Last updated on October 10th, 2023 at 06:18 am
I Tried a scrumptious Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe while in Costa Rica last month. It was my first time tasting it, and now I can’t get enough of it. In this blog post, I will tell you what I loved about the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe and why you should give it a try too.
Torta Chilena is a layered dessert with thin pastry layers and a sweet filling. In Costa Rica, they usually use dulce de leche, a caramel-like sauce, for the filling. The dessert is both sweet and slightly crunchy, making it a delightful treat that’s hard to resist. I was amazed at how the different textures and flavors came together in this dessert.
Want more ideas to round-out your Costa Rican Recipe Box?
A lot of great options are in these posts!
I got to try the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe at a lovely bakery as they were making a batch. The bakery had a warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the staff were friendly and helpful. They told me that this dessert is quite popular in their country, and many people enjoy it on special occasions or as a treat. After trying it, I could see why it was so well liked.
When I first saw the results of the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe I knew I had to take it home with me to share with others, The layers of pastry were golden brown and looked delicate and flaky. The dulce de leche filling added a rich, caramel color that contrasted nicely with the pastry layers. It was topped with a light dusting of powdered sugar, making it even more visually appealing.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape
As soon as I took my first bite, I was in dessert heaven! The pastry layers were light and slightly crunchy, while the dulce de leche filling was sweet, smooth, and creamy. I loved how the flaky pastry and rich filling combined to create a harmonious blend of textures and flavors. It was just the right amount of sweetness, making it a satisfying dessert without being overly rich.
I noticed that the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe was not too heavy, even with the sweet filling. It felt like a perfect dessert to enjoy after a meal or as a treat during the day. I also appreciated that it was not overly sweet, which allowed me to fully savor the flavors of the pastry and dulce de leche.
When I finished my slice of Torta Chilena, I was left with a feeling of pure happiness. I knew I had discovered a new favorite dessert, and I couldn’t wait to share my experience with friends and family. I even asked the bakery staff for the recipe so that I could try making it at home. They generously shared it with me, and I am excited to recreate this delicious dessert in my own kitchen.
In conclusion, my experience with Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe was truly memorable. The dessert was a delightful blend of flavors and textures, making it a treat that anyone with a sweet tooth would enjoy. I highly recommend trying it if you ever have the chance. Even if you can’t visit Costa Rica, you can still make Torta Chilena at home and enjoy a little taste of this wonderful country. I hope you enjoyed reading about my sweet adventure, and maybe you’ll be inspired to make a batch with my Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe.
The Complete Recipe with Ingredients and Step by Step Instructions Listed Below
3 Reasons People Love the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
1. Perfect Balance of Sweetness and Texture: One of the main reasons people love the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipes is the perfect balance of sweetness and texture found in this dessert. The delicate, flaky layers of pastry contrast beautifully with the rich, smooth, and creamy dulce de leche filling. This balance creates a satisfying dessert experience that is both sweet and a little crunchy, leaving a lasting impression on anyone who tries it.
The harmonious blend of flavors in the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe is hard to resist, as the sweetness of the dulce de leche complements the light and slightly crunchy pastry layers. The result is a delightful dessert that appeals to a wide range of taste preferences, making it a popular choice for both locals and visitors to Costa Rica.
2. Visually Appealing Presentation: Another reason people love Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipes is its visually appealing presentation. The dessert is made of several golden brown pastry layers, with the rich, caramel-colored dulce de leche filling in between. This contrast in colors is not only pleasing to the eye but also gives a hint of the delightful combination of flavors that awaits inside.
To finish off the presentation, a light dusting of powdered sugar is added on top, making the dessert even more attractive. This attention to detail and beautiful presentation make the Torta Chilena a dessert that people are eager to try and share with friends and family. The striking appearance adds to the overall enjoyment of this delicious treat.
3. Ideal Dessert for Special Occasions and Everyday Treats: The third reason people love the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe is the versatility as a dessert option. The dessert is suitable for special occasions, such as birthdays, anniversaries, or holidays, making it a great choice for celebrations. At the same time, its delicious flavor and satisfying texture also make it a perfect treat for everyday enjoyment.
The Torta Chilena offers just the right amount of sweetness without being overly rich, allowing it to be enjoyed without feeling too heavy. This makes it an ideal dessert to share with friends and family after a meal or as a sweet treat during the day. The versatility of the Torta Chilena is another reason why it has become such a beloved dessert in Costa Rica and beyond.
People love the Costa Rican Torta Chilena for several reasons: its perfect balance of sweetness and texture, visually appealing presentation, and versatility as a dessert option for special occasions and everyday treats. These factors come together to create a dessert that has captured the hearts of both locals and visitors alike. If you ever have the chance to try the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe or have the time to make one of your own don’t hesitate you won’t be disappointed!
How To Make Our Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1 pound of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 pound of butter
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 cup of dulce de leche
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and milk.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
6. Divide the dough into two equal parts.
7. Roll out one half of the dough to fit a 9-inch (23cm) cake pan.
8. Place the rolled-out dough in the cake pan and spread the dulce de leche on top.
9. Roll out the other half of the dough and place it on top of the dulce de leche layer.
10. Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
11. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Let the torta cool before serving.
Nutritional Information For the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
Saturated Fat: 22g
Prep Time: 30 minutes.
Cooking Time: 35 minutes.
Pots, Pan and Cooking Equipment Needed for the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
2 large mixing bowls
Measuring cups and spoons
Electric mixer or hand mixer
9-inch (23cm) cake pan
Best Way to Store Leftovers From the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
The torta can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. If you want to keep it longer, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If storing in the freezer, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil to prevent freezer burn.
Substitutions For the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
If you don’t have dulce de leche, you can substitute it with caramel sauce or make your own by heating condensed milk until it thickens and turns caramel-colored.
If you don’t have shredded coconut, you can substitute it with chopped nuts or omit it altogether.
Substitutions For the Vegetarian Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
This recipe is already vegetarian, but if you want to make it vegan, you can substitute the butter with vegan butter and use a vegan dulce de leche.
Tips and Tricks For Easier Creation
Make sure the butter is at room temperature before using it in the recipe.
If the dough is too sticky, you can add a little bit more flour.
You can make the dulce de leche ahead of time or buy it pre-made for convenience.
Side Dishes and Desserts For the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
Fresh fruit salad
Coffee or tea
How To Serve the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
Let the torta cool completely before serving.
Cut it into slices and serve it with your choice of side dishes, such as fresh fruit salad, whipped cream, ice cream, or coffee or tea.
FAQ About the Costa Rican Torta Chilena Recipe
What is a Costa Rican Torta Chilena?
The Costa Rican Torta Chilena is a layered cake made with a buttery dough, dulce de leche filling, and topped with shredded coconut.
Can I use a different filling instead of dulce de leche?
Yes, you can use a different filling instead of dulce de leche. Caramel sauce or homemade caramel can be a good substitute.
Can I make the dough ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dough ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
Can I use a different size cake pan?
Yes, you can use a different size cake pan, but it will affect the baking time and the thickness of the cake. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
Can I make the Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can make a gluten-free version of the torta by using gluten-free flour instead of regular flour. However, the texture and taste may be slightly different.
The Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipes were a delightful and memorable experience. I was instantly captivated by the beautiful presentation and the perfect balance of sweetness and texture. This dessert has left a lasting impression on me, and I can’t wait to share my newfound love for it with friends and family.
The combination of flaky pastry layers and rich dulce de leche filling made every bite of Torta Chilena an absolute treat. I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfying and enjoyable this dessert was, without being too heavy or overly sweet. Its versatility as a dessert for special occasions or an everyday treat adds to its appeal.
If you ever have the opportunity to create a Costa Rican Torta Chilena recipe, whether in Costa Rica or at home, I wholeheartedly recommend giving it a try. I believe that this dessert’s beautiful presentation, delightful flavors, and satisfying texture will win you over as well. So, go ahead and indulge in a slice of Torta Chilena – you deserve it!
Costa Rican Torta Chilena
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- 9-inch (23cm) cake pan
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry brush
- 1 pound of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 pound of butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of dulce de leche
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll out one half of the dough to fit a 9-inch (23cm) cake pan.
- Place the rolled-out dough in the cake pan and spread the dulce de leche on top.
- Roll out the other half of the dough and place it on top of the dulce de leche layer.
- Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the torta cool before serving.