Last updated on October 6th, 2023 at 03:05 am
5 Best Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in St. Louis
These five best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis stand out as true hidden gems that promise unforgettable dining experiences. From the warm embrace of Hodak’s Restaurant & Bar, where crispy fried chicken takes center stage, to the artistic haven of SweetArt, where vegan delights redefine comfort, each establishment carries its own unique charm and flavor.
Venturing further, La Vallesana captures the vibrant spirit of Mexico with its delectable street tacos and authentic dishes, while The Scottish Arms offers a journey to Scotland through its hearty Shepherd’s Pie and rich pub culture. And finally, Seamus McDaniel’s transports you to an Irish pub atmosphere, where classic Reuben sandwiches and comforting stews make for a delightful meal.
However, these five best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis are just a glimpse of the diverse and vibrant hole-in-the-wall scene. Beyond these, the city holds a treasure trove of undiscovered hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis that are just waiting to be explored. Each neighborhood, each street, and each corner may reveal its own hidden culinary gems – small, unassuming eateries that hold the promise of unique flavors, warm atmospheres, and authentic experiences. This is why these are some of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Top Hole-in-the-Wall BBQ Joints in St. Louis
1) Hodak’s Restaurant & Bar
Hodak’s Restaurant & Bar, nestled in the heart of the city, stands as one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Situated in the historic Soulard neighborhood, this family-owned and operated gem has been serving the community since 1962. Known for its unassuming exterior and warm, welcoming interior, Hodak’s offers a quintessential St. Louis dining experience.
A visit to Hodak’s isn’t complete without indulging in their famed “Fried Chicken Plate.” This dish perfectly captures the essence of comfort food. Crispy, golden-brown fried chicken is paired with a side of velvety mashed potatoes and creamy gravy. The balance of textures and flavors in this dish exemplifies Hodak’s commitment to quality and tradition.
Main Menu Items:
1. Fried Chicken Plate: A generous portion of Hodak’s famous fried chicken, served with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy, along with buttery corn and freshly baked dinner rolls.
2. Pork Steak Sandwich: A tender, marinated pork steak, grilled to perfection and served on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Accompanied by a choice of fries or onion rings.
3. Fish and Chips: Delicate white fish fillets coated in a light, crispy batter, accompanied by a hearty portion of seasoned French fries and homemade coleslaw.
“Hodak’s embodies the essence of a hidden culinary treasure. The fried chicken is an absolute must-try – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. The atmosphere is charmingly unpretentious, making you feel like part of the family.”
“Whenever I’m in St. Louis, Hodak’s is my top choice. The pork steak sandwich is an explosion of flavors, and their commitment to quality is evident in every bite. It’s a local treasure that never disappoints.”
“I stumbled upon Hodak’s during a trip, and I’m so glad I did. The fish and chips were divine – the fish was flaky and the batter was perfection. The cozy ambiance and friendly staff made the experience even better.”
Hodak’s Restaurant & Bar is one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis that has stood the test of time. With a warm and inviting atmosphere, this family-owned establishment delights visitors with their signature fried chicken and a range of delectable dishes. Located in the charming Soulard neighborhood, Hodak’s continues to capture the hearts and palates of locals and travelers alike.
They are one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. A visit to this hidden culinary treasure promises an authentic taste of St. Louis, and it’s no wonder it’s considered one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in the city. They deserve to be ranked among the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
SweetArt stands as one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Nestled in the historic Shaw neighborhood, this family-owned and operated gem exudes warmth and creativity. SweetArt isn’t just a restaurant; it’s an artful culinary haven that has been captivating locals and visitors alike.
SweetArt is renowned for its delectable “Vegan Cinnamon Rolls.” These heavenly rolls are a testament to the restaurant’s commitment to crafting exceptional vegan delights. Soft, pillowy rolls are swirled with a perfect balance of cinnamon and sweetness, crowned with a velvety glaze that’s pure indulgence.
Main Menu Items:
1. BBQ “Pork” Mac ‘n’ Cheese: A soul-satisfying vegan take on the classic comfort food, featuring elbow macaroni smothered in creamy vegan cheese sauce and topped with tender BBQ “pork” made from plant-based ingredients.
2. Fried “Chicken” and Waffles: A creative twist on a Southern favorite, featuring crispy fried vegan “chicken” atop fluffy waffles, served with a side of maple syrup and dairy-free butter.
3. Loaded Sweet Potato Fries: Irresistible sweet potato fries piled high with an array of vegan toppings, including black beans, avocado, tangy salsa, and a drizzle of creamy vegan ranch.
“SweetArt is a true hidden gem. Their vegan cinnamon rolls are beyond heavenly – the perfect blend of flavors and textures. The atmosphere is cozy and inviting, making it a must-visit spot in St. Louis.”
“As a vegan, finding great comfort food can be a challenge, but SweetArt nails it every time. The BBQ ‘pork’ mac ‘n’ cheese is a revelation – rich and satisfying without compromising on flavor.”
“I’m not vegan, but SweetArt has won me over with their creativity and deliciousness. The fried ‘chicken’ and waffles blew my mind – you wouldn’t believe it’s not the real thing. This place is truly a culinary treasure.”
SweetArt, situated in the heart of Shaw neighborhood, is undeniably one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. With its imaginative vegan offerings and unforgettable signature dish, the Vegan Cinnamon Rolls, it’s a place where culinary artistry meets comfort. They are one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
Family-owned and operated, SweetArt continues to captivate both vegans and non-vegans alike, making it an essential stop for anyone seeking exceptional food in a charming and cozy atmosphere. They have earned the rank of being one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
3) La Vallesana
La Vallesana unquestionably qualifies as one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Situated in the historic Cherokee Street district, this family-owned and operated establishment offers an authentic taste of Mexican cuisine in an unassuming yet inviting setting.
La Vallesana is renowned for its exceptional “Street Tacos.” These tacos embody the essence of traditional Mexican street food. Soft, handmade corn tortillas are filled with a variety of delectable options, from tender carne asada to succulent pastor, and garnished with fresh cilantro, diced onions, and a splash of zesty lime.
Main Menu Items:
1. Torta Ahogada: A hearty Mexican sandwich featuring slow-cooked, savory carnitas smothered in a rich, spicy red chili sauce. The sandwich is served on a crusty roll called a bolillo, offering a delightful contrast of textures.
2. Molcajete: A flavorful and visually striking dish consisting of grilled steak, chicken, chorizo, and cactus served in a volcanic stone mortar, accompanied by a piquant salsa and warm tortillas for a customizable dining experience.
3. Elote en Vaso: A playful take on the popular street food, this dish presents roasted corn kernels served in a cup, layered with a blend of mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, and a squeeze of lime for an explosion of flavors.
“La Vallesana is a true treasure on Cherokee Street. The street tacos are an absolute delight – each bite transports you to the streets of Mexico. This place captures the heart of Mexican cuisine in St. Louis.”
“The Torta Ahogada is a flavor bomb! The carnitas are melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the chili sauce adds a fiery kick that elevates the whole experience. Definitely one of the best hole-in-the-wall spots in the city.”
“I can’t get enough of La Vallesana’s Molcajete. The presentation is stunning, and the mix of meats and flavors is outstanding. The restaurant’s commitment to authenticity shines through in every dish.”
La Vallesana, nestled in vibrant Cherokee Street district, is undeniably one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Its dedication to providing an authentic taste of Mexican cuisine, highlighted by their signature Street Tacos, sets it apart.
They are another of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. A family-owned gem, La Vallesana captures the spirit of Mexican street food in an unpretentious and inviting atmosphere, making it an essential destination for anyone seeking a genuine culinary experience in St. Louis. They deserve to be ranked high among the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
4) The Scottish Arms
The Scottish Arms undoubtedly ranks among the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Situated in the historic Central West End neighborhood, this family-owned and operated gem presents an authentic Scottish experience with a welcoming touch.
The Scottish Arms is renowned for its mouthwatering “Shepherd’s Pie.” This classic Scottish dish embodies comfort and tradition. A hearty blend of ground lamb, vegetables, and savory spices is smothered in a layer of creamy mashed potatoes, creating a harmonious symphony of flavors and textures.
Main Menu Items:
1. Fish and Chips: A quintessential British staple, featuring beer-battered cod fillets served with a generous portion of crispy hand-cut fries, accompanied by house-made tartar sauce and malt vinegar for an authentic touch.
2. Scotch Egg: A delectable appetizer consisting of a hard-boiled egg wrapped in flavorful sausage meat, coated in a golden breadcrumb crust, and deep-fried to perfection. Served with a zesty mustard sauce for dipping.
3. Haggis: A traditional Scottish dish that embraces the culinary heritage of Scotland. A mix of minced sheep’s heart, liver, and lungs is blended with spices, oats, and onions, then encased in a sheep’s stomach and simmered to create a rich, robust flavor.
“The Scottish Arms is a hidden treasure in the Central West End. The Shepherd’s Pie is a must-try – it transports you straight to Scotland. The warm and inviting atmosphere makes it one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.”
“Their Fish and Chips are a nostalgic delight. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and paired with perfect fries. The restaurant’s commitment to authenticity shines through.”
“The Scotch Egg was a revelation – a crispy exterior giving way to a savory surprise inside. The Haggis was a true adventure for my taste buds. The Scottish Arms is a culinary gem that captures the essence of Scottish cuisine.”
The Scottish Arms, located in the charming Central West End, is undeniably one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. With its dedication to presenting an authentic Scottish culinary experience and its signature dish, the Shepherd’s Pie, it offers a taste of Scotland’s rich heritage.
They are one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. A family-owned establishment, The Scottish Arms combines tradition and comfort in an inviting atmosphere, making it a must-visit destination for those seeking a genuine Scottish dining adventure in St. Louis. They stand out among the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
5) Seamus McDaniel’s
Seamus McDaniel’s is unquestionably one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. Situated in the historic Dogtown neighborhood, this family-owned and operated establishment offers a cozy and welcoming atmosphere that captures the essence of Irish pub culture.
Seamus McDaniel’s is renowned for its iconic “Reuben Sandwich.” This classic deli creation is given an Irish twist, featuring layers of tender corned beef, tangy sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing, all stacked between slices of rye bread and grilled to perfection.
Main Menu Items:
1. Fish and Chips: A nod to traditional Irish fare, this dish boasts golden-battered cod fillets served with a generous portion of crispy fries, along with a side of house-made tartar sauce and malt vinegar for that authentic touch.
2. Shepherd’s Pie: A hearty and savory favorite, combining seasoned ground beef, lamb, and vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes and baked until golden brown.
3. Irish Stew: A comforting bowl of slow-cooked goodness, filled with tender chunks of beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions, all simmered together in a flavorful broth.
“Seamus McDaniel’s is a local treasure. The Reuben Sandwich is out of this world – each bite is a journey of flavors. The atmosphere feels like a cozy Irish pub, making it one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.”
“I can’t get enough of their Fish and Chips – the crispy batter and flaky fish are spot-on. The Shepherd’s Pie is like a warm hug for your taste buds. This place captures the spirit of Ireland perfectly.”
“The Irish Stew is comfort in a bowl. Seamus McDaniel’s nails the essence of hearty, soul-satisfying dishes. It’s a true gem that delivers on both food and atmosphere.”
Seamus McDaniel’s, nestled in the charming Dogtown neighborhood, unquestionably ranks among the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis. With its dedication to serving authentic Irish comfort food, highlighted by their signature Reuben Sandwich, it offers a taste of Ireland’s rich culinary heritage. They are one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis.
A family-owned establishment, Seamus McDaniel’s combines hearty flavors with a cozy and inviting atmosphere, making it a must-visit destination for those seeking an authentic Irish pub experience in St. Louis. They rank high among the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis for good reasons.
Now you know why these are some of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis and that this list is in no particular order.
So, whether you’re a local seeking a new dining adventure or a visitor eager to savor the city’s authentic flavors, the journey doesn’t end here. This is a city rich in culinary surprises, and the hunt for the next best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis is an exciting quest that promises to reveal even more exceptional dining spots, each with its own story to tell and flavors to savor.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape