Last updated on September 25th, 2023 at 12:11 am
5 Pittsburgh Top Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
These five Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants are part of a delightful array of top hole-in-the-wall restaurants that cater to diverse tastes and culinary preferences. From the vibrant and authentic Mexican flavors at Pitaland to the comforting and eclectic vegetarian options at The Zenith, each restaurant holds a unique charm and promises a memorable dining experience.
At Noodlehead, patrons can savor the delectable Southeast Asian cuisine, while Las Palmas Carniceria offers a true taste of Mexico with its flavorful vegetarian options. Finally, Nicky’s Thai Kitchen takes diners on a flavorful journey to Thailand with its aromatic and savory dishes.
However, it’s essential to remember that this list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The city boasts an abundance of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Whether it’s an undiscovered hole-in-the-wall offering mouthwatering Italian delicacies or a tucked-away spot serving authentic Indian cuisine, Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants has something for every palate.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Popular Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Prime Pittsburgh Hole-in-the-Wall Diners
Noodlehead is one of Pittsburgh’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering delectable Southeast Asian cuisine. Situated in the lively neighborhood of Shadyside, this family-owned and operated gem is known for its vibrant atmosphere and mouthwatering dishes.
Noodlehead’s signature dish is undoubtedly their “Pad Thai.” This classic Thai noodle dish is prepared to perfection with stir-fried rice noodles, tofu or choice of meat, bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, and a tangy tamarind sauce. The blend of flavors creates a harmonious balance of sweet, savory, and slightly sour notes that will keep you craving for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Satay Skewers”: These succulent skewers of marinated and grilled chicken or beef are served with a rich and creamy peanut sauce. The tender meat is infused with tantalizing spices, making it a delightful appetizer to kickstart your culinary journey at Noodlehead.
2. “Green Curry”: Noodlehead’s Green Curry is a crowd-pleaser that features a luscious coconut milk-based broth with bamboo shoots, Thai eggplant, bell peppers, and your choice of protein. The aromatic blend of green chilies and Thai herbs creates a heavenly and aromatic dish that pairs perfectly with steamed jasmine rice.
3. “Mango Sticky Rice”: For a sweet ending to your meal, indulge in their mouthwatering “Mango Sticky Rice.” This classic Thai dessert combines perfectly ripe mango slices with sweet glutinous rice, drizzled with coconut milk and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It’s a delightful combination of flavors and textures that will leave you satisfied and craving more.
“Noodlehead blew me away with its authentic flavors and cozy ambiance. The Pad Thai was incredible, and the Green Curry had just the right amount of spice. Truly a hidden gem in Pittsburgh!”
“I’ve been searching for an excellent Satay Skewer in the city, and Noodlehead delivered! The meat was tender and juicy, and the peanut sauce was heavenly. Can’t wait to go back!”
“Visited Noodlehead with friends, and we couldn’t stop raving about the Mango Sticky Rice. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic dining experience. Highly recommend this place!”
Noodlehead, located in the heart of Shadyside, is undeniably one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This family-owned eatery excels in offering authentic Southeast Asian cuisine that tantalizes taste buds and keeps patrons coming back for more. They are one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
From their signature Pad Thai to delightful Satay Skewers and scrumptious Green Curry, Noodlehead delivers a memorable dining experience filled with flavors that transport you to the streets of Southeast Asia. Whether you’re a seasoned lover of Thai food or a curious newcomer, Noodlehead is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking a taste of the exotic in the Steel City. They are one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Pitaland is one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, specializing in authentic Middle Eastern cuisine. Located in the vibrant neighborhood of Squirrel Hill, this family-owned and operated eatery offers a delightful array of traditional dishes that will transport you to the heart of the Middle East.
Pitaland’s signature dish is the “Shawarma Platter.” This delectable platter features thinly sliced, perfectly seasoned marinated meat, such as chicken, beef, or lamb, cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Served with warm pita bread, fresh vegetables, and their signature tahini sauce, this dish is a true delight for the senses, with each bite bursting with the flavors of the Middle East.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Falafel Sandwich”: The Falafel Sandwich at Pitaland is a vegetarian delight. Crispy and flavorful falafel patties are nestled within soft, freshly baked pita bread, along with a generous serving of crunchy lettuce, ripe tomatoes, onions, and a drizzle of creamy tahini sauce. It’s a satisfying and wholesome option for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
2. “Mujadara Plate”: For a comforting and hearty meal, the Mujadara Plate is an excellent choice. This traditional Middle Eastern dish consists of lentils and rice cooked together with caramelized onions and flavorful spices. Served with a side of crisp salad and tangy pickles, this dish embodies the essence of Middle Eastern comfort food.
3. “Baklava”: Indulge your sweet tooth with Pitaland’s irresistible Baklava. This exquisite pastry is made with layers of flaky phyllo dough, filled with chopped nuts, and generously drenched in fragrant honey syrup. The result is a divine combination of textures and flavors that provide the perfect end to a delightful meal.
“Pitaland is a hidden gem in Squirrel Hill! The Shawarma Platter was outstanding, and the tender meat paired with the flavorful tahini sauce was a match made in heaven. Will definitely be returning for more!”
“Being a falafel lover, I tried their Falafel Sandwich, and it did not disappoint. The falafel was perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Combined with the fresh vegetables and tahini, it was a burst of flavors in every bite.”
“The Mujadara Plate was a revelation! The lentils and rice were cooked to perfection, and the caramelized onions added a sweet and savory touch. A truly comforting and delicious meal that I can’t wait to have again.”
Pitaland is undeniably one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nestled in the vibrant neighborhood of Squirrel Hill. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it offers an authentic taste of Middle Eastern cuisine that will leave you craving more. From their mouthwatering Shawarma Platter to the delightful Falafel Sandwich and comforting Mujadara Plate, each dish reflects the rich culinary heritage of the Middle East. They are one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Don’t forget to end your meal with the heavenly Baklava for a sweet and satisfying conclusion to your dining experience. For a true Middle Eastern culinary adventure, Pitaland is the perfect destination in Pittsburgh. They stand out among the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
3) Las Palmas Carniceria
Las Palmas Carniceria is one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering a unique blend of a Mexican grocery store and an eatery. Situated in the lively neighborhood of Lawrenceville, this family-owned and operated gem provides an authentic and flavorful Mexican dining experience.
Las Palmas Carniceria is renowned for its mouthwatering “Carne Asada Tacos.” These signature tacos feature tender and juicy grilled steak, marinated to perfection with a secret blend of spices. Served on soft corn tortillas and garnished with fresh cilantro, diced onions, and a squeeze of lime, these Carne Asada Tacos are a true delight for taco enthusiasts.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Carnitas Burrito”: The “Carnitas Burrito” is a must-try at Las Palmas Carniceria. Slow-cooked and succulent pork is wrapped in a large flour tortilla, along with Mexican rice, refried beans, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, and creamy guacamole. This substantial and flavorsome burrito is a hearty meal that will satisfy your cravings.
2. “Chiles Rellenos”: The “Chiles Rellenos” at Las Palmas Carniceria are a delightful choice for those seeking a spicy and savory treat. Roasted poblano peppers are stuffed with a flavorful mix of cheese and ground beef, dipped in a light egg batter, and then fried to a golden brown. Served with a side of zesty salsa, this dish showcases the richness of Mexican cuisine.
3. “Enchiladas Verdes”: Indulge in the delightful “Enchiladas Verdes,” which feature rolled corn tortillas filled with your choice of chicken, beef, or cheese. Topped with a vibrant green tomatillo sauce and melted cheese, these enchiladas are bursting with flavors and served with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans.
“Las Palmas Carniceria is a hidden gem in Lawrenceville! The Carne Asada Tacos were outstanding, and the tender grilled steak was incredibly flavorful. I can’t wait to explore more of their menu!”
“The Carnitas Burrito was the real deal! The pork was perfectly seasoned, and the combination of ingredients inside the burrito was spot-on. A delicious and satisfying meal that left me wanting more.”
“The Chiles Rellenos were absolutely divine! The peppers were just the right level of spiciness, and the cheesy filling was simply heavenly. A fantastic dining experience that I highly recommend to anyone craving authentic Mexican cuisine.”
Las Palmas Carniceria is undeniably one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, located in the vibrant neighborhood of Lawrenceville. As a family-owned and operated establishment, it offers a delightful combination of a Mexican grocery store and a restaurant, providing an authentic taste of Mexican flavors. They are another of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
From their signature Carne Asada Tacos to the savory Chiles Rellenos and delectable Enchiladas Verdes, each dish showcases the richness and authenticity of Mexican cuisine. For a genuine Mexican dining experience in Pittsburgh, Las Palmas Carniceria is the perfect destination that will leave you coming back for more. They deserve to be ranked high among the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
4) The Zenith
The Zenith is one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, a charming and eclectic vegetarian eatery located in the heart of the city’s historic South Side. This family-owned and operated gem offers a unique dining experience that combines art, vintage decor, and delicious vegetarian cuisine.
The Zenith is renowned for its mouthwatering “Veggie Reuben Sandwich.” This signature sandwich features layers of marinated and grilled tempeh or tofu, topped with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese (or vegan cheese), and tangy Russian dressing. Served between two slices of grilled rye bread, this delightful twist on the classic Reuben satisfies even the most discerning palates.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Zenith Buddha Bowl”: The “Zenith Buddha Bowl” is a colorful and nutritious ensemble of various seasonal vegetables, mixed greens, avocado slices, quinoa, and toasted nuts. Drizzled with a zesty lemon-tahini dressing, this wholesome bowl offers a harmonious blend of flavors and textures, making it a favorite among health-conscious diners.
2. “Stuffed Bell Peppers”: The “Stuffed Bell Peppers” at The Zenith are a comforting and hearty choice. Bell peppers are filled with a delectable blend of rice, black beans, roasted vegetables, and spices, then baked to perfection. Served with a side of house-made salsa, this dish showcases the restaurant’s commitment to flavorful vegetarian options.
3. “Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse”: For a sweet treat, indulge in the “Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse.” This luscious and creamy dessert is made from ripe avocados, rich cocoa, and a touch of sweetness. Topped with fresh berries and chopped nuts, this guilt-free indulgence is the perfect ending to a satisfying vegetarian meal.
“The Zenith is a hidden gem in the South Side! The Veggie Reuben Sandwich was beyond my expectations. The tempeh was perfectly seasoned, and the combination of flavors was simply outstanding.”
“The Zenith Buddha Bowl is my go-to lunch spot! The freshness of the vegetables and the creaminess of the lemon-tahini dressing make it a healthy and delightful meal. Highly recommended for all veggie lovers!”
“I never thought I’d enjoy Stuffed Bell Peppers without meat, but The Zenith proved me wrong. The flavors were amazing, and the salsa complemented the dish perfectly. Can’t wait to return for more!”
The Zenith stands as one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, located in the historic South Side. As a family-owned and operated vegetarian eatery, it offers an inviting and eclectic atmosphere, where art and vintage decor add to the dining experience. They are one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
From their mouthwatering Veggie Reuben Sandwich to the colorful and nutritious Zenith Buddha Bowl and the comforting Stuffed Bell Peppers, each dish reflects the restaurant’s commitment to providing delicious and wholesome vegetarian options. For a delightful and unique vegetarian dining experience in Pittsburgh, The Zenith is the perfect destination that leaves diners with a sense of satisfaction and appreciation for its flavorful offerings. They have earned the rank of being one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
5) Nicky’s Thai Kitchen
Nicky’s Thai Kitchen is one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, a popular gem serving authentic Thai cuisine. Nestled in the bustling area of the city’s North Side, this family-owned and operated establishment offers a warm and inviting ambiance, welcoming diners to experience the flavors of Thailand.
Nicky’s Thai Kitchen is renowned for its mouthwatering “Pad Kee Mao,” also known as Drunken Noodles. This signature dish features wide rice noodles stir-fried with fresh vegetables, your choice of protein (such as chicken, beef, shrimp, or tofu), and aromatic Thai basil leaves. The dish is infused with a delectable blend of savory, sweet, and spicy flavors, creating a tantalizing experience that keeps patrons coming back for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. “Tom Yum Soup”: The “Tom Yum Soup” is a popular favorite at Nicky’s Thai Kitchen. This classic Thai soup combines a flavorful broth with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, mushrooms, and your choice of chicken, shrimp, or tofu. The delightful blend of herbs and spices makes it a refreshing and comforting choice, perfect for any time of the year.
2. “Green Curry”: Nicky’s Thai Kitchen’s “Green Curry” is a standout on the menu. This rich and creamy curry is made with coconut milk, Thai green curry paste, bamboo shoots, bell peppers, and your preferred protein. Served with fragrant jasmine rice, this dish offers a harmonious fusion of spiciness and creaminess that will leave you satisfied and craving more.
3. “Mango Sticky Rice”: For a sweet and delightful ending to your meal, indulge in the “Mango Sticky Rice.” This traditional Thai dessert features perfectly ripe mango slices served with sweet glutinous rice and drizzled with creamy coconut milk. It’s a refreshing and satisfying treat that will transport you to the tropical shores of Thailand.
“Nicky’s Thai Kitchen never disappoints! The Pad Kee Mao is my absolute favorite – the perfect balance of flavors with just the right amount of heat. Truly a hidden gem in the North Side!”
“The Tom Yum Soup was a revelation! The broth was bursting with fragrant flavors, and the shrimp added a delightful touch. I’m already planning my next visit!”
“I can’t get enough of Nicky’s Green Curry! The creaminess and spiciness blend together perfectly, and the bamboo shoots add a lovely texture. The best Thai food in Pittsburgh!”
Nicky’s Thai Kitchen stands as one of Pittsburgh’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, located in the vibrant North Side. As a family-owned and operated Thai eatery, it offers an authentic taste of Thailand with a warm and inviting ambiance. They are one of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
From their mouthwatering Pad Kee Mao to the comforting Tom Yum Soup and delightful Mango Sticky Rice, each dish reflects the richness and authenticity of Thai cuisine. For an unforgettable Thai dining experience in Pittsburgh, Nicky’s Thai Kitchen is the perfect destination that will leave you savoring the flavors and eagerly anticipating your next visit. They can definitely be counted among the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
So, the next time you’re in Pittsburgh or a local looking for a new culinary adventure, be sure to explore beyond the familiar and venture into the lesser-known corners of the city. Embark on a culinary journey filled with exciting discoveries and unique flavors, as there are plenty more Pittsburgh top hole-in-the-wall restaurants waiting to be uncovered in this vibrant city. From cozy family-owned eateries to quirky and eclectic gems, Pittsburgh’s diverse dining landscape is sure to surprise and delight food enthusiasts of all kinds.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape