Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 10:15 pm
This Finnish Riisipuuro recipe is a tasty dish I discovered on a trip, and I just had to try it. It’s a traditional, warm, and creamy rice porridge that comes from Finland. People there love to eat it, especially during the colder months. I was so excited to make this yummy treat and share it with my friends and family. When I first heard about the Finnish Riisipuuro recipe, I was curious to learn more. I asked people from the place where it’s popular how they make it and what they like about it. They told me that it’s a favorite dish for many because it’s easy to make and has a delightful taste. I knew I needed to try this amazing porridge, so I got the recipe and brought it home with me.
Want more ideas to round-out your Finland Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Once I was back home, I couldn’t wait to try making Riisipuuro for the first time. I gathered all the ingredients and followed the recipe card below. As I cooked, the sweet smell of the porridge filled my kitchen, making me even more excited to taste it. When it was ready, I scooped a warm bowl for myself and took my first bite. It was love at first taste! The creamy texture and the subtle sweetness made it a truly delightful treat. After trying this Finnish Riisipuuro recipe, I knew I had to share it with my loved ones. I invited my friends and family over to taste this delicious dish. They were all eager to try something new, and they were not disappointed. As soon as they took their first bites, their faces lit up with smiles. They couldn’t believe how tasty it was and kept asking for more.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise your family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily
It was so much fun to share this delightful dish with my loved ones, and I wanted to help others discover Riisipuuro too. I knew that many people might not have heard about it before, but I was sure they would love it just as much as I do. That’s why I decided to write this introduction and share the recipe with you. Riisipuuro is a wonderful dish that is perfect for warming you up on a cold day. It’s easy to make, and its creamy texture and subtle sweetness make it a treat that people of all ages can enjoy. I hope that you’ll be inspired to try making Riisipuuro too, and that you’ll share it with your friends and family. I’m sure they’ll be just as delighted as I was when I first tasted it.
If you’re looking for a new and exciting dish to try, I highly recommend giving Riisipuuro a go. It’s a simple, yet scrumptious porridge that is perfect for bringing people together and creating memorable moments. You’ll love the taste, and your friends and family will be asking for more. Don’t wait another day to discover the delicious world of Riisipuuro. Enjoy!
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
1. Creamy and Delicious Texture: When I first tried the Finnish Riisipuuro recipe, I was amazed by the creamy texture of the porridge. The rice becomes soft and tender, making it a joy to eat. The creaminess is something that you can’t resist, and it makes you want to take another bite. It’s not too thick, nor too thin, but just right. This wonderful texture is one of the reasons I fell in love with Riisipuuro, and I know that others will love it too.
2. Perfect Balance of Favors: Another reason people love the Finnish Riisipuuro recipe is its perfect balance of flavors. The rice porridge is not too sweet, but it has just the right amount of sweetness to satisfy your taste buds. The addition of a little salt also helps to bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients. The combination of these tastes makes Riisipuuro a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy. When I made it for my friends and family, they couldn’t get enough of it, and I’m sure it will be a hit in your home as well.
3. Easy to Make With Simple Ingredients: The third reason people love the Finnish Riisipuuro recipe is that it’s easy to make with simple ingredients. You don’t need any fancy equipment or hard-to-find items to make this amazing dish. The recipe calls for basic ingredients like rice, milk, sugar, and butter, which are things that most people already have in their kitchen. When I made Riisipuuro for the first time, I was surprised by how simple it was to prepare. The straightforward cooking process means that even beginner cooks can make this tasty porridge without any trouble. This is a big reason why I think everyone should give Riisipuuro a try.
How To Make Our Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
2 cups of water
1 cup of short-grain rice
1 teaspoon of salt
6 cups of milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add the rice and salt.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed most of the water.
3. Add the milk and cinnamon stick to the pot and stir well.
4. Simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rice is soft and the pudding is thick and creamy.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract.
6. Serve the Riisipuuro warm or chilled, garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
Nutritional Information For the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Large pot with lid
Wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Allow the Riisipuuro to cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a splash of milk or water to loosen the pudding if necessary.
Substitutions For the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Use brown rice or another type of grain instead of short-grain white rice.
Use almond milk, coconut milk, or another non-dairy milk instead of cow’s milk.
Use a different sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
This recipe is already vegetarian.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Stir the pudding frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
If the pudding is too thick, add more milk to loosen it up.
Adjust the sweetness level to your preference by adding more or less sugar.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce
Fresh berries or fruit compote
Whipped cream or yogurt
Cinnamon sugar toast or Finnish pulla (sweet bread)
How To Serve the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
Serve the Riisipuuro warm or chilled in individual bowls or mugs.
Top with your desired garnishes such as cinnamon, jam, or berries.
Enjoy as a dessert or breakfast dish.
FAQ About the Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
What is traditional Finnish Riisipuuro?
Traditional Finnish Riisipuuro is a rice pudding that is a staple dessert and breakfast dish in Finland. It is typically made with short-grain rice, milk, cinnamon, and sugar, and can be served warm or chilled.
How do I make traditional Finnish Riisipuuro?
To make traditional Finnish Riisipuuro, you’ll need to boil rice in water, add milk and cinnamon, and cook the mixture over low heat until the rice is soft and the pudding is thick and creamy. Butter, sugar, and vanilla extract are then stirred in for flavor.
Can I make substitutions to the traditional Finnish Riisipuuro recipe?
Yes, you can make substitutions to the traditional Finnish Riisipuuro recipe to suit your preferences or dietary restrictions. For example, you could use brown rice instead of white rice, non-dairy milk instead of cow’s milk, or a different sweetener instead of sugar.
How should I store leftover traditional Finnish Riisipuuro?
To store leftover traditional Finnish Riisipuuro, allow it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop as needed.
What are some possible side dishes to serve with traditional Finnish Riisipuuro?
Traditional Finnish Riisipuuro can be served on its own or with a variety of garnishes and side dishes. Some popular options include lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce, fresh berries or fruit compote, whipped cream or yogurt, and Finnish pulla or cinnamon sugar toast.
The traditional Finnish Riisipuuro recipe has become one of my all-time favorite dishes since I discovered it on my trip. As a food blogger, I’ve tried many dishes, but this one holds a special place in my heart. I was so thrilled to cook this delightful porridge at home and experience its amazing taste and texture once again. Riisipuuro is a dish that can bring warmth and happiness to any mealtime. It’s the kind of recipe that makes you feel good from the inside out. While enjoying a bowl of this creamy, delicious porridge, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of comfort and joy. The taste is so satisfying, and it’s a great way to start or end your day.
One of the things I love most about Riisipuuro is how it can be enjoyed by everyone, no matter their age or taste preferences. Kids and adults alike will appreciate the simple, yet delightful flavors of this dish. It’s an excellent choice for a family meal, as everyone can gather around the table and enjoy a steaming bowl of this delightful porridge together. I also appreciate that this recipe is so easy to make. As a busy food blogger, I’m always looking for dishes that are simple to prepare yet still pack a punch in the flavor department. Riisipuuro checks all those boxes, making it a go-to recipe for me when I want something comforting and delicious without spending hours in the kitchen.
After sharing the traditional Finnish Riisipuuro recipe with my friends, family, and readers, I can confidently say that it’s a dish that will bring joy to your home. The perfect combination of creamy texture, just the right amount of sweetness, and ease of preparation makes it a winner in my book. If you haven’t tried Riisipuuro yet, I urge you to give it a go. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it just as I did, and it will become a cherished part of your recipe collection. Happy cooking!
Finnish Riisipuuro Recipe
- Large pot with lid
- Wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of short-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 cups of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add the rice and salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed most of the water.
- Add the milk and cinnamon stick to the pot and stir well.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rice is soft and the pudding is thick and creamy.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Serve the Riisipuuro warm or chilled, garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.