Last updated on September 24th, 2023 at 10:26 pm
5 Top Hole-in-the-Wall Pittsburgh Restaurants
These five top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants are part of a diverse array of top hole-in-the-wall restaurants that offer unique and authentic dining experiences.
From the mouthwatering Italian fare at Joe & Pie to the delightful French pastries at La Gourmandine Bakery, each of these restaurants brings a special touch to the city’s culinary scene. Chengdu Gourmet tantalizes taste buds with its spicy Sichuan dishes, while Thai Me Up offers the vibrant flavors of Thailand.
However, these five great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants are just the tip of the iceberg. Pittsburgh is teeming with hidden gems waiting to be discovered. This is why these are some of the great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Popular Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Prime Pittsburgh Hole-in-the-Wall Diners
1) Joe & Pie Cafe & Pizzeria
Joe & Pie is one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. It is a family-owned and operated establishment located in the heart of the city.
Their signature dish is the “Joe & Pie Special Pizza.” It’s a mouthwatering combination of freshly made dough, rich tomato sauce, gooey mozzarella cheese, and a delightful assortment of toppings like pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Classic Italian Sub”: A delicious sandwich filled with layers of savory Italian salami, ham, pepperoni, provolone cheese, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and tangy Italian dressing, all served on a soft, toasted Italian roll.
2. “Homemade Meat Lasagna”: A comforting and hearty dish made with layers of perfectly cooked lasagna noodles, seasoned ground beef, creamy ricotta cheese, and luscious marinara sauce, all baked to perfection and topped with melted mozzarella cheese.
3. “Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings”: Crispy and flavorful chicken wings coated in a mouthwatering blend of garlic, Parmesan cheese, and secret spices, served with a side of cool ranch dressing for dipping.
“Absolutely loved the cozy ambiance and friendly staff at Joe & Pie! The Joe & Pie Special Pizza was out of this world, and their garlic parmesan chicken wings were a hit with the whole family!”
“What a gem! This place truly lives up to the ‘hole-in-the-wall’ reputation. Had the classic Italian sub for lunch, and it was stacked with amazing flavors. Can’t wait to come back!”
“Joe & Pie’s homemade meat lasagna was like a warm hug on a plate. It reminded me of my grandma’s cooking. So delicious and comforting!”
Joe & Pie is undoubtedly one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. This family-owned eatery exudes warmth and charm, offering a cozy ambiance and friendly service. Their signature dish, the Joe & Pie Special Pizza, is a delightful blend of flavors that leaves customers craving for more. They are one of the best hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
The menu boasts an array of mouthwatering options, including the Classic Italian Sub, Homemade Meat Lasagna, and Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings, all of which showcase the love and passion put into their food. If you’re looking for a hidden gem in Pittsburgh with delicious, homemade fare, Joe & Pie is a must-visit spot for locals and tourists alike. They rank high among the best hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants for good reasons.
2) Tram’s Kitchen
Tram’s Kitchen is one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. It is a family-owned and operated Vietnamese restaurant nestled in a charming corner of the city.
Their signature dish is the “Pho Ga,” a soul-warming Vietnamese chicken noodle soup. It features a flavorful broth, tender chicken slices, rice noodles, and a garnish of fresh herbs and bean sprouts.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Banh Mi Sandwich”: A delicious Vietnamese sandwich filled with your choice of grilled pork, chicken, or tofu, topped with pickled carrots, daikon radish, cucumber, cilantro, and a drizzle of savory sauce, all served on a crusty baguette.
2. “Com Ga Xao Sa Ot”: Stir-fried lemongrass chicken served over a bed of steamed jasmine rice. The dish is bursting with aromatic lemongrass flavors and accompanied by a side of fresh cucumber slices.
3. “Goi Cuon”: Also known as Vietnamese spring rolls, these refreshing rice paper rolls are filled with shrimp, vermicelli noodles, fresh lettuce, bean sprouts, and herbs, served with a delightful peanut dipping sauce.
“Tram’s Kitchen is a hidden gem! The Pho Ga was just what I needed on a chilly day, and the Banh Mi Sandwich was bursting with flavors. Can’t wait to try more dishes!”
“Authentic Vietnamese cuisine at its best! The Com Ga Xao Sa Ot was full of tasty lemongrass goodness, and the Goi Cuon was so fresh and satisfying. Highly recommend this cozy spot!”
“Visited with my family, and we all loved it! The flavors in the dishes were spot on. The Pho Ga was a hit with the kids, and the Banh Mi Sandwich was a delightful fusion of tastes.”
Tram’s Kitchen truly stands out as one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. As a family-owned and operated Vietnamese eatery, it offers an authentic taste of Vietnam in the heart of the city. Their signature dish, the Pho Ga, is a comforting and nourishing chicken noodle soup that warms the soul. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
The menu features a variety of delightful options, including the flavorful Banh Mi Sandwich, the aromatic Com Ga Xao Sa Ot, and the refreshing Goi Cuon. With a cozy ambiance and mouthwatering dishes, Tram’s Kitchen is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking an authentic Vietnamese culinary experience. They stand out among the popular hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
3) La Gourmandine Bakery & Pastry Shop
La Gourmandine Bakery is one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. This family-owned and operated bakery is nestled in a charming area of the city, offering delightful French pastries and treats.
Their signature food is the “Croissant au Beurre,” a classic French butter croissant. It boasts a flaky and buttery texture, baked to golden perfection, making it the perfect companion for a cup of coffee or tea.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Pain au Chocolat”: A delectable French pastry also known as chocolate croissant. It features layers of buttery dough wrapped around rich, semi-sweet chocolate, baked to a delightful crispness.
2. “Quiche Lorraine”: A savory pastry filled with a delicious mix of eggs, cream, Swiss cheese, and savory bacon. It’s baked to a golden brown, creating a delightful combination of flavors.
3. “Macaron Assortment”: A colorful assortment of French macarons with a crispy exterior and a chewy interior. These delicate treats come in various flavors such as raspberry, pistachio, and salted caramel.
“La Gourmandine Bakery is a hidden gem! Their Croissant au Beurre was simply divine, and the Pain au Chocolat was a delightful treat for my sweet tooth. Can’t wait to try more pastries!”
“The Quiche Lorraine was so flavorful, and the crust was flaky and buttery. I loved the cozy atmosphere of the bakery, and the Macaron Assortment was a perfect ending to my meal.”
“Visited with my family, and we were blown away by the delicious pastries. The Croissant au Beurre melted in our mouths, and the Macaron Assortment was a colorful delight. We’ll be back for more!”
La Gourmandine Bakery is undeniably one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it brings a touch of France to the city. The bakery’s signature food, the Croissant au Beurre, is a flaky and buttery delight that transports you to a Parisian cafe. They are another of the great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
Their menu offers a delightful selection of French pastries, including the Pain au Chocolat with its rich chocolate filling and the savory Quiche Lorraine with its bacon and cheese goodness. Don’t miss the Macaron Assortment, a colorful array of chewy and crispy macarons. If you’re craving an authentic taste of French baking, La Gourmandine Bakery is the place to be. They deserve to be ranked high among the great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
4) Chengdu Gourmet (Squirrel Hill）
Chengdu Gourmet is one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. This family-owned and operated restaurant is located in the Squirrel Hill area of the city.
Their signature food is the “Chengdu Spicy Hot Pot,” a flavorful and spicy Chinese dish. It consists of a simmering pot of spicy broth with various meats, vegetables, and tofu that you can cook at your table, creating a personalized and delicious hot pot experience.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Mapo Tofu”: A classic Sichuan dish with soft tofu and minced meat, cooked in a spicy and numbing chili bean sauce. It’s a balance of bold flavors and textures that is both comforting and satisfying.
2. “Kung Pao Chicken”: A popular stir-fry dish featuring tender chicken pieces, peanuts, and vegetables, all tossed in a savory and slightly sweet sauce with a hint of spiciness.
3. “Dan Dan Noodles”: A delightful noodle dish with a savory and spicy sauce, topped with minced pork and chopped peanuts, creating a mouthwatering blend of flavors and textures.
“Chengdu Gourmet is a fantastic find! The Chengdu Spicy Hot Pot was an exciting and interactive dining experience. Loved the Mapo Tofu’s spiciness and the Kung Pao Chicken’s perfect balance of flavors.”
“This place has authentic Sichuan cuisine! The Dan Dan Noodles were so flavorful and addictive. The service was friendly, and the hot pot was a fun way to enjoy a meal with friends.”
“The flavors here are incredible! The Chengdu Spicy Hot Pot had just the right amount of spice, and the Kung Pao Chicken was my favorite. Chengdu Gourmet is a hidden gem in Pittsburgh.”
Chengdu Gourmet in Squirrel Hill is truly one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. As a family-owned and operated eatery, it offers an authentic taste of Sichuan cuisine. Their signature dish, the Chengdu Spicy Hot Pot, provides an interactive and flavorful dining experience. They are one of the leading hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
The menu features a delightful array of dishes, including the bold and spicy Mapo Tofu, the savory and satisfying Kung Pao Chicken, and the addictive Dan Dan Noodles. With friendly service and authentic flavors, Chengdu Gourmet is a must-visit destination for anyone craving delicious and genuine Sichuan cuisine. They have earned the rank of being one of the leading hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
5) Thai Me Up
Thai Me Up is one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. This family-owned and operated eatery is located in the heart of the city, offering delightful Thai cuisine.
Their signature food is the “Pad Thai,” a classic Thai noodle dish that’s both sweet and savory. It features stir-fried rice noodles with shrimp, tofu, bean sprouts, and scrambled eggs, all tossed in a tangy tamarind sauce and garnished with crushed peanuts and fresh lime.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Green Curry Chicken”: A flavorful Thai curry made with tender chicken, coconut milk, and a medley of vegetables, including bell peppers, bamboo shoots, and Thai basil, all simmered in a vibrant green curry paste.
2. “Tom Yum Soup”: A spicy and sour soup with a fragrant lemongrass broth, shrimp, mushrooms, and a burst of flavors from chili peppers, lime leaves, and galangal.
3. “Mango Sticky Rice”: A delicious Thai dessert made with ripe mango slices served over a bed of sweet sticky rice, drizzled with coconut milk, and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
“Thai Me Up is a hidden gem! The Pad Thai was simply amazing, and the Green Curry Chicken was packed with delicious spices. Can’t wait to come back for more!”
“Visited this place with friends, and we loved it! The Tom Yum Soup had the perfect balance of spice and tanginess. The Mango Sticky Rice was a delightful way to end our meal.”
“Authentic Thai flavors right here in Pittsburgh! The Pad Thai was flavorful, and the Green Curry Chicken was creamy and delicious. Thai Me Up is now one of my favorite restaurants!”
Thai Me Up is undeniably one of the top hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants. As a family-owned and operated Thai eatery in the heart of the city, it offers an authentic taste of Thailand. Their signature food, the Pad Thai, is a sweet and savory noodle dish that tantalizes the taste buds. They are one of the favorite hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
The menu boasts a variety of delightful options, such as the flavorful Green Curry Chicken and the spicy and sour Tom Yum Soup. For dessert, don’t miss the delicious Mango Sticky Rice. With its genuine flavors and cozy ambiance, Thai Me Up is a must-visit spot for anyone craving delicious and authentic Thai cuisine. They can definitely be counted among the favorite hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
So, whether you’re craving more international flavors, comfort food classics, or fusion delights, there are plenty more great hole-in-the-wall Pittsburgh restaurants for you to explore and savor. Don’t hesitate to venture off the beaten path and discover the many culinary treasures that this city has to offer.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape