Hay J’s Bistro’s Lobster Mac and Cheese is a decadent and comforting choice. Succulent chunks of lobster are folded into creamy macaroni and cheese, creating a rich and indulgent dish. Topped with breadcrumbs and baked to golden perfection, it’s a favorite among seafood lovers.
“Hay J’s Bistro is a true hidden gem in Spokane. The Pan-Seared Alaskan Halibut is out of this world; it’s like a culinary masterpiece on a plate. The cozy ambiance and attentive staff make every visit special.”
“I can’t get enough of their Bistro Filet Mignon. It’s always cooked to perfection, and the flavors are impeccable. The attention to detail in every dish is what sets this restaurant apart.”
“The Lobster Mac and Cheese here is the ultimate comfort food. The lobster is so tender, and the cheesy goodness is just divine. It’s no wonder Hay J’s Bistro is considered one of Spokane’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
In summary, Hay J’s Bistro is undeniably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, celebrated for its commitment to quality ingredients, warm ambiance, and exceptional dishes. From the Pan-Seared Alaskan Halibut to the Bistro Filet Mignon and Lobster Mac and Cheese, their menu offers a diverse range of culinary delights that cater to various tastes.
They are another of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re seeking a romantic dinner or a memorable dining experience with family and friends, Hay J’s Bistro delivers on all fronts and remains a popular culinary destination in Spokane. They deserve to be ranked high among the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
4) Frank’s Diner Downtown
Address: 1516 W 2nd Ave.
Frank’s Diner Downtown is undeniably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This charming establishment, family-owned and operated, has been a popular part of Spokane’s culinary landscape for years. Housed in a historic railway car, it offers a unique dining experience that combines nostalgia with delicious comfort food.
Frank’s Diner Downtown is renowned for its “Garbage Plate.” This iconic dish is a hearty breakfast skillet that combines hash browns, eggs, a choice of meat (such as sausage, bacon, or ham), and a medley of sautéed vegetables. Topped with melted cheese and served with toast, it’s a flavorful and filling meal that has become a local legend.
Main Menu Items:
1. Corned Beef Hash: Frank’s Diner Downtown serves up a classic Corned Beef Hash that’s a breakfast favorite. Tender chunks of corned beef are sautéed with diced potatoes and onions, creating a savory and satisfying dish. It’s served with eggs cooked to your preference and a side of toast.
2. Biscuits and Gravy: The Biscuits and Gravy at Frank’s Diner Downtown are a comfort food dream. Flaky biscuits are smothered in a creamy sausage gravy that’s rich and flavorful. It’s a Southern-inspired dish that warms the heart and leaves you craving more.
3. Mushroom Swiss Burger: For those looking for a savory lunch option, the Mushroom Swiss Burger is a top choice. This burger features a juicy beef patty topped with sautéed mushrooms and Swiss cheese, served on a toasted bun with all the fixings. It’s a satisfying burger that hits the spot.
“Frank’s Diner Downtown is a true Spokane treasure. The Garbage Plate is a hangover cure and comfort food rolled into one. The nostalgic atmosphere inside the railway car is a bonus. A must-visit for breakfast lovers!”
“I can’t resist their Biscuits and Gravy. The gravy is the right balance of creamy and peppery, and the biscuits are always fresh and fluffy. It’s the perfect way to start your day.”
“The Mushroom Swiss Burger here is a hidden gem. The mushrooms are sautéed to perfection, and the Swiss cheese adds a creamy touch. Frank’s Diner Downtown has that down-to-earth, friendly vibe that keeps me coming back.”
In summary, Frank’s Diner Downtown is unquestionably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, celebrated for its nostalgic railway car setting, family-owned charm, and delectable comfort food. From the legendary Garbage Plate to the classic Corned Beef Hash and Biscuits and Gravy, their menu offers a taste of home-cooked goodness that keeps patrons returning time and again.
They are obviously one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.Whether you’re seeking a hearty breakfast or a satisfying lunch, Frank’s Diner Downtown is a Spokane institution that delivers a warm welcome and a delicious dining experience. They have earned the rank of being one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
5) Two Seven Public House
Address: 2727 S Mt Vernon St # 5
Two Seven Public House is unequivocally one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This cozy establishment is a hidden gem in the city, and it prides itself on being family-owned and operated. Nestled in a welcoming neighborhood setting, Two Seven Public House offers a delightful fusion of pub-style comfort food and a warm, friendly atmosphere.
Two Seven Public House is renowned for its “Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf.” This dish is a comforting masterpiece that combines savory meatloaf wrapped in crispy bacon, served with garlic mashed potatoes, and smothered in a rich mushroom gravy. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that embodies the essence of comfort food.
Main Menu Items:
1. Fish and Chips: Two Seven Public House’s Fish and Chips are a crowd-pleaser. Crispy beer-battered cod fillets are served with a generous portion of hand-cut fries, creating a classic pub-style dish. It’s accompanied by house-made tartar sauce and coleslaw, offering a taste of traditional British fare.
2. Chicken Pot Pie: The Chicken Pot Pie at Two Seven Public House is a comforting choice for those seeking a warm and hearty meal. Tender pieces of chicken and vegetables are enveloped in a flaky pastry crust, creating a dish that’s both homey and delicious.
3. Southwest Chicken Salad: For a lighter option, the Southwest Chicken Salad is a popular pick. Grilled chicken breast is served atop a bed of mixed greens, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and avocado, all tossed in a zesty cilantro-lime dressing. It’s a refreshing and flavorful salad that’s perfect for a satisfying yet health-conscious meal.
“Two Seven Public House is a local gem. The Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf is an absolute must-try. It’s comfort food at its finest. The staff is always welcoming, making it feel like a home away from home.”
“Their Fish and Chips are some of the best in Spokane. The cod is crispy and perfectly seasoned, and the fries are addictive. Two Seven Public House is the kind of place where you’re treated like family.”
“I love their Southwest Chicken Salad! It’s a flavorful and healthy option, and the cilantro-lime dressing is fantastic. Two Seven Public House is truly one of Spokane’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
In summary, Two Seven Public House is unquestionably one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, popular for its inviting ambiance, family ownership, and a menu that balances classic pub fare with a modern twist. From the indulgent Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf to the comforting Chicken Pot Pie and the refreshing Southwest Chicken Salad, their offerings cater to a diverse range of tastes.
They are considered one of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re seeking a hearty meal or a lighter option, Two Seven Public House offers a warm and welcoming dining experience that keeps locals and visitors coming back for more. They deserve to be ranked among the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
Whether you’re a local looking to expand your culinary horizons or a visitor eager to savor the flavors of the city, these Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants serve as a starting point for your gastronomic journey. So, the next time you find yourself in Spokane, don’t hesitate to embark on your own culinary exploration and uncover the city’s hidden culinary treasures. The Spokane top hole-in-the-wall restaurants are a testament to the city’s vibrant food culture, and there’s always more to savor and enjoy in this dynamic culinary landscape.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape