5 Top Portland Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
We’ve had the pleasure of delving into the vibrant culinary scene of this city and uncovering five of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants that truly stand out in this gastronomic haven. Each of these establishments, Lottie and Zulas, Basilisk, Pambiche, Master Kong, and Black Water, offers a unique and authentic dining experience that is a testament to the diverse flavors and cultures that thrive in this city.
From the mouthwatering Chicken and Waffles at Lottie and Zulas to the fiery Szechuan Dry-Fried Chicken at Master Kong, from the vegan delights at Black Water to the Cuban classics at Pambiche, and not forgetting the unforgettable Spicy Beef Noodle Soup at Basilisk, we’ve explored a kaleidoscope of flavors that only scratch the surface of Portland’s culinary treasures.
However, it’s crucial to note that these five top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants are just a glimpse into the vast array of hole-in-the-wall dining experiences waiting to be discovered. This city is a mecca for food enthusiasts, with a great deal of hidden gems and unique eateries that offer their own exceptional dishes and atmospheres. This is why these are some of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Portland Top Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
1) Lottie and Zulas
Address: 120 NE Russel St.
Lottie and Zulas is undoubtedly one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nestled in the heart of this vibrant city. This charming eatery is not your typical dining establishment; it’s a hidden gem that embodies the essence of home-cooked comfort food. What makes Lottie and Zulas even more special is that it’s a family-owned and operated restaurant, where every dish is prepared with love and care.
Lottie and Zulas is renowned for its mouthwatering Chicken and Waffles. This classic Southern comfort food dish features perfectly fried chicken, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, served atop a fluffy waffle. The combination of savory and sweet, coupled with their secret syrupy drizzle, makes this dish an absolute must-try.
Main Menu Items:
1. The Portland Brisket Sandwich: Sliced, slow-cooked brisket piled high on a fresh ciabatta roll, this sandwich is a carnivore’s dream. Tender, smoky, and paired with tangy barbecue sauce and coleslaw, it’s an explosion of flavors that will leave you craving for more.
2. Lottie’s Mac and Cheese: Creamy, cheesy, and utterly indulgent, Lottie and Zulas’ Mac and Cheese is a popular comfort food staple. It’s made with a blend of the finest cheeses and a crispy breadcrumb topping, creating a harmonious texture contrast that’s downright addictive.
3. Zula’s Veggie Bowl: For those seeking a healthier option, the Veggie Bowl is a revelation. Packed with fresh, seasonal vegetables, quinoa, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette, it’s a flavorful and nutritious choice that doesn’t compromise on taste.
“Lottie and Zulas is the real deal when it comes to comfort food. I had the Chicken and Waffles, and it was a taste sensation like no other. The crispy chicken, fluffy waffle, and that secret syrup—oh my! This place is a hidden gem, and I’ll be back for more.”
“The Portland Brisket Sandwich is the stuff of legends. The brisket is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the barbecue sauce adds just the right amount of kick. I can’t believe it took me so long to discover this hole-in-the-wall gem.”
“Lottie and Zulas offers a veggie bowl that’s a game-changer. As a vegetarian, I often struggle to find exciting options, but this bowl was bursting with flavor and freshness. It’s clear that they put thought and care into every dish.”
In the heart of Portland, Lottie and Zulas stands as one of the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering a delightful family-owned dining experience. With signature dishes like their famous Chicken and Waffles and a diverse menu featuring items like the Portland Brisket Sandwich and Zula’s Veggie Bowl, this place caters to a wide range of palates. Based on glowing customer reviews, Lottie and Zulas is a true culinary treasure in the city, where flavor and authenticity come together to create an unforgettable dining experience.
They are one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Don’t miss the chance to savor the delectable offerings of this hidden gem—one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. They rank high among the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants for good reasons.
Address: 820 NE 27th Ave.
Nestled in the heart of Portland, Basilisk is undoubtedly one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This unassuming gem is a true testament to the city’s thriving food scene. Basilisk is more than just a restaurant; it’s a family-owned and operated establishment that exudes passion for quality cuisine and unforgettable dining experiences.
Basilisk’s claim to fame is its delectable Fried Chicken Sandwich. This mouthwatering masterpiece features a crispy, golden-fried chicken thigh, nestled between two fluffy, perfectly toasted buns. The secret weapon? A generous slathering of house-made comeback sauce, coleslaw, and pickles, creating a symphony of flavors that keeps locals and tourists alike coming back for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. The OG Fried Chicken Sandwich: This is the sandwich that put Basilisk on the map. A perfectly seasoned, extra-crispy chicken thigh is married with tangy comeback sauce, creating a delightful contrast of textures and flavors. Topped with crunchy slaw and pickles, it’s a bite you won’t soon forget.
2. Pimento Mac ‘n’ Cheese: Basilisk’s take on this classic comfort dish is a revelation. Creamy mac ‘n’ cheese with a twist—featuring pimento cheese, bacon crumbles, and a crispy breadcrumb topping. It’s the ultimate indulgence for cheese lovers.
3. Hot and Spicy Tots: These tots pack a punch! Golden-brown and seasoned to perfection, they are generously coated in Basilisk’s house-made spicy seasoning. Served with a side of cooling ranch dressing, they strike the ideal balance between heat and comfort.
“Basilisk is the real deal. The Fried Chicken Sandwich is simply epic—crispy, flavorful, and that comeback sauce? Pure genius! It’s everything you want in a sandwich and more. Don’t be fooled by the unassuming exterior; this place is a must-visit.”
“Pimento Mac ‘n’ Cheese at Basilisk is like a taste of heaven. Creamy, cheesy, with that lovely pimento twist. Every bite is pure comfort food bliss. I can’t resist ordering it every time I visit.”
“If you like a little heat, you’ve got to try the Hot and Spicy Tots. They’re addictive! Perfectly crispy with just the right amount of kick. Basilisk is the kind of place that makes you fall in love with hole-in-the-wall dining all over again.”
Basilisk, one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, is a hidden treasure in the city’s culinary landscape. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it exudes warmth and dedication to serving exceptional food. Their Fried Chicken Sandwich, a true masterpiece, is a testament to their culinary prowess. They are absolutely one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
With dishes like the Pimento Mac ‘n’ Cheese and Hot and Spicy Tots, Basilisk offers a diverse menu that caters to various tastes. As evidenced by rave customer reviews, this unassuming gem is a must-visit for anyone seeking an unforgettable dining experience. Don’t let its unassuming exterior fool you; Basilisk is, without a doubt, one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants worth discovering. They stand out among the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Address: 2811 NE Glisan St.
Pambiche is undeniably one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, tucked away in the city’s vibrant culinary scene. This charming eatery is a testament to the city’s diversity, offering a taste of Cuba in the heart of Portland. What sets Pambiche apart is that it’s a family-owned and operated establishment, where the love for authentic Cuban cuisine shines through in every dish.
Pambiche’s claim to fame is its mouthwatering Cuban Ropa Vieja. This iconic dish features tender, shredded beef simmered in a rich tomato-based sauce, enhanced with aromatic spices and bell peppers. Served with black beans, rice, and sweet plantains, it’s a flavorful journey straight to the heart of Cuba.
Main Menu Items:
1. Arroz con Pollo: This Cuban classic is a hearty and comforting dish. Tender pieces of chicken are marinated in a flavorful blend of spices, cooked with saffron-infused rice, and paired with black beans and fried sweet plantains. It’s a symphony of flavors and textures that’s both satisfying and soulful.
2. Lechón Asado: Pambiche’s Lechón Asado is a masterpiece of Cuban cuisine. Succulent, slow-roasted pork marinated in a tangy citrus and garlic mojo sauce, served with fluffy white rice, black beans, and yuca con mojo. The combination of flavors is a testament to the restaurant’s commitment to authenticity.
3. Vegan Picadillo: Pambiche caters to all dietary preferences, including vegans. Their Vegan Picadillo is a savory delight made with plant-based protein, green olives, raisins, and aromatic Cuban spices. Served with white rice, black beans, and sweet plantains, it’s a cruelty-free twist on a Cuban classic.
“Pambiche is a hidden gem in Portland, and their Ropa Vieja is the real deal. The flavors are so authentic; it feels like a taste of Havana right here in Oregon. The family atmosphere and friendly staff make the experience even better.”
“I’ve traveled to Cuba, and I can vouch for Pambiche’s authenticity. Their Lechón Asado is the closest thing to what I had in Havana. The tender pork and the mojo sauce transport me back to the streets of Cuba. This place is a must-visit.”
“As a vegan, it’s not always easy to find Cuban food that suits my diet. Pambiche’s Vegan Picadillo is a revelation. It’s packed with flavor, and the plant-based protein is incredibly satisfying. A fantastic option for vegans and anyone who loves Cuban cuisine.”
Pambiche, one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offers a delightful taste of Cuba right in the heart of the city. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it radiates authenticity and a passion for Cuban cuisine. With signature dishes like the Cuban Ropa Vieja and an extensive menu that includes Arroz con Pollo, Lechón Asado, and Vegan Picadillo, Pambiche caters to a wide range of palates. Glowing customer reviews attest to its genuine Cuban flavors and welcoming atmosphere.
They are another of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If you’re seeking an authentic Cuban dining experience, Pambiche is undoubtedly one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants worth exploring. They deserve to be ranked high among the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
4) Master Kong
Address: 8435 SE Division St.
Master Kong is undeniably one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nestled within the city’s diverse culinary landscape. This unassuming gem is a testament to Portland’s love for international cuisine, specifically Szechuan and Northern Chinese flavors. What makes Master Kong truly special is that it’s a family-owned and operated restaurant, where the commitment to authenticity and quality shines through in every dish.
Master Kong’s signature dish is the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup. This steaming bowl of delight features tender slices of beef, house-made chewy noodles, and a robust, fiery broth that’s an explosion of flavors. Garnished with fresh cilantro, it’s a bowl of comfort that captures the essence of Szechuan cuisine.
Main Menu Items:
1. Szechuan Dry-Fried Chicken: A crowd-favorite, this dish consists of succulent pieces of chicken that are stir-fried to crispy perfection and then tossed in a flavorful blend of Szechuan spices. It’s a spicy and addictive treat that pairs wonderfully with a side of jasmine rice.
2. Pork Belly Bao: These soft, pillowy buns are stuffed with melt-in-your-mouth slices of braised pork belly, pickled mustard greens, and crushed peanuts. The combination of textures and flavors makes this dish a memorable appetizer or snack.
3. Vegetarian Mapo Tofu: Master Kong also caters to vegetarians with their delectable Mapo Tofu. Silky cubes of tofu are smothered in a spicy, savory sauce, creating a satisfying dish that’s a true standout on the menu.
“Master Kong is a hidden treasure in Portland. The Spicy Beef Noodle Soup is out of this world. The noodles have the perfect chew, and the broth is the right balance of spicy and flavorful. It’s like a warm hug on a cold day.”
“I can’t get enough of the Szechuan Dry-Fried Chicken at Master Kong. It’s crispy, spicy, and downright addictive. I’ve been to Szechuan, and this place captures the authentic flavors like no other.”
“Even as a vegetarian, I find the options at Master Kong incredibly satisfying. The Vegetarian Mapo Tofu is a must-try. It’s spicy, full of flavor, and the tofu is so tender. This is one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants for a reason.”
Master Kong, one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offers an authentic taste of Szechuan and Northern Chinese cuisine in the heart of the city. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it radiates a commitment to quality and a passion for delivering genuine flavors. With signature dishes like the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup and a diverse menu that includes Szechuan Dry-Fried Chicken, Pork Belly Bao, and Vegetarian Mapo Tofu, Master Kong caters to a wide range of palates. Rave customer reviews attest to its ability to capture the essence of Szechuan cuisine.
They are obviously one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If you’re craving a culinary adventure, Master Kong is undoubtedly one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants that deserves your attention. They have earned the rank of being one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
5) Black Water
Address: 835 NE Broadway
Black Water is undeniably one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering a unique and alternative dining experience in the heart of the city. This unconventional eatery is not just a restaurant; it’s a haven for the local punk and vegan communities. What sets Black Water apart is that it’s a family-owned and operated establishment, where a passion for music, art, and plant-based cuisine comes together in a welcoming atmosphere.
Black Water’s signature dish is their Vegan Philly Cheesesteak. This plant-based masterpiece features seared strips of marinated seitan, sautéed onions and peppers, and creamy vegan cheese, all nestled within a toasted hoagie roll. It’s a guilt-free take on a classic comfort food, perfect for both vegans and those looking to explore new flavors.
Main Menu Items:
1. The Blackened Beyond Burger: This burger takes plant-based dining to the next level. A Beyond Meat patty is seasoned and seared to perfection, topped with vegan cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a house-made blackened aioli. Served with a side of crispy seasoned fries, it’s a satisfying and flavorful option for burger enthusiasts.
2. Buffalo Cauliflower Wings: For those craving a spicy kick, Black Water offers Buffalo Cauliflower Wings. These battered and baked cauliflower florets are tossed in a fiery buffalo sauce and served with vegan ranch dressing for dipping. They are a delightful alternative to traditional chicken wings.
3. Loaded Vegan Nachos: Black Water’s Loaded Vegan Nachos are a crowd-pleaser. A generous heap of tortilla chips is smothered with vegan cheese, black beans, jalapeños, salsa, guacamole, and vegan sour cream. It’s a shareable dish that’s perfect for enjoying with friends.
“Black Water is my go-to spot for vegan comfort food. The Vegan Philly Cheesesteak is mind-blowing. The seitan is so flavorful, and the vegan cheese is creamy perfection. Plus, the punk rock vibe makes it a unique and fun place to hang out.”
“I’m not vegan, but I keep coming back for The Blackened Beyond Burger. It’s seriously one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. The blackened aioli gives it a unique and bold flavor. Black Water is definitely one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
“The Buffalo Cauliflower Wings at Black Water are addictive. They have the perfect amount of heat, and the vegan ranch complements them perfectly. The atmosphere here is welcoming, and the staff is friendly. I can’t recommend it enough.”
Black Water, one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offers a one-of-a-kind dining experience that combines punk rock culture with plant-based cuisine. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it embraces a diverse and alternative community. With signature dishes like the Vegan Philly Cheesesteak and an eclectic menu featuring items like The Blackened Beyond Burger, Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, and Loaded Vegan Nachos, Black Water caters to a wide range of tastes and dietary preferences.
They are considered one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Glowing customer reviews speak to its unique atmosphere and delicious vegan offerings. If you’re looking for a quirky and delicious dining experience, Black Water is unquestionably one of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants that should be on your radar. They deserve to be ranked among the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants just waiting to be discovered. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the top Portland top hole-in-the-wall restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
So, while we’ve highlighted some of the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, it’s essential to keep exploring and embarking on culinary adventures throughout this remarkable city. Whether you’re a fan of comfort food, international cuisine, or innovative vegan options, Portland has an abundance of culinary surprises in store.
In your quest to uncover the top Portland hole-in-the-wall restaurants, remember that this city’s food scene is a journey of endless discovery. Each tucked-away gem tells a story and offers an experience that is uniquely Portland, making it one of the top destinations for food enthusiasts seeking genuine, soulful, and memorable dining experiences. So, go forth and savor the flavors of Portland, one hole-in-the-wall restaurant at a time.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape