Last updated on October 6th, 2023 at 03:03 am
5 St. Louis Best Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
We’ve explored five of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants, each with its unique charm and culinary delights. St. Louis boasts a vibrant culinary scene that extends far beyond the mainstream. From the authentic Korean cuisine at Sides of Seoul to the comforting Southern fare at The Get Down, the mouthwatering Caribbean dishes at Caribbean Delight, and the enigmatic ambiance and cuisine at The Haunt, these eateries offer an unforgettable experience that captures the essence of hidden gems.
These St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants share a common thread – they are all family-owned and operated, infusing their dishes with a personal touch and a commitment to tradition. Whether you’re craving the bold flavors of Korea, the soulful tastes of the American South, the exotic dishes of the Caribbean, or the mysterious allure of The Haunt, these dining destinations offer a glimpse into the rich tapestry of St. Louis’s culinary diversity.
However, it’s essential to remember that this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The city is brimming with hidden culinary treasures waiting to be discovered. Each neighborhood holds its culinary secrets, from tiny bistros to unassuming storefronts that house culinary wonders. Whether you’re a seasoned local or a curious visitor, exploring these hidden gems is an adventure worth embarking upon. This is why these are some of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Best-Kept-Secret Restaurants in St. Louis
1) Sides of Seoul
Address: 10084 Page Ave.
Sides of Seoul is undoubtedly one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants, a hidden gem popular by locals and adventurous foodies alike. This unassuming eatery, tucked away in a quiet corner of the city, offers an authentic taste of Korean cuisine that has won the hearts of its patrons for years. What sets Sides of Seoul apart is not only its delicious food but also the fact that it’s a family-owned and operated establishment. This personal touch is reflected in every dish and creates a warm, welcoming atmosphere that keeps diners coming back for more.
One of Sides of Seoul’s most popular dishes is the “Bulgogi Beef Bibimbap.” This Korean classic features thinly sliced marinated beef cooked to perfection, served on a bed of rice, and topped with an array of fresh vegetables and a perfectly fried egg. The harmonious blend of flavors and textures, along with the savory bulgogi sauce, makes this dish a must-try for first-time visitors.
Main Menu Items:
1. Kimchi Jjigae: This hearty and spicy stew is a staple in Korean cuisine. Sides of Seoul’s Kimchi Jjigae is a flavorful concoction of fermented kimchi, tender pork, tofu, and a rich broth. It’s a comforting dish that warms both the body and soul, perfect for those seeking a taste of Korea’s culinary tradition.
2. Dolsot Bibimbap: Served in a sizzling stone bowl, the Dolsot Bibimbap at Sides of Seoul is a delightful medley of rice, assorted vegetables, and your choice of protein, all topped with a tantalizing spicy gochujang sauce. The sizzle from the hot stone bowl crisps the rice to perfection, creating a delightful contrast of textures.
3. Korean Fried Chicken: Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and bursting with flavor, the Korean Fried Chicken at Sides of Seoul is a crowd-pleaser. Whether you prefer it sweet and sticky or spicy and tangy, they have a variety of sauces to choose from. It’s a finger-licking experience that pairs perfectly with an ice-cold beer.
“Sides of Seoul is a hidden treasure! The Kimchi Jjigae is like a warm hug on a cold day. The family that runs this place is so friendly and welcoming. I keep coming back for the authentic flavors and cozy ambiance.”
“I can’t get enough of their Bulgogi Beef Bibimbap. It’s my go-to comfort food. The Dolsot Bibimbap is also a winner; that crispy rice at the bottom is pure magic!”
“The Korean Fried Chicken here is out of this world! Crispy, juicy, and packed with flavor. It’s the best I’ve had outside of Korea. This place truly deserves its reputation as one of St. Louis’s best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
Sides of Seoul is undeniably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This family-owned gem serves up authentic Korean cuisine that keeps patrons coming back for more. From the flavorful Bulgogi Beef Bibimbap to the sizzling Dolsot Bibimbap and mouthwatering Korean Fried Chicken, Sides of Seoul offers a delightful taste of Korea right in the heart of St. Louis.
They are one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. With its warm hospitality and delicious dishes, it’s no wonder this restaurant has earned a special place in the hearts of its customers. They rank high among the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants for good reasons.
2) The Get Down
Address: 1449 S Vandeventer Ave
Nestled discreetly in the heart of St. Louis, The Get Down is unquestionably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This cozy establishment is a well-kept secret, known for its intimate atmosphere and a commitment to serving mouthwatering dishes that have been perfected over generations. What truly sets The Get Down apart is the fact that it’s a popular family-owned and operated restaurant, where the love for food and tradition shines through in every bite.
The Get Down’s signature dish, “Southern Fried Catfish,” is a true testament to their culinary expertise. This dish features tender catfish fillets, delicately coated in a perfectly seasoned cornmeal breading, and fried to golden perfection. Served alongside traditional sides like creamy coleslaw and hushpuppies, it’s a soulful dish that captures the essence of Southern comfort food.
Main Menu Items:
1. Smoked Pork Ribs: The Get Down’s smoked pork ribs are a carnivore’s dream come true. Slow-smoked to perfection, these ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender and slathered in a mouthwatering barbecue sauce. Served with a side of macaroni and cheese and collard greens, it’s a hearty feast that leaves diners craving more.
2. Shrimp and Grits: This Southern classic gets a gourmet twist at The Get Down. Plump, succulent shrimp are nestled atop a bed of creamy, buttery grits and drizzled with a rich and flavorful Creole sauce. The combination of textures and flavors in this dish is a true culinary masterpiece.
3. Fried Chicken and Waffles: The Get Down’s take on Fried Chicken and Waffles is a delightful fusion of sweet and savory. Crispy fried chicken is paired with fluffy, golden waffles and served with a side of maple syrup for the perfect balance of flavors. It’s a dish that embodies comfort and indulgence in every bite.
“The Get Down is a hidden treasure in St. Louis. Their Southern Fried Catfish is out of this world! You can taste the love and tradition in every bite. It’s truly one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in town.”
“I can’t get enough of their Smoked Pork Ribs. The meat practically falls off the bone, and the barbecue sauce is addictive. Plus, the cozy family-owned atmosphere makes it feel like you’re dining at a friend’s house.”
“The Shrimp and Grits here are unlike any I’ve ever had. The flavors are so rich and satisfying. And their Fried Chicken and Waffles? It’s the ultimate comfort food indulgence. The Get Down is a real gem!”
The Get Down is unquestionably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This family-owned gem serves up soulful Southern cuisine that embodies tradition and culinary excellence. Whether you’re savoring their signature Southern Fried Catfish or indulging in the Smoked Pork Ribs, every dish at The Get Down is a flavorful journey.
They are absolutely one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The intimate atmosphere and warm hospitality make it a must-visit for anyone seeking an authentic taste of the South in the heart of St. Louis. They stand out among the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
3) The Hideaway
Address: 5900 Arsenal St.
Tucked away discreetly in the heart of St. Louis, The Hideaway stands as one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This charming establishment is a well-kept secret among locals, popular for its cozy and intimate atmosphere. The Hideaway takes pride in being a family-owned and operated restaurant, where generations have contributed to creating a unique dining experience that combines warmth, tradition, and exceptional cuisine.
The Hideaway’s signature dish, the “St. Louis-style Toasted Ravioli,” is a local legend. These bite-sized ravioli are hand-crafted, filled with savory meat or cheese, then breaded and deep-fried to a golden crisp. Served with a zesty marinara sauce for dipping, this appetizer captures the essence of St. Louis cuisine and keeps patrons coming back for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf: The Hideaway’s Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf is a comforting classic with a twist. A generous slice of savory meatloaf is enveloped in smoky bacon, then oven-baked to perfection. Served with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, it’s a hearty and satisfying dish that embodies home-cooked goodness.
2. Chicken Marsala: The Chicken Marsala at The Hideaway is a culinary delight. Tender chicken breasts are pan-seared to golden perfection and smothered in a rich Marsala wine sauce with mushrooms. Served with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach, it’s a dish that elevates comfort food to an elegant dining experience.
3. Pulled Pork Sandwich: For those craving a taste of barbecue bliss, The Hideaway’s Pulled Pork Sandwich delivers. Slow-cooked to perfection, the tender pulled pork is piled high on a toasted bun and topped with coleslaw for a perfect balance of flavors and textures. Served with a side of crispy French fries, it’s a BBQ lover’s dream.
“The Hideaway is a true gem in St. Louis! Their Toasted Ravioli is the best I’ve ever had, and I’ve tried many. The cozy ambiance and friendly service make it my go-to spot for a comforting meal.”
“I can’t resist their Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf! It’s like a warm hug on a plate. The family touch at The Hideaway really shines through, making it one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
“The Chicken Marsala here is simply divine. It’s evident that they put love and care into every dish. And don’t get me started on their Pulled Pork Sandwich – it’s BBQ perfection! The Hideaway is a hidden treasure in St. Louis.”
The Hideaway is unquestionably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. As a popular family-owned establishment, it offers an intimate dining experience where tradition and exceptional cuisine come together. Whether you’re indulging in their signature St. Louis-style Toasted Ravioli or savoring the Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf, each dish at The Hideaway is a testament to their commitment to quality and flavor.
They are another of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. With a cozy ambiance and friendly service, this hidden gem is a must-visit for those seeking an authentic taste of St. Louis in a warm and inviting setting. They deserve to be ranked high among the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
4) Caribbean Delight
Address: 3526 Gravois Ave.
Nestled discreetly in the heart of St. Louis, Caribbean Delight proudly stands as one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This unassuming gem is a true treasure for those seeking authentic Caribbean cuisine in a cozy and welcoming setting. What makes Caribbean Delight truly special is its status as a family-owned and operated restaurant, where a passion for food and tradition is woven into every dish.
Caribbean Delight’s signature dish, “Jerk Chicken,” is a testament to their culinary prowess. This iconic Caribbean favorite features tender chicken marinated in a flavorful blend of herbs and spices, including scotch bonnet peppers for that distinctive kick. Grilled to perfection, it’s served with traditional sides like rice and peas, fried plantains, and a refreshing coleslaw, creating a harmonious symphony of flavors and textures.
Main Menu Items:
1. Curry Goat: For a taste of Caribbean comfort, the Curry Goat at Caribbean Delight is a must-try. Succulent pieces of goat meat are slow-cooked in a fragrant curry sauce until tender and bursting with flavor. Served with rice and beans and steamed vegetables, this dish embodies the rich and vibrant flavors of the Caribbean.
2. Ackee and Saltfish: Ackee, a unique and buttery fruit, is sautéed with flaked saltfish to create a dish that’s a staple of Caribbean cuisine. Served with traditional side dishes such as dumplings, boiled green bananas, and fried plantains, it’s a flavorful and satisfying option for those looking to explore authentic Caribbean flavors.
3. Roti: Caribbean Delight’s Roti is a savory, handheld delight. A soft, flaky flatbread is filled with your choice of curried chicken, goat, or vegetables, creating a convenient and delicious meal. It’s the perfect option for those on the go who still want to savor the exquisite tastes of the Caribbean.
“Caribbean Delight is a true hidden gem! Their Jerk Chicken is absolutely phenomenal, with just the right amount of heat. The family atmosphere adds to the authenticity of the experience. It’s one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis!”
“I can’t get enough of their Curry Goat. It’s tender and full of flavor. The Ackee and Saltfish is a taste of the Caribbean I never thought I’d find in St. Louis. Caribbean Delight is a treasure!”
“The Roti here is fantastic – the perfect combination of flaky and flavorful. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this place. Caribbean Delight is indeed one of the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants in St. Louis, and I’ll keep coming back for more.”
Caribbean Delight is unquestionably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. As a popular family-owned establishment, it offers a warm and inviting atmosphere where the flavors of the Caribbean shine through in every dish. Whether you’re indulging in their signature Jerk Chicken or exploring the Curry Goat or Ackee and Saltfish, each meal at Caribbean Delight is a flavorful journey.
They are obviously one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This hidden treasure is a must-visit for those seeking an authentic taste of the Caribbean in the heart of St. Louis. They have earned the rank of being one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
5) The Haunt
Address: 5000 Alaska
Nestled discreetly in the heart of St. Louis, The Haunt proudly holds its place as one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This mysterious establishment exudes an atmosphere unlike any other, drawing patrons into a world of culinary delights shrouded in secrecy. What makes The Haunt truly special is its status as a popular family-owned and operated restaurant, where a passion for food and tradition runs deep.
The Haunt’s signature dish, “Ghoulash,” is a hauntingly delicious creation that lingers on the palate long after the meal is over. This comforting bowl of Hungarian-style beef stew is a dark and rich concoction, featuring tender pieces of beef, paprika, onions, and a touch of sour cream. Served with buttery egg noodles, it’s a dish that captures the essence of both warmth and mystery.
Main Menu Items:
1. Vampire Bites: Sink your teeth into The Haunt’s Vampire Bites. These delectable appetizers feature savory meatballs, wrapped in crispy bacon, and drizzled with a blood-red raspberry glaze. They’re a perfect blend of savory and sweet, making them an irresistible start to your haunting dining experience.
2. Witch’s Brew Stew: The Witch’s Brew Stew at The Haunt is a bewitching concoction. This hearty soup combines tender chunks of chicken, vegetables, and fragrant herbs in a flavorful broth. Served with a side of crusty garlic bread, it’s a comforting and soul-soothing choice for those seeking nourishment.
3. Haunted Mansion Burger: For the brave souls, The Haunt offers the Haunted Mansion Burger. This towering creation features a juicy beef patty, topped with ghost pepper cheese, jalapeños, and a sinister habanero aioli. Served with a side of spooky black bean fries, it’s a burger that’s not for the faint of heart.
“The Haunt is a one-of-a-kind dining experience! The Ghoulash is hauntingly delicious, and I can’t get enough of their Vampire Bites – they’re sinfully good. The family touch adds to the charm of this best hole-in-the-wall restaurant in St. Louis.”
“The Witch’s Brew Stew is perfect for a chilly evening. It’s hearty and soul-warming. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try the Haunted Mansion Burger – it’s got a fiery kick that will wake the dead! The Haunt truly lives up to its name.”
“I love the unique atmosphere at The Haunt, and their food is equally exceptional. The Ghoulash is my go-to comfort food, and the Vampire Bites are a delightful surprise. It’s clear why The Haunt is considered one of St. Louis’s best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
The Haunt is unquestionably one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering an unforgettable dining experience shrouded in mystery and flavor. As a family-owned establishment, it combines an eerie ambiance with a passion for culinary tradition. Whether you’re savoring their signature Ghoulash, indulging in Vampire Bites, or daring to try the Haunted Mansion Burger, each dish at The Haunt is a thrilling adventure for the taste buds.
They are considered one of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. With its unique atmosphere and exceptional food, this hidden gem is a must-visit for those seeking a dining experience like no other in the heart of St. Louis. They deserve to be ranked among the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
So, while we’ve unveiled a taste of what St. Louis has to offer, there are countless more gastronomic journeys waiting to be undertaken. The next time you find yourself in the Gateway City, be sure to venture off the beaten path, ask the locals for their recommendations, and explore the diverse and delicious world of St. Louis best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. You never know what hidden delights you might uncover, enriching your palate and your culinary experiences in this vibrant and food-loving city.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape