Last updated on September 25th, 2023 at 09:14 pm
5 Top Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in Long Beach
These 5 top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach are in a treasure trove of hidden culinary gems, and the five hole-in-the-wall restaurants we explored — Joe Jost’s Tavern, Hole Mole, Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil, The Attic, and The Breakfast Bar — have certainly made their mark on the local dining scene. These establishments showcase a wide range of cuisines, from classic American tavern fare and Mexican delights to comforting homemade dishes and inventive breakfast creations. Now you know why they are some of the best restaurants in Long Beach for you to discover.
However, it’s important to let you know that this is not an exhaustive list of hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. This list is in no particular order.
A lot of great options are in these posts!
Top 5 Barbecue Restaurants in Long Beach
1: Joe Jost’s Tavern
Joe Jost’s Tavern is one of the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach that has been delighting locals and visitors alike for over a century. This family-owned and operated establishment has been serving up delicious food and providing a unique dining experience since its inception.
Joe Jost’s Tavern is a classic American tavern that exudes a warm and welcoming atmosphere. With its wood-paneled walls adorned with memorabilia and vintage beer signs, the restaurant offers a nostalgic ambiance that transports patrons to a bygone era. Located in the heart of Long Beach, this hidden gem has become an iconic institution within the community.
One of the standout features of Joe Jost’s Tavern is its signature food item, the Joe’s Special. This delectable creation is a combination of a pickled egg, a Polish sausage, Swiss cheese, and a special blend of mustard, served on a pretzel roll. The Joe’s Special has become synonymous with the restaurant and is a must-try for any visitor.
Main Menu Items:
1. Joe’s Special: A harmonious blend of flavors, featuring a pickled egg, a juicy Polish sausage, tangy Swiss cheese, and a delightful medley of mustard, all nestled within a soft and savory pretzel roll.
2. Roast Beef Sandwich: Tender slices of succulent roast beef piled high on a fresh French roll, accompanied by a side of Joe’s famous special mustard, creating a mouthwatering combination that keeps patrons coming back for more.
3. Joe’s Special Cheese Sandwich: A vegetarian twist on the Joe’s Special, this sandwich combines slices of Swiss and American cheese, along with tangy pickle chips and the signature mustard, perfectly melted between two slices of rye bread.
4. Pickled Eggs: A beloved staple at Joe Jost’s Tavern, these tangy and slightly sweet pickled eggs are the ultimate accompaniment to any meal. Bursting with flavor, they provide a unique and refreshing palate cleanser.
“Joe Jost’s Tavern is a true hidden gem in Long Beach. The ambiance is cozy and inviting, and the food is simply outstanding. I can’t visit without indulging in a Joe’s Special – it’s a flavor explosion that never disappoints!”
“The roast beef sandwich at Joe Jost’s Tavern is hands down the best I’ve ever had. The meat is so tender and flavorful, and the special mustard takes it to a whole new level. This place is a must-visit if you’re in the area.”
“I’ve been coming to Joe Jost’s Tavern with my family for generations, and it never fails to create lasting memories. The friendly staff, the delicious food, and the nostalgic atmosphere make it a tradition that we cherish. Joe’s Special is like a piece of history on a plate.”
Joe Jost’s Tavern is a Long Beach institution, renowned for its timeless ambiance, exceptional food, and warm hospitality. With its signature Joe’s Special and an array of other mouthwatering menu items, this family-owned tavern has remained a beloved spot for locals and visitors to enjoy a unique dining experience. They are one of the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. Whether you’re seeking a taste of tradition or a nostalgic journey through time, Joe Jost’s Tavern is the place to be. They rank in the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach for good reasons.
2: Hole Mole
Hole Mole is one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach that has captured the hearts and taste buds of locals and visitors alike. This family-owned and operated establishment has been serving up mouthwatering Mexican cuisine with a unique twist, creating a delightful dining experience for over a decade.
Hole Mole embodies the essence of a casual and inviting eatery, offering a relaxed atmosphere with vibrant decor and a friendly staff. Located in the heart of Long Beach, this hidden gem has become a go-to spot for those seeking authentic Mexican flavors in a cozy setting.
The signature food item at Hole Mole is the famed California Burrito. This culinary masterpiece combines a warm flour tortilla stuffed with tender grilled steak or chicken, melted cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, and a hint of hot sauce. The California Burrito is an explosion of flavors and textures that has garnered a dedicated following among patrons.
Main Menu Items:
1. Hole Mole Bowl: A satisfying and healthy option featuring a base of cilantro-lime rice or mixed greens, topped with your choice of protein (such as grilled chicken or marinated tofu), black beans, fresh vegetables, and a drizzle of tangy house-made salsa.
2. Enchiladas Suizas: A classic Mexican favorite, these enchiladas are filled with tender shredded chicken, smothered in a rich and creamy tomatillo sauce, and topped with melted cheese. Served with rice, beans, and a side of guacamole.
3. Baja Fish Tacos: Crispy beer-battered fish nestled in soft corn tortillas, topped with shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, and a tangy chipotle mayo. These tacos offer a delightful balance of flavors and textures that will transport you to the shores of Baja California.<
4. Veggie Quesadilla: A vegetarian delight, this quesadilla is packed with sautéed bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and melted cheese, all folded into a golden tortilla. Served with sour cream and guacamole, it’s a perfect option for those seeking a satisfying meatless meal.
“Hole Mole is hands down the best Mexican food joint in Long Beach! The California Burrito is my go-to order every time I visit. The flavors are out of this world, and the portion size is incredibly generous. I can’t recommend this place enough!”
“The Hole Mole Bowl is my new obsession! It’s the perfect combination of fresh ingredients, and the house-made salsa adds a burst of flavor. This place has become my regular spot for healthy and delicious meals.”
“The Baja Fish Tacos at Hole Mole are simply divine. The fish is always crispy and flavorful, and the chipotle mayo adds just the right amount of kick. It’s a taste of coastal bliss right here in Long Beach.”
Hole Mole is a hidden gem in Long Beach, offering a delightful escape into the world of Mexican cuisine. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. With their signature California Burrito and an array of mouthwatering menu items, this family-owned restaurant provides a warm and inviting atmosphere where customers can indulge in authentic flavors and satisfying meals. Whether you’re craving a hearty burrito or a refreshing bowl, Hole Mole promises a culinary experience that will leave you craving more. They stand out among the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach.
3: Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil
Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is another of the legendary hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach that has been delighting diners with its comforting fare for over 70 years. This family-owned and operated establishment has become a beloved institution within the community, offering a warm and welcoming atmosphere coupled with exceptional homemade cuisine.
Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is a classic American diner-style restaurant, known for its hearty comfort food and delectable baked goods. Located in the heart of Long Beach, this establishment has stood the test of time, maintaining its commitment to quality and exceptional service.
The signature dish at Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is their renowned Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie. This luscious dessert features a buttery and flaky crust filled with tangy lemon curd, topped with a towering cloud of fluffy meringue. The pie is a perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors, creating a memorable culinary experience for all who try it.
Main Menu Items:
1. Homestyle Meatloaf: A comforting classic, Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil’s meatloaf is made from a special blend of ground beef and seasonings, baked to perfection and served with creamy mashed potatoes, gravy, and seasonal vegetables. It’s a nostalgic and satisfying dish that feels like a warm embrace.
2. Chicken Pot Pie: A true crowd-pleaser, this hearty pot pie is filled with tender chunks of chicken, mixed vegetables, and a savory cream sauce, all encased in a flaky pastry crust. Served with a side salad, it’s a wholesome and delicious meal that hits all the right notes.
3. Belgian Waffle Combo: A breakfast favorite, this dish features a fluffy Belgian waffle served with a choice of bacon, sausage, or ham, and two eggs cooked to your liking. It’s a delightful combination of sweet and savory that will satisfy your morning cravings.
4. Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast: A flavorful option for those seeking a lighter fare, this dish showcases a succulent chicken breast filled with sautéed spinach and creamy feta cheese, served with rice pilaf and steamed vegetables. It’s a satisfying and well-balanced choice for any meal.
“The Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie at Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is the best I’ve ever had. The crust is perfection, the lemon filling is tangy and refreshing, and the meringue is so fluffy and light. It’s a slice of heaven!”
“I can always count on Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil for a hearty and delicious meal. The homestyle meatloaf is pure comfort food, and their chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort in a flaky crust. This place feels like home, and the food never disappoints.”
“The Belgian waffle combo is my go-to breakfast choice. The waffle is always golden and crispy, and the eggs and bacon complete the meal perfectly. Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil has the best breakfast in town!”
Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is a Long Beach institution, beloved for its warm and inviting atmosphere, homemade comfort food, and delightful baked goods. They are another of the legendary hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. With their signature Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie and an array of classic dishes, this family-owned restaurant continues to provide a memorable dining experience for locals and visitors alike. Whether you’re craving a slice of pie or a satisfying home-cooked meal, Jongewaard’s Bake n Broil is a must-visit destination for those seeking delicious fare and a welcoming ambiance. They deserve to be ranked among the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach.
4: The Attic
The Attic is one of the favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. This family-owned and operated establishment has been delighting diners with its eclectic fusion cuisine for over a decade. With its cozy and inviting atmosphere, The Attic offers a unique dining experience that combines comfort food with creative twists.
The Attic is a gastropub-style restaurant, known for its innovative dishes and warm hospitality. Located in the heart of Long Beach, this hidden gem has gained a loyal following and has become a beloved destination for locals and visitors alike.
The signature dish at The Attic is the famous Mac ‘n Cheetos. This indulgent creation features a bed of creamy macaroni and cheese, topped with a crunchy Cheetos crust and drizzled with a tangy sriracha aioli. The Mac ‘n Cheetos perfectly embodies The Attic’s inventive approach to comfort food, combining familiar flavors with a playful twist.
Main Menu Items:
1. Southern Fried Chicken Benedict: A delightful brunch option, this dish features tender buttermilk fried chicken served on a fluffy biscuit, topped with poached eggs and smothered in creamy hollandaise sauce. Served with a side of seasoned breakfast potatoes, it’s a flavorful and satisfying start to the day.
2. BBQ Pork Belly Grilled Cheese: A decadent twist on a classic sandwich, this grilled cheese is loaded with melt-in-your-mouth pork belly, tangy barbecue sauce, melted cheese, and caramelized onions, all pressed between buttery toasted bread. Served with a side of fries, it’s a crave-worthy combination of flavors and textures.
3. Cajun Shrimp and Grits: This Southern-inspired dish features succulent shrimp sautéed in a flavorful Cajun spice blend, served on a bed of creamy cheddar grits and accompanied by smoky andouille sausage. The combination of spices and textures creates a harmonious and satisfying dish.
4. Mushroom Truffle Burger: A gourmet delight for burger lovers, this juicy patty is topped with sautéed mushrooms, melted Swiss cheese, arugula, and a luscious truffle aioli. Served on a toasted brioche bun with a side of seasoned fries, it’s a treat for the taste buds.
“The Attic never fails to impress! The Mac ‘n Cheetos is a game-changer. It’s comfort food taken to a whole new level. The combination of creamy mac ‘n cheese and crunchy Cheetos is pure genius!”
“The Southern Fried Chicken Benedict at The Attic is my go-to brunch choice. The fried chicken is perfectly crispy, and the hollandaise sauce adds a luxurious touch. It’s a mouthwatering dish that keeps me coming back for more.”
“I had the Mushroom Truffle Burger, and it was a flavor explosion! The combination of the earthy mushrooms, the truffle aioli, and the perfectly cooked patty was absolutely divine. The Attic never disappoints!”
The Attic is a hidden culinary gem in Long Beach, offering an eclectic fusion of flavors in a cozy and inviting setting. They are one of the favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. With its signature Mac ‘n Cheetos and a menu filled with innovative dishes, this family-owned restaurant provides a unique dining experience that combines comfort food with creative twists. Whether you’re craving indulgent mac ‘n cheese or gourmet burgers, The Attic promises a delightful culinary journey that will leave you craving more. They have earned the rank of being one of the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach.
5: The Breakfast Bar
The Breakfast Bar is one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. This family-owned and operated establishment has been serving up scrumptious breakfast fare for over a decade. With its cozy and inviting atmosphere, The Breakfast Bar offers a charming dining experience that captures the essence of a classic breakfast joint.
The Breakfast Bar specializes in breakfast and brunch, focusing on hearty and comforting dishes made with love. Situated in Long Beach, this hidden gem has become a beloved spot for locals and visitors to start their day with a satisfying meal.
The signature dish at The Breakfast Bar is their famous Stuffed French Toast. This indulgent creation features thick slices of fluffy French toast, filled with a luscious cream cheese and fruit compote filling. Topped with powdered sugar and served with a side of maple syrup, it’s a breakfast treat that exemplifies The Breakfast Bar’s commitment to delicious and decadent flavors.
Main Menu Items:
1. The Classic: A breakfast staple, this dish includes two eggs cooked to your liking, accompanied by your choice of bacon, sausage, or ham. Served with hash browns or breakfast potatoes and toast or pancakes, it’s a traditional and satisfying option to kickstart your day.
2. Breakfast Burrito: A hearty option for those craving a flavor-packed meal, this burrito is filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, your choice of bacon, sausage, or chorizo, and a medley of vegetables. Served with a side of salsa and sour cream, it’s a handheld delight that combines breakfast favorites.
3. Eggs Benedict: A brunch favorite, this dish features perfectly poached eggs, Canadian bacon, and hollandaise sauce atop a toasted English muffin. Served with a side of hash browns or breakfast potatoes, it’s a classic choice that never disappoints.
4. California Omelette: A taste of the West Coast, this omelette is filled with avocado, diced tomatoes, onions, and a blend of melted cheese. Served with your choice of toast or pancakes and hash browns or breakfast potatoes, it’s a flavorful and satisfying option for omelette lovers.
“The Stuffed French Toast at The Breakfast Bar is heavenly! The combination of the creamy filling, the fluffy French toast, and the sweetness of the fruit compote is pure bliss. It’s the ultimate breakfast indulgence.”
“The Classic breakfast is my go-to order at The Breakfast Bar. The eggs are always cooked to perfection, and the crispy bacon and hash browns complete the meal. It’s a reliable and delicious choice to start my day.”
“The Breakfast Bar has the best Eggs Benedict in town. The eggs are always perfectly poached, and the hollandaise sauce is velvety and rich. It’s my favorite brunch spot in Long Beach!”
The Breakfast Bar is a hidden delight in Long Beach, offering a cozy and inviting atmosphere paired with mouthwatering breakfast and brunch options. They are one of the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach. With their signature Stuffed French Toast and a menu filled with classic dishes, this family-owned restaurant provides a comforting and satisfying start to the day. Whether you’re craving traditional breakfast favorites or indulgent delights, The Breakfast Bar is a must-visit destination for breakfast lovers seeking delicious flavors in a warm and welcoming setting. They can definitely be counted among the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach.
However, it’s important to note that this list is by no means exhaustive. Other exceptional hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach are waiting to be discovered. From authentic ethnic eateries to fusion hotspots and unique culinary ventures, there are countless hidden gems that cater to every palate. This is why they are some of the best restaurants in Long Beach for you to discover.
So, while we’ve introduced you to some of the top hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach, we encourage you to venture out and explore the vibrant food scene further. Embark on your own culinary journey, discover new flavors, and uncover more hidden treasures that this city has to offer. You never know when you might stumble upon a few new favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Long Beach, where both the food and the experience will leave a lasting impression.
You May Want to Join The World Recipes With Our Big Escape
Share your own recipes in our Facebook Group. Find recipes from all over the world. Learn more about International Cuisine and how you can surprise you family with new and exciting foods from all over the world.
For More Photos Visit Our Instagram at World Recipes Daily – Our Big Escape