Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 05:33 am
Bosnians love a good Bosnian Tufahija recipe, a dessert made of poached apples that are stuffed with a delectable walnut and sugar filling and then topped with whipped cream and syrup. With the exquisite blend of tastes and textures that are distinctive of Bosnian sweets, this sophisticated and decadent dessert is the ideal way to round off any dinner. This blog article will walk you through every step of making Bosnian Tufahija from scratch.
Want more ideas to round-out your Bosnian Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Apples like Granny Smith and Golden Delicious, which are big and sturdy, work nicely in this recipe since they keep their form when poaching. Start by using an apple corer or a sharp knife to remove the cores from the apples. Keep the apple whole by cutting off the stem and leaving the base. To get a silky, consistent texture in the final poached apple dish, peel the apples thoroughly. Chopped walnuts, sugar, and a splash of liquid (water or milk) are the main ingredients in the walnut filling. The consistency of this blend should be moist but not dripping wet. To further improve the filling’s flavor, you might choose to add spices like cinnamon or vanilla.
Fill the apples to the brim with the walnut mixture by spooning it into the hollows and gently pushing the filling down. As you’re making the poaching liquid, set aside the filled apples. Make a sweet and sour poaching liquid by combining water, sugar, and lemon juice in a big pot. The flavor of the drink may be improved by adding additional tastes, such vanilla or a dash of brandy. The sugar must be dissolved, so bring the liquid to a low boil. Put the filled apples gently into the poaching liquid and lower the heat until the apples are just immersed. Put a cover on the pan and simmer the apples for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are soft but not mushy. Make sure the apples cook evenly by turning them over halfway through the poaching period.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape
Remove the apples from the poaching liquor and place them on a cooling rack whenever they are done cooking. The poaching liquid should be reduced and thickened into a syrup by the time you’re done simmering it. The dessert will be topped with this syrup.
Tufahija is served by placing a poached apple on a dessert dish and dousing it with the syrup. If you really want to indulge, you may put some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top of the apple. More chopped walnuts or a dusting of cinnamon may be used as a garnish for this dish.
The Bosnian Tufahija recipe is a delicious dessert with a thick and tart syrup that coats soft poached apples packed with a lovely walnut filling. The rich flavor and beautiful appearance of this dish will leave your visitors impressed. It is a delicious homage to Bosnian culinary traditions.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions is Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Bosnia Tufahija Recipe
1. A Delicious Combination of Ingredients: The Bosnia Tufahija recipe is baked apples packed with walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and whipped cream. The ingredients come together well in both taste and texture to form a sweet and nutty treat. The walnuts lend a pleasant crunch to the baked apples, which are delicate and supple.
2. Easy to Make: The simplicity of the Bosnian Tufahija recipe is another reason why it is so well-liked. Everyone can make this tasty treat at home with just a few inexpensive materials and some standard cooking equipment. The apples are easily prepared by removing the cores, filling them with the walnut mixture, and baking them until soft. Serve the cooked apples with the whipped topping.
3. A Traditional Bosnian Dessert: The Bosnian Tufahija recipe has been passed down from generation to generation as a delicious treat. It is a traditional dessert at many celebrations, including weddings and other family gatherings. Many Bosnians see the Tufahija as more than simply a sweet; it also represents their history and national pride. If you want to have a taste of Bosnian culture, then you need to try this dish.
How To Make Our Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
8 apples (preferably Granny Smith)
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
Cinnamon powder for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Core the apples using an apple corer, making sure to leave the bottom intact.
3. In a medium-sized pot, combine the sugar, water, and vanilla extract, and bring it to a boil.
4. Add the cored apples to the pot, and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
5. Remove the apples from the pot and let them cool down.
6. Meanwhile, toast the chopped walnuts in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
7. Once the apples have cooled down, spoon some of the syrup from the pot into the core of each apple.
8. Stuff the apples with the toasted walnuts.
9. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
10. Serve each apple with a dollop of whipped cream on top, and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder.
Nutritional Information For the Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
Saturated Fat: 7g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Pots, Pans, and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Bosnia Tufahija Recipe
Electric mixer or whisk
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
The Bosnia Tufahija recipe leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It is best to keep the whipped cream separate and add it just before serving to prevent it from deflating.
Substitutions For the Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
Apples: You can use any firm apple variety, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady.
Walnuts: Pecans or almonds can be used instead of walnuts.
Heavy cream: You can substitute with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream made from cashews for a vegan version.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Bosnia Tufahija Recipe
This recipe is already vegetarian. To make it vegan, replace the heavy cream with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream made from cashews.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Toast the walnuts in advance to save time during preparation.
If the apples are not standing upright, slice off a thin layer from the bottom to create a flat surface.
Serve the Bosnian Tufahija warm or at room temperature.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
The Bosnian Tufahija is a sweet dessert on its own, but you can serve it with a cup of coffee or tea.
How To Serve the Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
To serve, place each stuffed apple on a plate or in a bowl. Add a dollop of whipped cream on top of each apple and sprinkle with cinnamon powder. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FAQs About the Bosnia Tufahija Recipe
What is the Bosnian Tufahija recipe?
Tufahija is a Bosnian dessert made of baked apples stuffed with walnuts and soaked in sweet syrup.
Can I use a different type of nut instead of walnuts?
Yes, you can substitute walnuts with pecans or almonds.
How do I make the sweet syrup for Tufahija?
The sweet syrup is made by boiling sugar, water, and vanilla extract together until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens.
Can I make the Bosnian Tufahija recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the Tufahija ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep the whipped cream separate and add it just before serving.
Can I make the Bosnia Tufahija recipe without an oven?
Yes, you can make Tufahija without an oven. Instead of baking the apples, you can simmer them in the sweet syrup until they are tender.
Having just returned from a trip to Bosnia, I can say without hesitation that my new favorite dessert is the Bosnian Tufahija. The baked apples with walnuts and sugary syrup were a real treat.
I really like the Bosnian Tufahija recipe because of how easy it was to make. The soft, juicy apple was the ideal complement to the nutty walnuts and sweet syrup. The whipped cream and cinnamon powder added a beautiful flourish to the dish’s look.
I was most taken aback by how simple it was to whip up the Bosnian Tufahija recipe in my own kitchen. I was able to wow my loved ones by making a similar dessert from scratch using just a handful of simple components. The recipe and its directions were simple and clear.
Whether you’re ever in Bosnia or just want to broaden your culinary horizons, you really must eat the local dessert, Tufahija. It’s the ideal dessert for any celebration since it’s easy to prepare yet looks and tastes fancy.
Bosnian Tufahija Recipe
- Medium-sized pot
- Baking sheet
- Apple corer
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- 8 apples preferably Granny Smith
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cinnamon powder for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Core the apples using an apple corer, making sure to leave the bottom intact.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the sugar, water, and vanilla extract, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cored apples to the pot, and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Remove the apples from the pot and let them cool down.
- Meanwhile, toast the chopped walnuts in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- Once the apples have cooled down, spoon some of the syrup from the pot into the core of each apple.
- Stuff the apples with the toasted walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Serve each apple with a dollop of whipped cream on top, and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder.