Last updated on October 6th, 2023 at 04:02 am
5 Salt Lake City Top Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants
We’ve had the pleasure of exploring five Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants: Purgatory, Noor Restaurant, Navajo Hogan, Eva, and Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant. Each of these eateries has its unique charm, offering diverse flavors and experiences that cater to a wide range of tastes. Salt Lake City boasts a vibrant culinary scene filled with hidden treasures.
From the authentic Mexican cuisine at Purgatory to the Middle Eastern delights at Noor Restaurant, these establishments capture the essence of their respective cuisines. Navajo Hogan brings the flavors of the American Southwest to life, while Eva’s small plates and tapas-style dishes showcase culinary innovation. Finally, Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant invites patrons to embark on a journey to the heart of Ethiopia through communal dining and a rich tapestry of flavors.
However, it’s important to note that these five Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this city’s hidden culinary gems. The city is teeming with numerous other hole-in-the-wall establishments, each with its unique offerings waiting to be discovered by adventurous diners. Whether you’re seeking international flavors, comfort food with a twist, or an unforgettable dining experience, Salt Lake City has much more to offer. This is why these are some of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are waiting for you to discover them. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
5 Best-Kept-Secret Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Address: 62 E 700th S
Purgatory is undeniably one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offering a unique dining experience that has become a local favorite. Nestled in the heart of the city, this family-owned and operated gem boasts an unassuming exterior that belies the culinary delights within.
Purgatory is celebrated for its mouthwatering Chile Verde Burrito. This signature dish features tender chunks of slow-cooked pork, smothered in a rich and tangy green chili sauce. The burrito is generously stuffed with perfectly cooked pinto beans, fluffy Spanish rice, and a blend of melted cheese. Served piping hot and garnished with fresh cilantro, it’s a flavor explosion that captures the essence of authentic Mexican cuisine.
Main Menu Items:
1. Carne Asada Tacos: Succulent slices of marinated, grilled steak are the star of this dish. Served on warm corn tortillas, the steak is accompanied by crisp lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a zesty salsa. Each bite offers a symphony of flavors and textures, making it a must-try for taco aficionados.
2. Enchiladas Suizas: Purgatory’s Enchiladas Suizas are a heavenly combination of flavors. Corn tortillas are rolled around tender chicken, smothered in a creamy tomatillo sauce, and topped with melted cheese. The dish is baked to perfection, resulting in a harmonious blend of creamy, tangy, and savory elements.
3. Tamales de Puerco: These traditional tamales are a testament to Purgatory’s commitment to authenticity. Tender pork, marinated with aromatic spices, is encased in masa dough and wrapped in corn husks. Steamed to perfection, the tamales are served with a side of red chili sauce, adding a delightful kick to each bite.
“Purgatory is a hidden gem in Salt Lake City! The Chile Verde Burrito is the best I’ve ever had. The flavors are incredible, and the portions are generous. This place is a must-visit for anyone craving authentic Mexican cuisine.”
“The Carne Asada Tacos at Purgatory are simply divine. The steak is always tender, and the salsa is so flavorful. It’s the perfect spot for a quick and delicious meal.”
“I can’t get enough of the Tamales de Puerco here. They’re so authentic and remind me of my grandmother’s cooking. Purgatory truly captures the essence of Mexican food.”
Purgatory stands as one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, popular for its authentic Mexican fare and family-owned charm. With signature dishes like the Chile Verde Burrito, Carne Asada Tacos, Enchiladas Suizas, and Tamales de Puerco, this unassuming eatery consistently delivers exceptional flavors that keep patrons coming back for more.
They are one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re a local or just passing through, Purgatory is a culinary destination that should not be missed. They rank high among the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants for good reasons.
2) Noor Restaurant
Address: 1151 S Redwood Rd.
Nestled in the heart of Salt Lake City, Noor Restaurant is undoubtedly one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This charming establishment, proudly family-owned and operated, offers a delightful culinary journey that combines the flavors of the Middle East with a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Noor Restaurant is renowned for its delectable Lamb Shawarma. Prepared with precision and care, the succulent pieces of marinated lamb are slowly roasted to perfection on a vertical spit. Served in a warm pita bread pocket, the lamb is complemented by a medley of fresh vegetables and a drizzle of creamy tahini sauce. Each bite of this signature dish is a harmonious blend of tender meat, vibrant vegetables, and rich Middle Eastern flavors.
Main Menu Items:
1. Falafel Platter: Noor’s Falafel Platter is a vegetarian delight. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, the falafel balls are made from ground chickpeas and aromatic spices. They are served with a fluffy bed of basmati rice, a refreshing cucumber and tomato salad, and a generous dollop of creamy hummus. This dish offers a symphony of textures and flavors that will satisfy both vegetarians and meat lovers alike.
2. Moussaka: A popular Middle Eastern classic, Noor’s Moussaka is a comforting dish that showcases layers of eggplant, ground beef, and tomatoes, all seasoned to perfection. Baked to a golden brown and topped with a creamy béchamel sauce, this dish is a savory and hearty choice for those looking for a taste of traditional Middle Eastern cuisine.
3. Baklava: To end your meal on a sweet note, indulge in Noor’s Baklava. These delicate layers of flaky phyllo dough are filled with a sweet mixture of chopped nuts and fragrant spices. Drenched in a honey syrup, each bite is a heavenly blend of crunchy, nutty, and syrupy sweetness.
“Noor Restaurant is a hidden gem! The Lamb Shawarma is out of this world. The flavors are authentic, and the meat is incredibly tender. I can’t get enough of their falafel either; it’s the best I’ve ever had.”
“I stumbled upon Noor Restaurant and was blown away by the Moussaka. It’s like a taste of the Middle East right here in Salt Lake City. The atmosphere is cozy, and the service is friendly and welcoming.”
“Don’t miss the Baklava at Noor! It’s the perfect way to end a meal. This place truly embodies the spirit of a hole-in-the-wall gem – unassuming from the outside but a culinary treasure inside.”
Noor Restaurant, one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, stands as a testament to the rich flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine. With a signature dish like Lamb Shawarma and a diverse menu featuring Falafel Platters, Moussaka, and Baklava, this family-owned establishment provides an authentic dining experience in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
They are absolutely one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
If you’re in search of an unpretentious culinary adventure, Noor Restaurant is a must-visit destination in Salt Lake City. They stand out among the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
3) Navajo Hogan
Address: 447 E 3300 S
Tucked away in Salt Lake City, Navajo Hogan is a hidden culinary treasure, often regarded as one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This cozy eatery is a family-owned and operated establishment that has been serving up a delightful blend of American comfort food with a Southwestern twist.
Navajo Hogan’s claim to fame is undoubtedly their Navajo Taco. This iconic dish features a generous portion of seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken, served on a fluffy, fried bread base. It’s then topped with fresh lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. The combination of savory, crispy, and creamy textures makes this dish a true masterpiece.
Main Menu Items:
1. Green Chili Burger: The Green Chili Burger at Navajo Hogan is a spicy sensation. A perfectly grilled beef patty is smothered in a rich green chili sauce, giving it a delightful kick. Served on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, and cheese, this burger offers a unique and mouthwatering flavor profile.
2. Chicken Enchiladas: For a taste of Southwest authenticity, try the Chicken Enchiladas. Tender pieces of seasoned chicken are rolled in corn tortillas and baked to perfection with a savory red enchilada sauce. They’re then topped with melted cheese and served with a side of Spanish rice and refried beans.
3. Fry Bread Dessert: Navajo Hogan’s Fry Bread Dessert is a sweet treat that you won’t want to miss. The golden-fried bread is sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, creating a crispy and indulgent base. It’s then drizzled with honey and garnished with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, making it the perfect ending to a satisfying meal.
“Navajo Hogan is a true gem! Their Navajo Taco is a flavor explosion in every bite. The fry bread base is to die for, and the toppings are fresh and delicious. It’s a must-visit for anyone in Salt Lake City.”
“I’m a fan of spicy food, and the Green Chili Burger here hits the spot. The flavors are bold, and the burger is cooked just right. This place captures the essence of Southwestern cuisine.”
“Don’t leave Navajo Hogan without trying their Fry Bread Dessert. It’s the perfect sweet ending to a fantastic meal. This restaurant truly deserves its reputation as one of Salt Lake City’s top hole-in-the-wall spots.”
Navajo Hogan, proudly recognized as one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, offers a warm and inviting atmosphere alongside its unique Southwestern-inspired American cuisine. Their Navajo Taco, Green Chili Burger, and Fry Bread Dessert are just a taste of the culinary delights that await.
They are another of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re seeking comfort food with a twist or a sweet ending to your meal, Navajo Hogan delivers with flavorful dishes that make every visit memorable. They deserve to be ranked high among the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Address: 317 S Main St.
Eva, located in the heart of Salt Lake City, is a true hidden gem and one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This charming eatery, family-owned and operated, offers an intimate and inviting dining experience. Eva has gained a loyal following for its innovative small plates and tapas-style dishes, making it a culinary destination in the city.
Eva is renowned for its Bacon-Wrapped Dates, a dish that has become synonymous with the restaurant. Plump Medjool dates are stuffed with creamy goat cheese, wrapped in crispy applewood-smoked bacon, and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. The sweet, salty, and savory flavors come together in perfect harmony, creating a mouthwatering appetizer that keeps patrons coming back for more.
Main Menu Items:
1. Patatas Bravas: Eva’s Patatas Bravas is a Spanish-inspired dish that tantalizes the taste buds. Crispy, golden-brown potato cubes are served with a smoky and slightly spicy tomato aioli. The combination of textures and flavors in this dish is a delightful experience that showcases Eva’s commitment to culinary creativity.
2. Grilled Hanger Steak: For those craving heartier fare, the Grilled Hanger Steak is a must-try. The tender and flavorful hanger steak is cooked to perfection and served with a chimichurri sauce that adds a burst of freshness to each bite. Accompanied by perfectly roasted vegetables, this dish is a testament to Eva’s dedication to quality and taste.
3. Mushroom Risotto: Eva’s Mushroom Risotto is a vegetarian delight. Creamy Arborio rice is cooked to perfection and mixed with a medley of wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and grated Parmesan cheese. The result is a rich and satisfying dish that showcases the restaurant’s versatility in catering to diverse palates.
“Eva is a true gem in Salt Lake City. The Bacon-Wrapped Dates are out of this world! The combination of flavors is pure magic. It’s a perfect place for a date night or a special occasion.”
“I can’t get enough of the Patatas Bravas here. They’re the best I’ve had outside of Spain. The small plates concept is fantastic because you get to try so many different flavors in one meal.”
“Eva’s Mushroom Risotto is a vegetarian’s dream. It’s creamy, earthy, and absolutely delicious. The restaurant’s cozy ambiance and friendly staff make it one of Salt Lake City’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
Eva, a family-owned and operated establishment, is undeniably one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, known for its inventive small plates and tapas-style dishes. Their signature Bacon-Wrapped Dates and diverse menu offerings like Patatas Bravas, Grilled Hanger Steak, and Mushroom Risotto showcase their dedication to flavor and creativity.
They are obviously one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re seeking a unique dining experience or a cozy atmosphere for a special occasion, Eva delivers a memorable culinary journey that keeps patrons returning for more. They have earned the rank of being one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
5) Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant
Address: 1465 State St Ste 7
Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant is an authentic and unassuming gem in Salt Lake City, proudly standing as one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. This family-owned and operated establishment offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere, inviting patrons to experience the rich and diverse flavors of Ethiopian cuisine.
At Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant, the Injera Combo is the undisputed star. This signature dish features a large, spongy, sourdough flatbread known as injera, served with an array of flavorful stews and toppings. Diners can enjoy a medley of Ethiopian classics, including Doro Wat (spicy chicken stew), Tibs (sauteed meat), and a variety of vegetable options. The communal dining experience, where everyone shares from the same platter, embodies the essence of Ethiopian cuisine and culture.
Main Menu Items:
1. Veggie Combo: The Veggie Combo at Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant is a vegetarian’s delight. It includes a selection of colorful and hearty vegetable stews and lentil dishes, served alongside the signature injera bread. The combination of flavors, from mild to spicy, offers a satisfying and healthy dining experience for plant-based eaters.
2. Kitfo: For those looking to explore Ethiopian cuisine’s diverse flavors, Kitfo is a must-try. This dish features finely minced raw beef, seasoned with a blend of Ethiopian spices and served with a side of cheese and injera. The unique blend of spices and textures in Kitfo showcases the complexity of Ethiopian culinary traditions.
3. Mahider Special Tibs: The Mahider Special Tibs is a carnivore’s delight. Tender pieces of marinated beef or lamb are sauteed with onions, tomatoes, and a special blend of spices. Served sizzling hot, this dish captures the bold and aromatic flavors that are a hallmark of Ethiopian cooking.
“Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant is a hidden gem! The Injera Combo is an incredible experience. Sharing the platter with friends and family, digging into the flavorful stews with injera, is a true taste of Ethiopia right here in Salt Lake City.”
“As a vegetarian, I absolutely love the Veggie Combo here. The variety of dishes and flavors is impressive. The injera is always fresh and the service is friendly. Mahider is my go-to spot for authentic Ethiopian cuisine.”
“I can’t get enough of the Kitfo at Mahider. The spiced raw beef is a unique and delicious treat. The restaurant’s cozy atmosphere and welcoming staff make it one of Salt Lake City’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.”
Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant, a family-owned and operated establishment, is undoubtedly one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, celebrated for its authentic Ethiopian cuisine. With signature dishes like the Injera Combo and an extensive menu that includes Veggie Combo, Kitfo, and Mahider Special Tibs, the restaurant offers a culinary journey into the heart of Ethiopia.
They are considered one of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Whether you’re a vegetarian, a meat lover, or seeking a communal dining experience, Mahider delivers an unforgettable taste of Ethiopia in a cozy and inviting setting. They deserve to be ranked among the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Now you know why these are some of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants just waiting for you to discover them. However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of the Salt Lake City top hole-in-the-wall restaurants and that this list is in no particular order.
So, the next time you find yourself in Salt Lake City or if you’re a local looking to explore further, don’t hesitate to embark on your own culinary adventures. Venture off the beaten path, seek out those unassuming facades, and you’re sure to stumble upon more of Salt Lake City’s top hole-in-the-wall restaurants, each with its own delicious surprises. These hidden culinary gems are a testament to the city’s rich food culture, where passion and authenticity shine through in every bite. Enjoy your gastronomic journey through this remarkable city!
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape