Last updated on September 25th, 2023 at 04:25 am
5 Popular Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in Pittsburgh
These five popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh are home to a variety of hole-in-the-wall restaurants that offer unique and delightful dining experiences. We have explored five of these hidden gems, each with its own charm and mouthwatering specialties.
Primanti Brothers, a family-owned establishment in the Strip District, captures the heart of Pittsburgh with their famous “Almost Famous” sandwich. The perfect combination of meat, coleslaw, and French fries on Italian bread will leave you craving more.
Pamela’s Diner in Shadyside brings comfort food to a whole new level with their signature dish, Pamela’s Crepe Hotcakes. These fluffy and indulgent pancakes topped with butter and maple syrup will make your breakfast dreams come true.
At Gaucho Parrilla Argentina in the Strip District, you can savor the flavors of Argentina. Their Choripán, a grilled chorizo sausage sandwich with chimichurri sauce, takes you on a culinary journey to the streets of Buenos Aires.
Thai Gourmet, located in the heart of Pittsburgh, transports you to Thailand with their authentic Pad Thai. The perfect blend of rice noodles, protein, and tangy tamarind sauce will leave your taste buds dancing.
DeLuca’s Diner, a family-owned diner with nostalgic vibes, offers classic American comfort food. Their Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is a local favorite that brings together tender beef, melted cheese, and sautéed onions on a toasted hoagie roll.
Now you know why these are some of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh and this list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Top 5 Budget-friendly Restaurants in Philadelphia
1: Primanti Brothers
Primanti Brothers is one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh that has been delighting locals and visitors alike since 1933. Located in the Strip District, it is a family-owned and operated establishment known for its unique culinary offerings and laid-back atmosphere. Primanti Brothers has become an iconic symbol of Pittsburgh’s rich food culture, serving up hearty sandwiches that have gained nationwide recognition.
The signature food at Primanti Brothers is their famous “Almost Famous” sandwich. This towering masterpiece consists of a thick layer of grilled meat, be it pastrami, corned beef, roast beef, or turkey, topped with tangy coleslaw, crispy French fries, and juicy tomato slices. What sets this sandwich apart is the addition of fresh, soft Italian bread, which is the foundation that holds this delectable combination together. This innovative twist on the classic sandwich has become synonymous with Primanti Brothers and has garnered a loyal following over the years.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Pittsburgher”: This iconic sandwich pays homage to the city itself. A generous portion of grilled beef patty is topped with melted provolone cheese, hand-cut French fries, and zesty coleslaw, all sandwiched between two slices of fresh Italian bread. The Pittsburgher is a must-try for those seeking an authentic Primanti Brothers experience.
2. “Capicola & Cheese”: For lovers of Italian flavors, this sandwich is a true delight. Thinly sliced capicola, a traditional Italian cold cut, is layered with melted cheese and served with fresh Italian bread. The combination of the flavorful capicola and the soft bread creates a satisfying harmony of tastes and textures.
3. “Grilled Chicken & Cheese”: This sandwich offers a delicious alternative for those seeking a lighter option. Grilled chicken breast, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection, is topped with melted cheese and served with fresh Italian bread. The simplicity of this sandwich allows the quality and flavor of the chicken to shine through.
“Primanti Brothers is a Pittsburgh institution that never disappoints. The ‘Almost Famous’ sandwich is a culinary masterpiece, and the atmosphere is nostalgic and inviting.”
“I’ve been coming to Primanti Brothers for years, and it’s always my go-to spot for a satisfying meal. The ‘Pittsburgher’ sandwich is a true classic, and the friendly staff make you feel like part of the family.”
“I brought my out-of-town friends to Primanti Brothers, and they couldn’t stop raving about the unique sandwiches. The ‘Capicola & Cheese’ was a hit, and the service was top-notch.”
Primanti Brothers is one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh, located in the Strip District. With its rich history dating back to 1933, this family-owned and operated establishment has become a beloved symbol of Pittsburgh’s culinary scene. The star of the menu is their “Almost Famous” sandwich, featuring grilled meat, coleslaw, French fries, and tomato slices, all packed between soft Italian bread. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. With its friendly atmosphere, delectable sandwiches, and a loyal following, Primanti Brothers continues to be a must-visit destination for locals and tourists alike, solidifying its status as one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. They rank high among the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh for good reasons.
2: Pamela’s Diner
Pamela’s Diner is a hidden gem among popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. This charming diner is known for its cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and delectable comfort food. Located in the Shadyside neighborhood, Pamela’s Diner has been a beloved institution since it first opened its doors in 1980. What sets this restaurant apart is its commitment to serving hearty breakfast and lunch options that have garnered a loyal following over the years. Pamela’s Diner is a family-owned and operated establishment, adding a personal touch to the dining experience.
The signature food at Pamela’s Diner is their famous “Pamela’s Crepe Hotcakes.” These delectable pancakes are a true culinary delight, featuring a thin and fluffy texture that melts in your mouth. The crepe-like hotcakes are made from a secret family recipe and are served with a generous dollop of whipped butter and warm maple syrup. The combination of the delicate crepes and the rich, sweet toppings creates a heavenly breakfast experience that keeps customers coming back for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Lyonnaise Omelette”: This savory omelette is a breakfast staple at Pamela’s Diner. Filled with caramelized onions, diced ham, and melted Swiss cheese, it offers a harmonious blend of flavors. Served with a side of crispy hash browns and toast, this dish is a satisfying way to start your day.
2. “Steelers Pancakes”: Paying tribute to Pittsburgh’s beloved football team, these pancakes are a fan-favorite. The fluffy pancakes are adorned with chocolate chips and topped with whipped cream, creating a delightful combination of sweet and indulgent flavors. It’s the perfect choice for those with a sweet tooth.
3. “Roast Beef & Swiss Melt”: For a hearty lunch option, the Roast Beef & Swiss Melt is a must-try. Tender slices of roast beef are layered with melted Swiss cheese and grilled onions, all packed between two slices of toasted rye bread. Served with a side of fries or coleslaw, this sandwich is a satisfying choice for a midday meal.
“Pamela’s Diner is the epitome of a cozy neighborhood spot. The Pamela’s Crepe Hotcakes are simply divine, and the friendly staff make you feel like family.”
“I’ve been coming to Pamela’s Diner for years, and the quality and consistency of their food never disappoint. The Lyonnaise Omelette is my go-to, and I always leave with a smile on my face.”
“The Steelers Pancakes at Pamela’s Diner are a must-try for any football fan. The combination of chocolate chips and whipped cream is a touchdown of flavors!”
Pamela’s Diner stands out among popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh, located in the Shadyside neighborhood. This family-owned and operated establishment has been serving delicious breakfast and lunch options since 1980, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere for its customers. The signature dish, Pamela’s Crepe Hotcakes, is a true culinary delight, showcasing the diner’s commitment to quality and flavor. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. With a menu featuring favorites like the Lyonnaise Omelette and Steelers Pancakes, Pamela’s Diner offers a range of options to satisfy every palate. A visit to Pamela’s Diner is an experience that captures the essence of a popular hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Pittsburgh, delivering comfort food with a personal touch. They stand out among the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh.
3: Gaucho Parrilla Argentina
Gaucho Parrilla Argentina is a hidden gem among popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. This intimate eatery captures the spirit of Argentina, offering a unique dining experience that transports patrons to the streets of Buenos Aires. Specializing in authentic Argentine cuisine, Gaucho Parrilla Argentina has been in business since 2012, captivating locals with its flavors and culinary traditions. Located in the Strip District, this family-owned and operated restaurant brings a taste of Argentina to the heart of Pittsburgh.
The signature food at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina is their mouthwatering “Choripán.” This iconic Argentine dish combines a grilled chorizo sausage, perfectly seasoned and bursting with flavors, with a crusty baguette. The chorizo is made in-house, using a blend of spices and premium meats, and is cooked to perfection on the grill. The sandwich is then topped with chimichurri sauce, a traditional Argentine condiment made from parsley, garlic, and vinegar, adding a tangy and herbaceous kick. The Choripán at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina is a true delight, showcasing the restaurant’s commitment to authenticity and quality.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Bife de Chorizo”: This classic Argentine steak is a must-try for meat lovers. A tender and juicy boneless strip steak is cooked to your desired level of doneness and served with a side of chimichurri sauce. The flavors of the perfectly grilled steak and the vibrant chimichurri create a mouthwatering combination that will transport you to Argentina.
2. “Empanadas”: These savory turnovers are a staple in Argentine cuisine. Gaucho Parrilla Argentina offers a variety of fillings, including beef, chicken, spinach, and cheese. The empanadas feature a flaky pastry crust and are filled with flavorful ingredients, providing a satisfying bite-sized treat bursting with authentic Argentine flavors.
3. “Provoleta”: This traditional Argentine appetizer is a cheese lover’s dream. A thick slice of provolone cheese is grilled until it reaches a gooey, golden perfection. Served with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled with oregano, the Provoleta is a rich and indulgent dish that pairs perfectly with a glass of wine.
“Gaucho Parrilla Argentina is a culinary gem in Pittsburgh. The Choripán is simply outstanding, and the authenticity of the flavors takes me back to my time in Argentina.”
“I can’t get enough of the Bife de Chorizo at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina. The steak is cooked to perfection, and the chimichurri adds a burst of flavor. It’s a carnivore’s paradise!”
“The empanadas at Gaucho Parrilla Argentina are the real deal. The pastry is flaky, and the fillings are delicious. It’s the perfect snack to satisfy your cravings.”
Gaucho Parrilla Argentina stands out as one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh, located in the Strip District. This family-owned and operated establishment has been serving authentic Argentine cuisine since 2012, creating an immersive dining experience for its patrons. They are another of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. The signature dish, Choripán, showcases the restaurant’s dedication to capturing the essence of Argentine flavors. With menu items like Bife de Chorizo, Empanadas, and Provoleta, Gaucho Parrilla Argentina brings the taste of Argentina to Pittsburgh, offering a memorable culinary journey. A visit to Gaucho Parrilla Argentina is a testament to the prime hole-in-the-wall dining experience in Pittsburgh, where flavors and traditions come together in perfect harmony. They deserve to be ranked high among the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh.
4: Thai Gourmet
Thai Gourmet is a hidden gem among popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. This cozy establishment brings the vibrant flavors of Thailand to the city, offering an authentic and unforgettable dining experience. Located in the heart of Pittsburgh, Thai Gourmet has been in business for over 15 years, serving delicious and traditional Thai cuisine. As a family-owned and operated restaurant, Thai Gourmet prides itself on providing warm hospitality and exceptional quality to its patrons.
The signature food at Thai Gourmet is their renowned “Pad Thai.” This classic Thai dish is a harmonious blend of stir-fried rice noodles, tofu, shrimp or chicken, bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, and a tangy tamarind sauce. The flavors are perfectly balanced, with hints of sweetness, sourness, and nuttiness. The Pad Thai at Thai Gourmet is expertly prepared, capturing the essence of authentic Thai street food and delivering a burst of flavors in every bite.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Green Curry”: This aromatic curry is a favorite among Thai cuisine enthusiasts. Thai Gourmet’s Green Curry features a luscious blend of coconut milk, green curry paste, bamboo shoots, bell peppers, and your choice of chicken, beef, or tofu. Served with fragrant jasmine rice, this curry offers a delightful combination of creaminess and spiciness that will transport your taste buds to the streets of Thailand.
2. “Tom Yum Soup”: A staple in Thai cuisine, Tom Yum Soup is known for its bold and invigorating flavors. Thai Gourmet’s version of this iconic soup features a fragrant and tangy broth infused with lemongrass, lime juice, chili, and a combination of shrimp, mushrooms, and herbs. The Tom Yum Soup is a perfect choice for those seeking a zesty and comforting appetizer.
3. “Mango Sticky Rice”: To end your meal on a sweet note, indulge in Thai Gourmet’s Mango Sticky Rice. This traditional Thai dessert combines fragrant steamed sticky rice with ripe mango slices and a drizzle of sweet coconut sauce. The combination of textures and flavors creates a delightful harmony, making this dessert a must-try.
“Thai Gourmet is an absolute gem in Pittsburgh. Their Pad Thai is hands down the best I’ve ever had. The flavors are authentic, and the service is always friendly and welcoming.”
“I’ve been a regular at Thai Gourmet for years, and their Green Curry never disappoints. It’s perfectly spiced and full of fresh ingredients. This place truly captures the essence of Thai cuisine.”
“The Tom Yum Soup at Thai Gourmet is a flavor explosion. The balance of tanginess and spiciness is spot-on, and it’s the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly day.”
Thai Gourmet stands out as one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh, offering an authentic Thai dining experience in the heart of the city. With over 15 years of operation, this family-owned and operated establishment has mastered the art of serving delicious and traditional Thai cuisine. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. The signature dish, Pad Thai, is a standout with its well-balanced flavors and authentic preparation. From the aromatic Green Curry to the invigorating Tom Yum Soup and the delightful Mango Sticky Rice, Thai Gourmet presents a menu that captures the essence of Thai flavors. With rave customer reviews and a commitment to quality, Thai Gourmet solidifies its place as a popular hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Pittsburgh, bringing a taste of Thailand to the local community. They have earned the rank of being one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh.
5: DeLuca’s Diner
DeLuca’s Diner is a hidden gem among popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. This charming diner has been a beloved fixture in the city since it first opened its doors in 1950. Located in the heart of Pittsburgh, DeLuca’s Diner is a family-owned and operated establishment, known for its welcoming atmosphere and classic American comfort food. It has become a cherished local landmark, serving generations of loyal patrons who appreciate its nostalgic ambiance and delicious home-cooked meals.
The signature food at DeLuca’s Diner is their famous “Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.” This iconic creation features thinly sliced beefsteak cooked to perfection, topped with melted cheese, sautéed onions, and served on a fresh, toasted hoagie roll. The flavors blend harmoniously, creating a mouthwatering combination of tender meat, gooey cheese, and savory onions. The Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich at DeLuca’s Diner has become a local favorite, representing the epitome of classic American comfort food.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Biscuits and Gravy”: This hearty breakfast option is a popular choice among DeLuca’s Diner patrons. Fluffy, homemade biscuits are smothered in rich and creamy sausage gravy, creating a comforting and satisfying morning meal that will keep you fueled throughout the day.
2. “Chicken Fried Steak”: For those craving a southern-style classic, the Chicken Fried Steak is a must-try. Tenderized beef steak is breaded and fried to a golden perfection, then smothered in creamy country-style gravy. Served with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables, this dish offers a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
3. “Homestyle Meatloaf”: DeLuca’s Diner takes comfort food to another level with their Homestyle Meatloaf. Made from a secret family recipe, this dish features a generous portion of moist and flavorful meatloaf served with creamy mashed potatoes, gravy, and a side of seasonal vegetables. It’s a comforting and satisfying option that will make you feel right at home.
“DeLuca’s Diner is a Pittsburgh institution and a prime hole-in-the-wall gem. Their Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is unparalleled, and the nostalgic atmosphere adds to the overall dining experience.”
“I’ve been coming to DeLuca’s Diner since I was a child, and the Biscuits and Gravy always hit the spot. It’s the perfect way to start my day with a delicious and comforting breakfast.”
“The Chicken Fried Steak at DeLuca’s Diner is a true indulgence. It’s crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the country-style gravy takes it to another level. A must-try for comfort food lovers!”
DeLuca’s Diner stands out as one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh, serving classic American comfort food since 1950. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it has become a beloved local icon, offering a warm and welcoming atmosphere reminiscent of a bygone era. The signature Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich exemplifies the diner’s commitment to delicious and satisfying meals. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh. With menu items like Biscuits and Gravy, Chicken Fried Steak, and Homestyle Meatloaf, DeLuca’s Diner embodies the essence of comfort food in a prime hole-in-the-wall setting. A visit to DeLuca’s Diner is a nostalgic journey that captures the essence of Pittsburgh’s rich culinary heritage. They can definitely be counted among the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh.
While these five restaurants showcase the diversity and quality of Pittsburgh’s popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants, it’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list. Pittsburgh is teeming with many more hidden culinary treasures waiting to be explored. This is why these are some of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh waiting for you to discover them.
So, whether you’re in the mood for a hearty sandwich, indulgent pancakes, sizzling Argentine delights, flavorful Thai cuisine, or comforting American classics, there are many popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Pittsburgh to satisfy your cravings. Venture out and explore the city’s culinary landscape to uncover even more delectable surprises.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape