Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:28 pm
The Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is a time-honored dish that successfully marries Caribbean and European flavors. This meal stands out from the crowd because to its unusual combination of ingredients and the complimentary blending of Haitian and British and Irish culinary styles.
Want more ideas to round-out your Haitian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
The Haitian Cottage Pie recipe, which manages to be both traditional and innovative, is a testament to the creativity and adaptability of Haitian cooks.
The Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is a traditional British and Irish dish. Its Haitian namesake is similar in that both start with ground beef in a rich sauce and end with a layer of mashed potatoes that has been cooked to a golden brown.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
The inclusion of Caribbean spices and seasonings sets the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe apart from its European inspiration. This dish is a showcase for the culinary ingenuity and skill of Haitians, who have taken an old favorite and made it into something fresh and exciting.
The base of traditional Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is ground beef seasoned with a range of herbs, spices, and other flavors typical of the country’s cuisine. The dish gets its signature taste from a combination of ingredients, including garlic, onion, bell peppers, and Scotch bonnet peppers.
In other dishes, local vegetables and legumes are combined with the meat to create a new texture and flavor. The meat base is then covered with a layer of mashed root vegetables like yucca, malanga, or sweet potatoes, chosen for their availability in the area and their ability to complement the meat’s flavors.
Bake the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe until the topping is golden and crispy and the flavors have melded, about an hour after you’ve mixed everything together. So, you get a dish that is both cozy and filling, making it ideal for get-togethers with friends and family.
A popular side dish to go along with a Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is a green salad, steamed vegetables, or rice and beans. The dish’s malleability ensures it will remain popular in Haitian cuisine, and it may be used for a variety of occasions.
3 Reasons People Love the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
1. Unique Fusion of Culinary Traditions: The unusual combination of flavors in the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe recipe is a big part of why so many people adore it. Haitian chefs took the traditional British and Irish Cottage Pie and skillfully reworked it to highlight the tastes and ingredients of the Caribbean.
The ground meat in this unique take on the dish is seasoned with a variety of spices and herbs, as well as other ingredients that are standard in Haitian cooking, such as garlic, onion, bell peppers, and Scotch bonnet peppers. Instead of mashed potatoes, yucca, malanga, or sweet potatoes are used as a topping to give the meal a more local flavor.
Its mix of European and Caribbean flavors is a sensory experience like no other, captivating diners and leaving them wanting more.
2. Quality: The reassuring and filling qualities of the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe are another reason for its popularity. This dish’s savory ground pork foundation and creamy, crunchy root vegetable topping make it an excellent choice for large gatherings of friends and family or for a relaxed supper at home.
The adaptability of the main dish allows it to be paired with a wide variety of healthy and filling sides, such as crisp green salads, steaming vegetables, or rice and beans. If you’re looking for a hearty dish that will bring the family together, go no further than Haitian Cottage Pie.
3. Creativity: The Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is a delicious example of the creativity and inventiveness of Haitian cooks, who have taken a somewhat unremarkable European dish and made it their own. The ability of Haitian chefs to draw on a wide range of inspirations to produce meals that are at once recognizable and uniquely Haitian is on full display in this inventive reworking of a classic recipe using regional ingredients and spices.
How To Make Our Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Ingredients: (8 Servings)
For the filling:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup beef broth
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
For the topping:
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
4. Add the thyme, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and stir well to combine.
5. Pour in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the skillet and stir well to combine. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with the milk, butter, salt, and black pepper.
8. Spread the beef mixture evenly in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
Brush the beaten egg over the top of the mashed potatoes.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown.
Nutritional Information For the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Saturated Fat: 6g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Spoon or spatula
Potato masher or hand mixer
9×13 inch baking dish
Knife and cutting board
Best Way to Store Leftovers For the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
The leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the desired amount in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Possible Substitutions For the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Ground beef: ground turkey, ground chicken, or a meatless substitute such as crumbled tofu or tempeh
Beef broth: vegetable broth or water for a vegetarian version
Butter: vegan butter or olive oil for a vegan version
Milk: almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk for a vegan version
Egg: omit the egg for a vegan version
Ingredients to Substitute for a Vegetarian Version of the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
For the filling:
1 pound meatless substitute, such as crumbled tofu or tempeh
vegetable broth or water
Possible Side Dishes and Desserts to Serve With the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Haitian pikliz (spicy slaw)
Haitian sos pwa (black bean sauce)
Haitian douce (sweet potato pudding)
Haitian pain patate (sweet potato bread)
How To Serve the Haitian Cottage Pie Recipe
Cut the Haitian Cottage Pie into squares.
Place the squares on individual plates.
Garnish with chopped parsley or grated cheese, if desired.
Serve with additional Haitian side dishes or desserts.
FAQs About the Haitian Cottage Pie
What is Haitian Cottage Pie?
Haitian Cottage Pie is a traditional Haitian dish that features a ground beef filling topped with mashed potatoes. It is similar to the British dish, Shepherd’s Pie.
What are the main ingredients in Haitian Cottage Pie?
The main ingredients in the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe are ground beef, potatoes, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, and seasonings.
Is Haitian Cottage Pie a healthy dish?
The Haitian Cottage Pie recipe can be a healthy dish if made with lean ground beef and a lower-fat milk option for the mashed potato topping. Additionally, using fresh or frozen mixed vegetables provides added nutrition.
Can Haitian Cottage Pie be made ahead of time?
Yes, Haitian Cottage Pie can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the desired amount in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
What are some variations of Haitian Cottage Pie?
Variations of the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe may include different types of meat such as ground turkey or chicken, or a vegetarian version made with a meatless substitute such as crumbled tofu or tempeh. Additionally, some recipes may call for different seasonings or sauces such as a tomato-based sauce or a creamy sauce.
Being a world traveler who enjoys trying new foods, I’ve enjoyed my share of exceptional dinners. In particular, the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe captured my heart, and I cannot sing its praises loudly enough for others who share my enthusiasm for delicious food. Let me tell you why I think this meal is so great in case you haven’t tried it yet.
To begin, the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe is unparalleled in the culinary world owing to its cutting-edge fusion of international tastes and cooking methods. One of the most memorable meals I had in Haiti was a twist on the classic British and Irish Cottage Pie.
The base of ground beef was seasoned with many different herbs, spices, and other ingredients typical of Haitian cuisine, and it tasted fantastic. The mashed potatoes were replaced with yucca or sweet potatoes for a creative twist that set this dish apart from the rest.
Another reason I loved the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe was because it was so comforting and satisfying. Following a day of seeing the beautiful landscapes and vibrant culture of Haiti, there was nothing better than settling down to a hearty, comforting meal.
I felt well-fed and content due to the balance between the meat base and the crisp, cheesy root vegetable topping. The best part about eating this dish was sharing it with the friends I made on my travels because of the welcoming and comforting ambiance it provided.
And I think you’ll find that the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe prepared by Haitian chefs is a great example of their ingenuity and originality. Proof that the Haitian kitchen is receptive to new ideas comes from the fact that they were able to adapt a classic European recipe to make use of local products and flavors.
Last but not least, I strongly suggest you try the Haitian Cottage Pie recipe for yourself at home. The refreshing and satisfying flavors, the creative fusion of culinary traditions, and the display of Haitian culinary innovation will all capture your taste buds. If you ever find yourself in Haiti or in a Caribbean or Haitian restaurant outside of Haiti, you must have this delicious dish.
Haitian Cottage Pie
- Large Skillet
- Spoon or spatula
- Large Pot
- Potato masher or hand mixer
- 9x13 inch baking dish
- Knife and cutting board
For the filling
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
For the topping
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the thyme, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and stir well to combine.
- Pour in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the skillet and stir well to combine. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with the milk, butter, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the beef mixture evenly in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Brush the beaten egg over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown.