Last updated on October 18th, 2023 at 07:33 am
The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe makes a delicious and filling meal that combines the irresistible crunch of perfectly seared chicken with the comforting, hearty texture of flavorful rice. This dish is easy to make and makes you feel good. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, but it looks good enough to serve at casual get-togethers with family and friends. Follow this step-by-step guide to learn how to make a delicious home-cooked meal with as little mess as possible.
Want more ideas to round-out your Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Start the The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe by patting your chicken pieces dry with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture. This will help the outside get crispy. Add a lot of salt, pepper, and any herbs and spices you like to the chicken. Lightly grease a large, heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven with oil or butter to keep food from sticking and make sure heat is spread evenly. Next put your pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken pieces carefully and sear them until they turn a beautiful golden brown color. Turn the chicken over to evenly brown the other side, then take the pieces out of the pan and set them aside for later.
In the same pan, turn the heat down to medium and cook the aromatic vegetables of your choice (such as onions, garlic, or bell peppers). Cook the vegetables until they get soft and start to smell good. This will set the stage for a flavorful dish. Try adding more herbs and spices to make the dish taste the way you like it. Stir the uncooked rice into the mixture of aromatic vegetables in the pan. Before adding the liquid, this step lets the rice soak up the flavors already in the pan and get a lightly toasted texture.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape
Pour the liquid, like chicken broth or water, into the pan and make sure the rice is completely covered. Place the chicken pieces that have been seared back into the pan and spread them out evenly over the rice mixture. Cover the pan or Dutch oven with a lid that fits tightly, and let the dish simmer gently over low heat on the stovetop. Cook for the amount of time suggested, checking the rice every so often to make sure it’s done evenly and that all the liquid has been absorbed.
Take the pan off the heat when the chicken is done and the rice is soft. Let the dish sit for a few minutes so the flavors can come together. Use a fork to fluff the rice and make sure it is light and fully cooked. Serve the crispy chicken and rice made in one pot in warm bowls and add fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon juice to make it taste even better.
By following this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to make a comforting, tasty, and easy-to-make The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipethat’s great for both busy weeknights and relaxing weekends. Share the One-Pot Crispy Chicken and Rice with your loved ones and enjoy how easy it is to make and how tasty it tastes.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
1. Perfectly Crispy Chicken Thighs: The skin on the chicken thighs is one of the main reasons why people love the The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe. The skin is seared until it turns golden brown and then baked in a Dutch oven. This makes the outside of the chicken crispy and flavorful while keeping the inside moist and tender. This makes a filling and tasty main course that even the pickiest eaters will love.
2. One-Pot Meal: People also like this The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe because it only uses one pot. The chicken is browned in the Dutch oven and then cooked with the rice to make a hearty and filling meal that is easy to make and easy to clean up. Adding vegetables like onions, garlic, and bell peppers gives the dish more flavor and nutrition, making it a complete meal that can be made in one pot.
3. Versatile and Adaptable: The recipe for The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe may be modified to suit your needs. Vegetables, such carrots, celery, or zucchini, may replace the veggies, and other grains, like quinoa or barley, can stand in for the rice. The recipe’s adaptability to different tastes is further enhanced by the fact that the spices may be altered to taste. This dish’s adaptability means it may be made in many different ways, making it a staple in the kitchens of many people.
The The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe is a tasty and gratifying meal that is simple to prepare, quick to clean up after, and can be modified to suit a variety of dietary needs and preferences. Healthy and delicious, this dish has chicken thighs with a crispy exterior, a robust rice base, and fragrant veggies, comforting and nutritious. It is no wonder that this recipe is a favorite among home cooks and continues to be a go-to dish for many families.
How To Make Our Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 cups long-grain white rice
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Lemon wedges and chopped parsley, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs skin side down and cook until the skin is crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside on a plate.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers to the pot and cook until they are softened, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat it in the oil and vegetable mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the rice is lightly toasted.
4. Add the chicken broth, paprika, oregano, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine everything together.
5. Place the chicken thighs back in the pot on top of the rice mixture, skin side up.
6. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender and fluffy.
8. Remove the pot from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
9. Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish the dish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.
Nutritional Information For the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Saturated Fat: 3g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Dutch oven with lid
Large mixing bowl
Measuring cups and spoons
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
To store leftovers, transfer the chicken and rice to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, add a splash of water or chicken broth to the container and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the dish in a covered baking dish in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20-25 minutes.
Substitutions For the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Just reduce the cooking time by a few minutes.
Any color of bell pepper can be used, or you can substitute with other vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or carrots.
Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make the dish vegetarian.
Substitute the rice with quinoa, couscous, or farro for a different grain.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
To make the dish vegetarian, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add in extra vegetables, like mushrooms or zucchini, to bulk up the dish.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
For extra crispy chicken skin, pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels before seasoning and searing.
Use a long-grain white rice that has been rinsed and drained before adding it to the pot to prevent it from getting too sticky.
To save time, chop the onion and bell peppers ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
If you don’t have a Dutch oven, you can use a heavy-bottomed pot or oven-safe skillet with a lid instead.
Add in extra spices, like cumin or smoked paprika, to customize the flavor of the dish.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Roasted vegetables, like broccoli or carrots
Green salad with a tangy vinaigrette
Grilled or roasted corn on the cob
Garlic bread or dinner rolls
Simple fruit salad, like sliced apples or grapes
How To Serve the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
To serve, scoop a generous portion of the chicken and rice onto each plate, making sure to get some of the crispy chicken skin on top. Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with your choice of side dishes and enjoy!
FAQs About the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
How do I make sure the chicken skin stays crispy in the The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe?
To make sure the chicken skin stays crispy, pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels before seasoning and searing. Additionally, make sure the lid of the Dutch oven is tight-fitting to trap in the moisture and create a steamy environment that will help keep the skin crispy.
Can I use other cuts of chicken in the The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe?
Yes, you can use other cuts of chicken like chicken breasts or drumsticks. Just be mindful of the cooking time as different cuts of chicken may require different cooking times.
How do I prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the Dutch oven?
Make sure to rinse and drain the rice before adding it to the Dutch oven. This will help remove any excess starch and prevent it from getting too sticky. Additionally, use a long-grain white rice, which tends to be less sticky than other types of rice.
Can I make this The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Just make sure to store the chicken and rice in separate containers and reheat them separately. Add a splash of water or chicken broth when reheating to help moisten the rice.
Can I add other vegetables to the The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe?
Yes, you can add other vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or carrots to the recipe to make it more colorful and nutritious. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly based on the type of vegetable you are using.
For several reasons, I’ve come to like the recipe for The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe. To begin, this dish is a tasty and convenient one-pot supper since it combines chicken thighs with rice cooked at the same time. The chicken thighs’ crispy skin is a highlight since it’s so flavorful and crunchy.
The The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe adaptability is another reason I like using it so often. If I want to make the meal more colorful or healthful, I may add additional veggies or alter the flavors to my liking. I like that it can be prepared in advance and reheated for convenience on hectic weeknights or for use in meal planning.
Finally, if you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing meal, try the Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken Thighs with Rice. Everyone I’ve ever served it to has raved about how tasty it is and asked for the recipe. It’s a warm and satisfying supper, ideal for sharing with friends and family.
A The Dutch Oven crispy Chicken and Rice recipe is one of my go-to dinnertime meals. It’s easy to make, has a lot of potential applications, and is great for feeding a large group. I can attest to its taste firsthand and urge you to do the same.
Dutch Oven Crispy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Dutch oven with lid
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges and chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs skin side down and cook until the skin is crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers to the pot and cook until they are softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat it in the oil and vegetable mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Add the chicken broth, paprika, oregano, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine everything together.
- Place the chicken thighs back in the pot on top of the rice mixture, skin side up.
- Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender and fluffy.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish the dish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.