Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 05:11 am
I am excited to share with you my favorite recipe for Belizean Tamarind Balls. These balls are a popular snack in Belize, and I absolutely love them. I have made this recipe several times, and it is always a hit with my friends and family.
Want more ideas to round-out your Haitian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
To make the Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe, you will need tamarind paste, brown sugar, water, and allspice. I usually purchase the tamarind paste from my local grocery store or online. The paste has a sweet and sour taste, and it is perfect for making this snack.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
The recipe card below has all the measurements and instructions for making the Belizean Tamarind Balls. One thing to note is that you will need to let the mixture cool before shaping it into balls. The mixture can be quite sticky, so I recommend using some vegetable oil on your hands to make it easier to shape.
These tamarind balls are a great snack to have on hand. They are sweet and tangy, and they have a unique flavor that is hard to resist. I love how easy they are to make, and they are perfect for sharing with friends and family.
In addition to being delicious, tamarind has several health benefits. Tamarind is a good source of antioxidants, and it has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is also rich in fiber, which is important for maintaining good digestive health.
Overall, I highly recommend giving this Belize Tamarind Balls recipe a try. It is a unique and flavorful snack that is easy to make and perfect for sharing with loved ones. They are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth while also getting some health benefits from the tamarind. Make reference that they are in the recipe card below, and enjoy!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe
1. Unique Flavor: The Belize Tamarind Balls have a flavor unlike any other snack I’ve tried. The tamarind paste has a sweet and tangy taste that is perfectly balanced with the brown sugar and allspice. The mixture of flavors is unique and addictive, making it hard to stop eating these little balls of goodness. I love trying new and unique flavors, and this recipe definitely delivers on that front.
2. Healthy Snack Option: Snacking can be a tricky business when trying to eat healthy, but the Belizean Tamarind Balls recipe is a great option for those looking for a healthier snack. Tamarind paste is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a good source of fiber, which is essential for maintaining good digestive health. The brown sugar in the recipe can be substituted with a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup, making these balls a guilt-free snack option.
3. Easy to Make: While the Belizean Tamarind Balls may seem complex and time-consuming, they are actually quite easy to make. The recipe requires only a few ingredients and minimal equipment. The most challenging part of making these balls is shaping the sticky mixture into balls, but even that is not too difficult. I appreciate recipes that are easy to follow and don’t require too much time or effort to make, and this recipe definitely fits the bill.
How To Make Our Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 cup tamarind paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp allspice
1. In a saucepan, combine the tamarind paste, brown sugar, water, and allspice.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and becomes sticky, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove the mixture from heat and allow it to cool.
4. Once the mixture has cooled, use your hands to shape it into small balls.
5. Place the balls on a sheet of wax paper and allow them to cool completely before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 1 g
Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 2 mg
Potassium: 76 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 26 g
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes.
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe
Measuring cups and spoons
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe
The Belizean Tamarind Balls can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For longer storage, they can be refrigerated for up to 2-3 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, place the balls in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm, then transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag.
Substitutions For the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe
Brown sugar can be substituted with honey, maple syrup, or any other natural sweetener.
Allspice can be substituted with a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Tamarind Balls Recipe
This recipe is already vegetarian.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Use vegetable oil on your hands when shaping the mixture into balls to prevent sticking.
If the mixture becomes too sticky, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up before shaping.
To make the balls more uniform in size, use a cookie scoop or small ice cream scoop to portion out the mixture.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe
Fresh fruit, such as pineapple or mango, for a tropical twist.
Crispy plantain chips for a salty and crunchy contrast.
A light salad with a citrus dressing to balance out the sweetness of the tamarind balls.
How To Serve the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe
Serve the tamarind balls at room temperature as a sweet and tangy snack. They can also be enjoyed as a dessert, paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
FAQ About the Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe
What is tamarind paste and where can I find it for the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe?
Tamarind paste is a thick and sticky paste made from the fruit of the tamarind tree. It can usually be found in the international or ethnic food section of most grocery stores or online.
Is it necessary to use allspice for the Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe or can it be substituted?
Allspice is an essential ingredient in the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe, but it can be substituted with a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Can I make the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe ahead of time and store them for later?
Yes, the Belize Tamarind Balls can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, refrigerated for up to 2-3 weeks, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Are there any health benefits to the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe?
Yes, tamarind paste is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a good source of fiber, making it a healthier snacking option.
Can the Belizean Tamarind Balls Recipe be made into a vegetarian version?
The Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe is already vegetarian, but be sure to check the ingredients in the tamarind paste to ensure that it is vegetarian-friendly.
After cooking the Belizean Tamarind Balls recipe, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors is unique and delicious, and I can see why this snack is so popular in Belize.
One thing that stood out to me about this recipe is how easy it is to make. Despite the sticky texture of the tamarind paste, the process of making the balls was simple and straightforward. I appreciated the minimal amount of equipment required and the ease of the recipe overall.
Another aspect of the Belizean Tamarind Balls that I enjoyed was the health benefits. Tamarind paste is a great source of antioxidants and fiber, making it a healthier snack option than some other treats. I appreciate that this recipe allows for indulgence while still providing some nutritional benefits.
Overall, I highly recommend giving the Belize Tamarind Balls recipe a try. The unique flavor, ease of preparation, and health benefits make it a snack that is sure to impress. Whether you’re looking for a new recipe to try or simply want to explore a new flavor, this recipe is definitely worth checking out.
Belize Tamarind Balls Recipe
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wax paper
- 1 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp allspice
- In a saucepan, combine the tamarind paste, brown sugar, water, and allspice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and becomes sticky, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow it to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, use your hands to shape it into small balls.
- Place the balls on a sheet of wax paper and allow them to cool completely before serving.