Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 04:12 am
Recently I tried making a delicious Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe. My name is Sam, and I’m a cook who loves trying new dishes from different cultures. I am so excited to share my experience with you! Leche Poleada is a popular dessert in El Salvador. It is a creamy, smooth, and sweet treat made from milk and cornstarch. The texture is similar to a pudding, and it’s served chilled. What’s great about this dessert is that it is simple to make and only uses a few ingredients. Even if you’re not an experienced cook, you can make this yummy dessert easily!
Want more ideas to round-out your El Salvador Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
I have to admit, before I tried making this Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe, I had never heard of it. But I am always eager to learn about new recipes, especially when they come from other countries. I found this dessert to be a delightful surprise, and I can’t wait to make it again for my friends and family. When I made Leche Poleada for the first time, I was amazed at how quickly it came together. The cooking process was simple, and it didn’t take long for the dessert to set in the fridge. Once it was ready to serve, I added a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, which added a nice touch of warmth and flavor.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
One of the things I liked most about this Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe is how versatile it can be. You can enjoy it just as it is, or you can add your favorite toppings, like fruit or whipped cream. It’s a fantastic way to end a meal or serve as a tasty snack. Not only is Leche Poleada a tasty treat, but it’s also a great way to learn about Salvadoran culture. Food is an essential part of any culture, and by making and sharing this dessert, we can all enjoy a small taste of El Salvador. I find it so exciting to explore the world through food and to discover new flavors and recipes.
If you’re looking for a new dessert to try, I highly recommend giving Leche Poleada a go. It’s a simple, delicious treat that’s sure to become a favorite in your home. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings and make this dish your own. I hope you enjoy making and eating this scrumptious Salvadoran dessert as much as I did! Happy cooking!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
1. Easy to Make: One reason people love the Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe is that it is very easy to make. This dessert has only a few ingredients, and the cooking process is simple. Even if you’re not an experienced cook, you can make this tasty treat without much trouble. It’s a great option when you want a delicious dessert but don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. The fact that it’s so easy to make encourages more people to try making it, and they often find themselves enjoying the process as well as the final result.
2. Unique Flavor and Texture: Another reason people love the Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe is because of its unique flavor and texture. The dessert is creamy, smooth, and sweet, with a texture similar to pudding. It’s made from milk and cornstarch, giving it a different taste than many other desserts. The smooth texture feels nice in your mouth, and the mild sweetness is satisfying without being overpowering. The combination of flavors and textures makes Leche Poleada stand out from other desserts, making it a special treat that people enjoy trying and sharing with others.
3. Customizable Toppings: The third reason people love making this Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe is that it’s easy to customize with your favorite toppings. While the dessert is delicious on its own, you can also add various toppings to make it even more enjoyable. Some people like to sprinkle cinnamon on top, which adds warmth and a bit of spice. Others might choose to add fruit, such as berries or sliced bananas, for a fresh and fruity twist. You can even add a dollop of whipped cream for extra indulgence. The possibilities for toppings are nearly endless, allowing you to make this dessert your own and cater it to your specific taste preferences.
How To Make Our Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
4 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp. cornstarch
Ground cinnamon (for garnish)
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cinnamon stick over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch until smooth.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk and gradually pour the egg mixture into the saucepan while continuously whisking.
4. Cook the mixture over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until it thickens, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture into a serving dish and let it cool to room temperature.
7. Once cooled, sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information For the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Saturated Fat: 3g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Storage container with a lid
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Substitutions For the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Whole milk can be substituted with almond milk or soy milk for a dairy-free version.
Cornstarch can be replaced with flour or arrowroot powder.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
The recipe is already vegetarian-friendly.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar mixture until it is smooth to avoid lumps in the final dish.
When pouring the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk, do it gradually while continuously whisking to avoid curdling the eggs.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Fresh fruit, such as sliced strawberries or mangoes, can be served alongside the Leche Poleada.
A side of toasted bread or biscuits can complement the creamy texture of the dish.
How To Serve the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top of the leche poleada.
Serve chilled from the refrigerator in a serving dish.
FAQ About the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
What is the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe?
The Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe is a traditional Salvadoran dessert made with milk, sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch. It has a thick and creamy texture and is usually topped with ground cinnamon.
Is the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe difficult to make?
No, the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe is relatively easy to make with simple ingredients and straightforward instructions.
Can the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Is the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe gluten-free?
Yes, the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe is gluten-free as it does not contain any wheat or gluten-containing ingredients.
What occasions is the Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe typically served for?
The Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe is a popular dessert for holidays and special occasions in El Salvador, such as Christmas and Easter. It can also be served as a sweet treat after a meal or as a snack.
In conclusion, I am so happy that I recently tried making this Salvadoran Leche Poleada recipe. As a cook, I find it important to explore new recipes, and this dessert was a delightful discovery. The simple, easy-to-make recipe and the unique flavor and texture make this dessert a true winner.
I enjoyed being able to customize Leche Poleada with my favorite toppings, which made it even more fun to prepare and share with others. It was such a hit in my home that I know I’ll be making it again soon. My friends and family loved it, and I’m sure they will request it again in the future.
Salvadoran Leche Poleada Recipe
- Medium saucepan
- serving dish
- Storage container with a lid
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cinnamon stick over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk and gradually pour the egg mixture into the saucepan while continuously whisking.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until it thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into a serving dish and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top and refrigerate until ready to serve.